Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name The Last Time There Was So Much Naked

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mysterygal said:
I don't know if this is what Scot was getting at, but I too have noticed how overweight society is, but not only that, plump or skinny, most people look sick. You don't see someone with a healthy glow to their skin. I don't know if it's just because I'm health conscious [huh] but it is concerning to me to see people not looking well

People eat such high-fat low-nutrition diets these days. It's more expensive to buy organic or natural foods, true, but there are really remarkable stats out there. For example, in the past 40 years people have in general gone from spending 18% of their income on groceries to 9%. The nutrition value of cheap foods tends to be lower and the caloric content to be higher. I personally think it's worth it to spend the extra money.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
I don't know if this is what Scot was getting at, but I too have noticed how overweight society is, but not only that, plump or skinny, most people look sick. You don't see someone with a healthy glow to their skin. I don't know if it's just because I'm health conscious [huh] but it is concerning to me to see people not looking well

I agree with you. I've had a lot of people tell me I look "wholesome" and young for my age. That's because I don't eat modern processed garbage, I don't drink and I don't lay out in the sun or go to tanning booths. So much of what people on the go eat is dreadfully unhealthy and will only lead to obesity and poor health. Record numbers of kids are obese due to lack of physical activity (playing too many video games!) and too much junk food. While grocery shopping I am appalled at what some people are feeding their kids, and themselves. A lot of what is on the shelves today is more like products with added food!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
People eat such high-fat low-nutrition diets these days. It's more expensive to buy organic or natural foods, true, but there are really remarkable stats out there. For example, in the past 40 years people have in general gone from spending 18% of their income on groceries to 9%. The nutrition value of cheap foods tends to be lower and the caloric content to be higher. I personally think it's worth it to spend the extra money.

I agree, and I suspect a lot of the money once spent on groceries is now spent on fast food. We have a high grocery bill because we buy lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, locally raised beef, etc. We also don't go out drinking nor to the picture shows (we have TCM at home!) so for many families I think it's a matter of priorities. I've seen many lower income families buy crap food but have stellar TV and stereo systems.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
PrettySquareGal said:
That's the thing- I don't want to see anybody's booty! Fat or thin!
lol agreed! Hopefully this is not off topic, but, with eating healthy, I not only look healthy on the outside, but I have SO much more energy as well . Everytime I eat something like cake , high sugar food, I feel so lethargic and unmotivated...which is NOT good when there's three kids running around! ;)
It does cost me a little more to eat well, but really, the difference is not as much as some might think. It is so well worth it to take care of yourself.

Lion

New in Town
I think part of the problem is the lack of options. Wether it was the industry responding to the demands of the public, or the public bowing to the indusrty dosen't matter at this point. If you fall outside a certain range of sizes, your options are limited.

Take me for instance. I have a 52" chest. Finding something in my size at a thrift store is hard. Finding something nice is almost as rare as hen's teeth. My chest size is due to a large ribcage and muscle mass, not fat (waist size is another story :( ). So, depending on the cut, I sometimes need a 54. My average waist size is 40 (On a good back day 38, on a bad one 42). However, I often have to get dress pants in 42 because there isn't enough room in the uper legs and or the seat. That whole muscel thing again. This makes buying on line a real crap shoot. Buying new in a store is my best option. Problem is, at my price point, a lot of things aren't available in my size. They just don't make a lot of jackets and nice vests in size 52. Even spending more than I want, there just aren't many options. 48 is the normal cutoff point. Maybe 50. Heck, even dress shirts are a problem. I'm a 17" neck, but have to get 18" to get enough room in the chest. Dressing nice isn't easy.

For large women, its even harder. Its like the clothing designers are punishing them for being fat. God awful prints and gaudy colors. They charge a lot for it too. Even the casual stuff tends to be exspensive.

The point to all of this rambling is, its not always the people. Sometimes they wear what they do because that's all they can find and afford.

Leo

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Please understand

There are many of us here who struggle with weight, myself included. I fear I have offended members of The Fedora Lounge. That was ABSOLUTELY not my intent and I sincerely apologize.

This has gone a direction I did not foresee. My bad.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
here to the rescue Scot!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
raiderrescuer said:
Is this more along the lines of what we all have in mind for Beach Wear ?

wo1.jpg
lol ok, don't have to cover up that much skin! That's what I love about vintage 'looking' bathing suits. They are very flattering, leaves something to the imagination and very stylish

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
There are many of us here who struggle with weight, myself included. I fear I have offended members of The Fedora Lounge. That was ABSOLUTELY not my intent and I sincerely apologize.

This has gone a direction I did not foresee. My bad.
No apology necessary! Your original post was not intended to insult people of any particular body type. What I read was a frustration at people letting it all hang out everywhere. We should all try to keep the discussion on its intended track.

Etienne

A-List Customer
One of my college courses (Home Ec major) was an apparel class. The first day of the semester, the instructor had us take out a sheet of paper and write down a description of the clothing we were wearing that day. She then asked us to write down what we were trying to say about ourselves via our clothing. There ensued a LONG discussion about the disconnect between what we said we'd like to project to the world about ourselves, and what our clothing ACTUALLLY projected. It was a valuable learning tool that I have never forgotten!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
No apology necessary! Your original post was not intended to insult people of any particular body type. What I read was a frustration at people letting it all hang out everywhere. We should all try to keep the discussion on its intended track.

Look at most any thread....read the original post and then the last one. You really have to wonder how it ended up so far off track. I guess that's just how normal conversation goes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
well, like I said to Scot, that's the frustrating aspect of having conversations via internet. There is so much lost in communication. With me, I really like reading the other person's face so I can know whether that person is understanding me fully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80