Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Day of Prayer?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I do not need any nation telling me when to pray.
So the answere is no.
Besides, I live in a country where church and government is seperated.
Thanks God!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
It was marked on my calendar and fully intended to participate, unfortunately I had a nasty stomach bug or food poisoning. The only praying I was doing that day was a good bit more self-centered. :eek: The first I remembered it was actually on Friday when I started reading this thread, and I was sorry to have missed it. I'm glad you had a wonderful meeting Foofoogal. :)

How's that? How, precisely, does an off-topic post which refers only to a single other post kill a thread? I mean, there's no great leap of logic involved in connecting my post with the immediately preceding post, right? Unless you're claiming that the mention of the word altar in the same sentence (not that it was really a sentence) as the mention of a toilet is in some lunatic way offensive to the notion of "altar", or the act of kneeling in front of one, i fear your powers of argument have let you down. Even in the midwest I heard the toilet referred to thusly (porcelaine altar) when used in such a manner, so claims of idiomatic confusion are not possible.

In fact I was expressing sorrow at the plight of another member with food poisoning. Again, no great leap to come to that conclusion. (Food poisoning sucks because you spend all day alternating between sitting on and kneeling in front of the toilet, expelling mainly bacteria and water. You prefer the rather more graphic version?)

But i'll desist from such expressions of sorrow in future, just in case i "kill" more threads. People who wish to see thread-killing posts will see them, independent of what the post actually says. FLounge abounds with such claims of "thread-killer" activity. 99% are spurious. Some people allow such claims to pass unheeded. Not I.

I can't be more civilised in my rejoinder than that.

bk

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You crack me up.

Baron Kurtz said:
How's that? How, precisely, does an off-topic post which refers only to a single other post kill a thread? I mean, there's no great leap of logic involved in connecting my post with the immediately preceding post, right? Unless you're claiming that the mention of the word altar in the same sentence (not that it was really a sentence) as the mention of a toilet is in some lunatic way offensive to the notion of "altar", or the act of kneeling in front of one, i fear your powers of argument have let you down. Even in the midwest I heard the toilet referred to thusly (porcelaine altar) when used in such a manner, so claims of idiomatic confusion are not possible.

In fact I was expressing sorrow at the plight of another member with food poisoning. Again, no great leap to come to that conclusion. (Food poisoning sucks because you spend all day alternating between sitting on and kneeling in front of the toilet, expelling mainly bacteria and water. You prefer the rather more graphic version?)

But i'll desist from such expressions of sorrow in future, just in case i "kill" more threads. People who wish to see thread-killing posts will see them, independent of what the post actually says. FLounge abounds with such claims of "thread-killer" activity. 99% are spurious. Some people allow such claims to pass unheeded. Not I.

I can't be more civilised in my rejoinder than that.

bk
I meant, it was a flaming thread with constant activity until you brought that image to the forefront of everyone's minds... and suddenly.... dead silence...

I thought it was great. I LOL'd as they say. Keep up the good work.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I didn't participate in any of the events or other organized activities, but I pray every day anyway. So I guess everyday is day of prayer for me.

Actually......perhaps the meaning is to devote the day to prayer. I wish I was able to do that.....but I am too weak.

I don't think the nation is telling anyone to pray. Why would I be bothered as I don't pray anyway? Therefore, the nation is not telling me to pray. I like to think that as a human being I have a choice int hese matters and I am able to not be bothered by these kind of things, just like someone who may take part may not like the idea of something I take part in, they have as much right to ignore it as you & me. I think that is the sign of a decent person,live & let live, as it were, and not get all pissy about it when something like this takes place.

Sorry for the rude word guys...

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
In fact I was expressing sorrow at the plight of another member with food poisoning.
bk

I thank you for your sympathy about my recent misery. It is indeed one of the most wretched human conditions. I appreciated your concern. I am feeling much better, though I'm quite sure my body hasn't yet forgiven me.

freebird

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
NATIONAL Day of Prayer ?
Isn't that the ol' "all together now"....???

Not at all. It's for those who wish to participate. To put it in a nutshell, it is a day for, those who believe, to meet at a certain time and place, in their community, to pray for God's blessing upon their Countries leaders. It's not mandatory as "National" would sound, it is completely voluntary.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
freebird said:
Not at all. It's for those who wish to participate. To put it in a nutshell, it is a day for, those who believe, to meet at a certain time and place, in their community, to pray for God's blessing upon their Countries leaders. It's not mandatory as "National" would sound, it is completely voluntary.

I agree with this statement.

National Day of Prayer is similar to Earth Day (in concept, not ideologically). No one is forcing you or I to participate but those days are there for people who are of like minds to voluntarily participate together.
On the other hand we have Tax Day where we are forced into doing something even though we might not want to (we participate out of fear of punishment).
Tyranny shows itself more in a national tax day than a national day of prayer.

(Sorry if this is too political. I see it more as a philosophical statement than a political one.)

freebird

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
I agree with this statement.

National Day of Prayer is similar to Earth Day (in concept, not ideologically). No one is forcing you or I to participate but those days are there for people who are of like minds to voluntarily participate together.
On the other hand we have Tax Day where we are forced into doing something even though we might not want to (we participate out of fear of punishment).
Tyranny shows itself more in a national tax day than a national day of prayer.

(Sorry if this is too political. I see it more as a philosophical statement than a political one.)

I agree, NTD isn't celebrated by very many lol unlike the 4th of July and Memorial Day.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think the fear some of us have is that National Day of Prayer could become mandatory, as NTD is now, thus the negative reactions.

Some of us are ever vigilant that it stays a choice.

karol

freebird

Practically Family
I don't believe that it will ever become mandatory. As far as I know there is no-one pushing for it to become so.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I will bite my tongue on this one so as not to offend others, but I have seen some people in certain religions who would love to mandate that this country become a theocracy.

And I have seen it with my own eyes.

karol

freebird

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner said:
I will bite my tongue on this one so as not to offend others, but I have seen some people in certain religions who would love to mandate that this country become a theocracy.

And I have seen it with my own eyes.

karol

True, there are always a few on the fringe, but as far as an organized multi-religion effort there is none.

I think most folks are like me. I don't try to shove religion down anyone's throat, but I'm ashamed either. I don't believe that any one religion has a lock on going to Heaven. My feeling is that Heaven won't be all one color, nationality, or faith, it will be made of many different races, nationalities and beliefs. I believe we are to work out our own faith with "fear and trembling" and if we are in need of correction then that still small voice, most commonly refereed to as our conscience, will let us know where we need correcting. However, IF you choose not to believe, then that is your choice, I'll still pray for you, if only because you're my friend, but I won't try to force it down your throat either. All I ask for is respect for my feelings/beliefs. I'll respect your choice too, might not agree with it, but I'll respect you nonetheless.

Sorry I got so longwinded.:eek: Not trying to preach a sermon, but more or less putting into words what I think many Christians believe. It's sad that the fringe element is usually the ones who get the media coverage.....like that wacko Baptist church in Kansas that protests at our Soldiers funerals....:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner