Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name The Last Time There Was So Much Naked

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
KAT said:
you guys get offendended by "skin"
you want other people to accept your style so why is it so hard to accept theirs. doesnt matter how they walk around!we all know its sloppy and not pretty and we all wish they would dress nicer! style is just not something everybody has! Im just asking myself right now who the "ignorant ones" are ? most americans are religious people and doesnt the bible say that god created us that way? he never gave us clothes! not even a pretty 40s dress!
you even get offended by ice cream!!! and paper towels!!!! ..:rolleyes:
end of story for me.

:)
obviously you haven't read the bible further. It also mentions that our body is a temple. But also a temporary tent and the only one we will have on this earth so we better take good care of it. There are MANY references to taking care of ourselves. He did create us, and he told us guidelines on keeping us looking our best and feeling our best.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
LaMedicine said:
Awwwww:cry: But...but...but.....even when we pedicure our feet? I mean, what's the sense in those pedicures that we put hours into (and money into, to boot) if we couldn't show them off in sandals in the summer....:cry:
but you also have to realize LaMedicine, is that the majority of people..at least to me it seems, do not take the time to take care of their feet, and 'pretty' them up. I have gotten MANY compliments on my feet...but, I am almost obsessive about keeping them their best since ugly feet are a pet peeve to me. Feet are not ugly at all to me, as long as they are well taken care of....babies feet has to be the most adorable thing :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
KAT said:
[huh] i cant write out simple fruit names (and you guys got offended by fruits- not me...you read to much into it- not me) but see that crispy nude "ape man?" whats wrong with that?
@ProperRogue: we dont use the terms paper towels and ice cream...if you dont tell your kids the correct words for it...ill be dissapointed in you:D

and please: guys: next time you go to the grocery store: please take the short cut and try to ignore the fruit section...you might get offended:D lol
i dont get it: fruit is so healthy for you!lol

:) ;) kathy (hope i didnt offend)
KAT, ...but in this place, I for one, love coming here because of the higher standards of conduct/speech than you find most places on the net.

Etienne

A-List Customer
The whole concept of "shouldn't judge" is ludicrous! First of all, from whose standard does the "shouldn't" come from, and second, we all make dozens of judgements every day! About everything. We "judge" based on information and experience and other indicators and if we didn't make judgements about things we'd self-annihilate. We judge that water is safe or not safe to drink, that cars are traveling at a certain rate of speed when we step into the street to cross, that a snake we see might or might not bite us, that a dog is friendly or not. We judge about everything, all the time! We judge whether things and people are good for us or not good for us. We judge whether art is good or not good or mediocre. We judge whether certain politics are good or not good for us, whether music and food and books are good or not good. And we judge, as a society, what things are good or not good for us. So it seems completely consistent to make judgements about clothing also, as well as about the ramifications our manner of dress has upon our society.

Ultimately, we make judgements connected with our values. If we value treating each other with respect, if we value modesty, self-restraint, and appropriateness, we judge one way. If values center around my right to dress however I want, whenever I want, regardless of anyone else--if it's about my "right" to expose myself in whatever manner I want--then we judge another way. I believe that the first fosters civility and mutual respect, and that the second fosters self-absorption and self-centeredness. I "judge" that, on the whole, we are largely in the second camp.

magneto

Practically Family
Fred G. said:
Now, personally, I have nice feet. But, I too, have seen some really gross stuff: yellow and/or scraggly-looking nails, hammer-toes, curled up, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da. Unless they are absolute beauties, cover'em with shoes.
And even if the feet are nice, it's a little less attractive to be walking in a dirty sooty city in sandals, so that your soles and heels are visibly dark gray to passers-by :p

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
People may be checking out the feet..but not that closely! People seem to do a lot less walking nowadays. At least around here, it's maybe 10 steps outside to your car, drive to where your destination is, and another 10 steps into the building...feet very rarely have a chance to get dirty.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Etienne said:
The whole concept of "shouldn't judge" is ludicrous! First of all, from whose standard does the "shouldn't" come from, and second, we all make dozens of judgements every day!
Ultimately, we make judgements connected with our values. If we value treating each other with respect, if we value modesty, self-restraint, and appropriateness, we judge one way. If values center around my right to dress however I want, whenever I want, regardless of anyone else--if it's about my "right" to expose myself in whatever manner I want--then we judge another way. I believe that the first fosters civility and mutual respect, and that the second fosters self-absorption and self-centeredness. I "judge" that, on the whole, we are largely in the second camp.

