Natural HH mistery - Help needed!

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Tom71, May 22, 2020.

1. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

Did he plan to store it over a bed of linguini? Perhaps dip his bread in it? Never heard of that treatment.

2. lina

lina Practically Family

^^ Yes, the folks who actually make the jackets (and boots) are always warning against over treating, which those of us that buy them are prone to do. I can't imagine that a new jacket would need any treatment so quickly.

3. navetsea

navetsea My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think aero's guide is directed toward their most used leather that wax stuffed cxl no?

4. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Olive oil has long been used as a leather dressing or treatment.

JMax and handymike like this.
  5. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

...and a salad dressing, or hair treatment :p.

JMax likes this.
  6. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

Learned something new. I actually mentioned it to my wife and she said she likes to put coconut oil on some of her leather garments (she doesn’t own a leather jacket). I had no clue.

7. navetsea

and coconut oil, and I heard mention of fish oil, shuddering to find out to what weird stuff leather has been exposed to in tanneries, seems like whatever we do to it as long as not over do it won't matter much. some wallet maker suggest the oil from our hand is enough to condition the wallet to get nice patina over few months or year of use.

JMax likes this.
  8. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Coconut oil works well!

navetsea and JMax like this.
  9. Fonzie

Fonzie Practically Family

This thread is making me hungry...:rolleyes:

navetsea and handymike like this.
  10. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Wan’t the problem with all the ancient Roman leather disintegrating due to the use of olive oil? ...granted, 2000 years later.

11. navetsea

probably that's why in old days when the soldiers is starving from a long siege, they just eat their leather :) probably taste like jerky

on contrary if we try to eat chrome tanned leather probably would end up straight to ICU bed.... and on the 3rd page on local newspaper :D

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    torfjord and Colin G like this.
  12. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Yeah I don’t see why using olive oil would ruin leather? It will definitely darken it, as will any oil. But to my knowledge you can use a lot of edible oils to condition leather. Coconut oil has already been mentioned. I’ve used rapeseed oil in the past without any issues.

13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

There is a risk of oils going rancid and some oils destroy the integrity of cotton thread so you have seam breakdown. I generally stay away from natural materials as dressing and go straight for Vaseline or Pecards.

14. Tom71

Tom71 One of the Regulars

Hmm hmm, I’ve heard about people applying pasta sauce of pizza over their jackets but no really with great results...;)

15. Tom71

Tom71 One of the Regulars

Anyhow, Breaking News:

Ken has gotten back to me (and super fast too) but the bottom line is, that he too is mystified about the “unaging” of my jacket. He will reach out to Epaulet to see if they have any intel on this.

I guess this either means that Carlos has been right all along, and our sun just isn’t fit for purpose any more. Or my jacket has gone “full Michael Jackson”.
    For me, I will let the journey continue. I will clean the jacket and treat it very, very lightly with boot-polish (following an “obiter-dictum” From Ken), but I will not “over-treat” the hide.

@torfjord, since you are considering the same hide for your Trucker: It IS a great hide and much more subtle than the Vicenza I have handled. Very soft hand, right out of the box and a lovely aroma to it.

navetsea and Torstein like this.
  16. torfjord

torfjord Practically Family

Awwwwwww, man! Now I want it even more!

Also looking forward to hear about the development and what the people at Eupalet says about it.

17. Mrfrown

Mrfrown One of the Regulars

Great thread! Now y’all have me searing a nice little 4oz sleeve of horsehide, absurd amount of butter and salt, oven preheated to 450 for the finishing, aromas overwhelming the kitchen, family says I’m crazy but what do they know

JMax and navetsea like this.