Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NaNoWriMo

zaika

One Too Many
I know I'm early, still...but I'm so excited to get going!!

Is anyone doing it this year? My user name is Zaika Krasivaia on their website, please "friend" me. I'd love to have a bunch of friends to motivate me to finish this year. Yes...my novel will be a period piece. :D

If you write and you don't know what NaNoWriMo is...check it out!

Kishtu

Practically Family
I've often thought about it.... would it be cheating to have your novel written in your head already before you started, you think? ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Kishtu said:
I've often thought about it.... would it be cheating to have your novel written in your head already before you started, you think? ;)

You can only cheat if you have someone else's novel written in your head. :eek:

missmelly

One of the Regulars
2nd Attempt at finishing

This will be my second year. Last year, I was in a car accident mid November and wasn't really motivated afterward to continue on. I have already done an outline and scratched out certain ideas as they come to me. It will be historical fiction set right here in P-town Oregon (early teens into the 20s).
My user name on the site is "darthmaulanie" if you want to add me as a friend. Good luck to everyone doing it this year.
Happy scribbling!

Kishtu

Practically Family
Well, I'm on for it.... if anyone wants to add me as a friend I'm (astonishingly enough) Kishtu....

zaika

One Too Many
Kishtu said:

not at all! my project will be a rewrite of something i'v been working on forever. lol

zaika

One Too Many
Josephine said:
Why do they do it in November? ::head desk:: Hello, Thanksgiving? I have so much to do for that holiday that I can never finish. :p

ha. i've never thought about that. but i usually don't celebrate that holiday 'cause i'm all by my lonesome...so i have plenty of time!! lol

zaika

One Too Many
missmelly said:
This will be my second year. Last year, I was in a car accident mid November and wasn't really motivated afterward to continue on. I have already done an outline and scratched out certain ideas as they come to me. It will be historical fiction set right here in P-town Oregon (early teens into the 20s).
My user name on the site is "darthmaulanie" if you want to add me as a friend. Good luck to everyone doing it this year.
Happy scribbling!

hahahaha. i like your username!! :D

and i'm sorry to hear you were in an accident. hope you're healed up by now? scary...

zaika

One Too Many
Jack Scorpion said:
Did it last year. Successfully. Trying my hand at more short stories these days, so I'll probably be passing this time around.

how? how did you do it? i sit down to write and nothing comes. nothing. ??? this year i'm going to attempt to just write anything down, even if it's utter rubbish.

katylouise

New in Town
I've wanted to do this for awhile, so here goes nothing! I'm a Creative Writing major, you would think this would be right (write? lol) up my alley!

I too focus more on short stories, so I think I will make this a collection rather than a novel. Fun!

I'm username katylou

:)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
zaika said:
how? how did you do it? i sit down to write and nothing comes. nothing. ??? this year i'm going to attempt to just write anything down, even if it's utter rubbish.

Now that I think of it, it was the year before last. 2005.

I admit I had a great deal in mind before Nov 1. Not in outlines or anything concrete, but the story (mostly character) was an oldie in my head. I didn't normally write straight-up Chandler-Marlowe style detective stories, but I knew that if I started one, I'd never run out of ideas. Hence, 50,303 words in 30 days. And detective Jack Scorpion didn't even get to finish the case. (In fact, I still haven't finished it.)

The year before that, I tried and failed. I miserably failed at 47,000 words for reasons of laziness and an overburden of schoolwork. That story was an absurdist adventure tale in the style of A Wrinkle in Time. Likewise, in a crazy fantasy adventure story where every turn around the corner is a new mysterious encounter, one can never run out of ideas.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the reminder about this Zaika--I'm in! I wrote a mini-novel earlier in the year and I keep meaning to finish it (and not doing it). I've also got my second story pretty well mapped out but it needs to be written. We shoud definitely have a thread here so we can check in with and encourage each other.

Novella

Practically Family
I've made it an annual tradition to sign up and not finish. I tend to get distracted with other projects and school work and forget about it until December hits and I wish I'd put more effort in it. I never run short of ideas, that's actually my problem. I start a story, and then I think of an idea that I believe is better, so I abandon the first story.

zaika

One Too Many
Jack Scorpion said:
The year before that, I tried and failed. I miserably failed at 47,000 words for reasons of laziness and an overburden of schoolwork.

HA!!!! lol that's failing miserably? oh dear. try not getting past 10,000 each year since 2003. sorry to laugh. it's just that i would be very proud of myself to finish the month at 47,000 words. you should too. that's a great accomplishment!

hope i didn't offend. ;)

zaika

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
We shoud definitely have a thread here so we can check in with and encourage each other.

That's what I was hoping would happen. We can come together now, see who's doing it, and then keep in touch. Hopefully we can share a little, too. :) I have no problem sharing the utter crap I come up with. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW