Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy Shoulder Boards

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Well, believe it or not, I found an original WWII set of Navy Officer's Khaki Service Dress in a larger size (45R jacket).

So many of those guys back then were 39R and 40R. I guess this guy was a giant football player in that time.

They are in remarkable condition with no holes and a few stains that should be easily removed.

The problem is it comes with original WWII (flat) shoulder boards in a LTJG rank. For my purposes I need a set for a LCDR.

Now I've tried the ebay thing and LCDR ones in great shape are hard to find. I realize the bullion tarnishes on the old ones but I have found other bullion items such as wings that are reproductions.

I have no problem with reproductions as long as they are accurate...like flat shoulder boards verses the more rounded post war/current items.

Any ideas on where to find such animals?

Also, what kind of shirt was worn under these jackets? Was it the cotton khaki or was there a lighter weight khaki like we have in dress shirts these days?

I've waited a long time to get this uniform for my reenacting and want it to be just right. Any help on the rank or the shirt type are welcome.

Trickeration

Practically Family
The uniform I got for my husband came with a cotton khaki shirt. It's fairly lightweight, though not cheap modern light-weight. The label says "poplin 100% cotton sanforized". Also says it's "regulation. It's got that nice tailored fit like you see in the old war films. It's pretty much the same color as the jacket, maybe a tad lighter, but almost just a finer shade than a lighter one.

His is set up as LTJG, his actual current rank. His shoulder boards have tarnished some as well. He also wears his dolphins with his uniform, which get frequent questions and compliments from veterans.

I'm not sure where (other than ebay) you might find the shoulder boards you're looking for though. A military surplus store maybe? Some don't look like they'd have much in the way of vintage pieces, but I went into one looking for camping gear for my son recently and was very happy with what I found. Even though it looked like they only carried modern stuff, I decided to ask if they had a repro items for my w.a.v.e.s. uniform. The guy reached under the counter and pulled out boxes of WWII ribbons, medals, collar and hat devices, buttons, ties and more. I left with everything I needed to finish the uniform.

Well, here are a couple of pictures of my husband's shirt. I'm afraid the color isn't showing up well just now. I'll try taking another tomorrow when it's light. The color may be better in sunlight. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I can ask my husband for you. He's more familiar with modern uniforms than vintage, but he can give you some basic do's and don'ts.
pict3220ts9.jpg

pict3224qp8.jpg

pict3223ki2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw