Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Natural Pomade

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Crisco--better_than_butter.jpg

Believe it or not, it's a good skin moisturizer - so much that it's used in burn wards! BIll Watterson thought it good enough for hair sculpting.

shamus

Suspended
Well I was hoping for a real product for the hair. But I don't want my hair to smell like butter.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
My suggestion would be to go to someplace like a Wild Oats or Whole Foods and have a gander through their beauty products/natural heath section...and see what there is..

That is as close to -natural- as you will get in a 'actual hair product'

Unless you want to make hair goop by boiling flaxseeds in some hot water...but that leaves it wet look and is used a lot by ladies trying to make fingerwaves.

I think what has people here confused is the natural...pomade by its nature somewhat is greasy and goopy...hence there really not being a super natural version...well unless you count vaseline ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Golden Era Star Used...

One famous Golden Era fellow used this method for a naturally-pomaded look:
I think that a pre-do washing is optional.
alf1.jpg

The key thing is to get the pomade distributed evenly.
alf2.jpg
alf3.jpg

A careful combing is needed; this product can be a little thick.
alf4.jpg
alf5.jpg

But the results are remarkable.
alf6.jpg

So you may want to visit your nearest grocer for a tub of LARD today!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mineral Oil...

...is one of those things... it's in loads of products but really shouldn't be used on the skin- it works- sure, it's what Johnson's Baby oil is but should really be avoided, especially by those with a sensitive scalp. Sewing machine oil is the same mineral oil.

Coconut oil is good for hair (ask millions of Indians) but oxidizes and goes rancid after a time(although it doesn't smell bad at all). If you can find 'Fractionated Coconut Oil', that's all the better- the waxy 'fraction' is removed, so you don't need to heat it and it has about the same viscosity as mineral oil.

B
T

Wild Root

Gone Home
Royal Crown.

Pomade is the same as Vaseline. They're made of petroleum jelly. The only thing that's different between Vaseline and Royal Crown pomade is that Royal crown has a slight perfume added to give it a sent.

I use Royal Crown it works well and gives my hair that well groomed 30's and 40's look. It isn't very easy to get out but, try using some Dawn or some Palmolive dish soap. Then, apply and work it in good. Wash it out, and then use a good conditioner to replace the protein and such that was removed by the dish soap.

I have such light and thin hair that when I don't use anything in it, it's all over the place and hangs in my face! Aaaa! I hate that! Must have it treated with something to keep it out of my face! And, I don't like moose or jell because it makes hair hard like a helmet. Hair spray is the same, gets all crusty and hard.

Mineral oil is something I'll never use. It works some what but never keeps one's hair in place. Just makes your hair look oily.

=WR=

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Petroleum Jelly...

...strangely enough, this stuff is another product that's not good for the skin, although it's marketed as a 'moisturizer', as well as many for more 'intimate' uses. Another mineral product- bad for skin.

Vegetable or animal, preferably vegetable based products are better- they can enrich the skin or hair, rather than just coat or lubricate it-

B
T

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Just don't washit for a few days...

You should get the same result as when you use an oily substance for a hair grease. I just let my hair grow out from a shaven pate...I sure as heck don't want it to look oily or greasy. I've been using a wax from Paul Mitchell that appears dry when applied but holds my thin hair in place very nicely.

shamus

Suspended
All right after an extensive search, I've found two natural pomades!

First one is called Tancho Pomade Hair Dressing. Nice, and natural, but the lavendar scent gave me a headache. ($7.00 ish.) 2 oz.

Second one is called Giovanni hair dressing. No heavy smell, goes on nice, washes out nice! Highly recommended. All organic and natural. ($10.00 ish) 3 oz.

There is also one by John Masters. Haven't tried it. ($20.00 ish) 2 oz.

And I'm going to be making my own all natural pomade. So if anyone is interested in getting some, let me know. I'll be brewing it up next week sometime when all my supplys come in.

shamus

Suspended
update on the "home brew" pomade hair dressing.

I ordered all natural organic ingredients and spent some time on the double broiler...

First batch... too much bees wax
Second batch... success!

I've made my own, good hold, but not super hold, washes out with regular shampoo and lasts all day. Great scent too... bay rum....

Oh and it doesn't leave your hat all "sticky" inside like other pomades...

I'll tweek it here and there and should have it available for anyone looking for an organic all natural hair pomade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21