Of course people judge. BUT...there is a difference methinks....between personal judgement and the type of judgment that Kat is responding to here.

The type of judgement that seems to (by all appearances) be going on here is not the 'oh that person might be dressed wrong for the occasion' type of judgement but rather the 'We set the standards and judge all people by -OUR- standards of dress and morality and civility, and find all those not up to our standards, just simply not as good as ourselves'

There is a drastic difference between these two things, and the second leads to judgemental, santimonious people.

There seems to be a whole set of threads here that in effect cry 'oh why are our values and style being so ignored by the unwashed masses? Don't they know -we- have it right! How dare they!'

I do beleive that judging something can be done without coming across as poorly as sometimes these arguments about 'us vs the un-fedora'd masses' do.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, and it's just common sense, common decency.
I think most people here do not really judge the people that are in disagreement with the values we here embrace. It's the "values" and "morals" that have invaded our society just over the last 50 years or so in history that we judge as being unacceptable.

So, how many of the people mentioned in the first post were exposing their breasts, posteriors, genitals? You know: the things that would make it illegal (rightly or wrongly) for them to be getting around how they were. Walking around "naked" rather than simply exposing belly, butt crack or whatever else you wish to name as offensive.

This whole thing seems to come down to aesthetics rather than decenecy, morality or any other kind of value judgement. So, you don't like to see skin? Get over it. Skin is skin is skin is skin. Going down this track we could also say that any cleavage or exposure of arms is offensive (sorry to single ye out, ladies - your avatars are just above this post -, but see the current avatars of Mysterygal and KAT). I do not find these offensive. But Kat's avatar is exposing more skin than what is described above of some of the "offensive" people.

bk

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Tony...

Tony in Tarzana said:
TipoftheHomburg.jpg
... you're a Class Act.

- Mark

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Is my dress really showing off too much skin? [huh]
I agree, we all judge. But, this is where manners come into play. I come across the 'thong hanging out of jeans' type on a daily basis. Even though I may think that is inappropriate for public wear, I will still be as friendly as possible.
Looking in stores, in seems the trend of wearing hardly anything at all is slowly passing. Though, it is just the beginning of summer, so I guess we'll just have to see!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Maybe I should cover up more, too!

From an interview with Miuccia Prada:

"With women, the more unhappy they are, the more undressed they are. This is true. Dignity’s another very important part of this. Sex and the City is the opposite of dignity. You have to have dignity for your body—this is with men and women. You need to have dignity towards how you are, how you dress, how you behave. Very important. Men are always much more dignified than most women."

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
Is my dress really showing off too much skin? [huh]
I agree, we all judge. But, this is where manners come into play. I come across the 'thong hanging out of jeans' type on a daily basis. Even though I may think that is inappropriate for public wear, I will still be as friendly as possible.
Looking in stores, in seems the trend of wearing hardly anything at all is slowly passing. Though, it is just the beginning of summer, so I guess we'll just have to see!

I think the point of it was to say 'in somebody's opinion somewhere' yes.....your dress would be too revealing for them.

Its all about applying one standards to other people. Someone might think you are being too revealing, other people wouldn't. It's like the Baron K says....asthetics...which is a very individualized thing.

KAT said:
Im a poor soul i guess- Im sorry

Don't worry, KAT; it's an American thing. Over here, when TV documentaries show breast surgery, they blur out the nipples. For Pete's sake: must we sexualize everything, even the nipples of a breast being operated on? This in a society that finds public breastfeeding "uncomfortable". I don't understand it, and apparently you share my perplexity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou