Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a new idiot box.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I have the Sony I bought in 1990, it's still going.

But then I have also have the Dumont my Grandmother bought in Dec 1949, I suppose I'll have to buy one of those digital converters when the FCC mandated changeover happens.

Sometimes you get lucky.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My TV --

tv.jpg

Funny though, it only gets one channel....

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I managed to snag one of the last of the Sony CRT tube-type HDTVs for less than $500, a floor display model at a local independent electronics store. I absolutely love it. Yeah, it's heavy and it's only a 34" but the picture is superb.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
My personal preference is DLP technology, although the units are too deep to hang on a wall (if that is what you are looking for). Samsung is, in my opinion, the best manufacturer of DLP HDTVs.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I can't reccomend what to get, but I can reccomend what not to get. A Plasma Flatscreen television. They have short lifespans. That's being improved as of now, though.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with HappyFilmLuvGuy, the lifespan of Plasma is a lot shorter than that of an LCD. An LCD's light source can die. Supposedly the lifespan of the light source is 5-7 years. This can be replaced. However, by the time you need to replace this, it might just be cheaper to buy a new television. Always remember the more advanced the technology, the more room for error.

I bought my 32" Winbook LCD 2 years ago, and at the time it was a steal. It's an HDTV, has wonderful built in speakers and was a quarter of the price of brand names. I got mine at Microcenter. Winbook is their private label, I think it's name has since changed but they do still carry their own product line, which cuts down on cost quite a bit. I did a lot of research before I bought mine. What I found out is that a majority of brand name and non-brand name are all made in the same place. I know that the DPI and resolutions differ. But, you can still get a no name brand with a very nice resolution. They have probably greatly improved since I bought mine. Hemingway Jones was so impressed by it that he ended up buying one too!
Just remember to look around, go into different stores and see them up close. What one person might like in an LCD another might not. Write down the names and model numbers of the ones that you like and look for them online. You will more than likely find if for less, even with shipping fees. My neighbor just got a 50" flat screen. He says it's an LCD but I'm pretty sure it's a Plasma. He got a high end Sony and ended up saving a bundle of money by ordering it online. I know when I bought my LCD, they didn't go any higher than 32", if I wanted to go bigger I had to get a plasma. It seems that this isn't the case any longer, but I still think that Plasma screens come in a wider variety of sizes opposed to LCD.
Prices have really gone down since I looked two years ago. I've been wanting to get a flat screen for my living room (the one I have now is in the bedroom) but I have been holding off because the room is kind of big, the wall it would hang on would swallow a 32", and I couldn't afford one that was big enough. Thanks Feraud, now you've got me looking at TV's!!!

Oh, and one more thing. I was speaking with my Dad today who is also in the market for a flat screen. A friend of his told him that he went to a Sony outlet store and they had a bunch of LCD and Plasma TV's that were older models. They were liquidating $9,000 50" flat screens for $1,000 with a warranty!! I think I'm gonna have to take the hour trip to the nearest Sony outlet to see if this is still the case. I have a feeling they probably sold out quickly:(

I hope you find some of this information a bit helpful. All I can really say from my own experience is that I'm very happy with the Winbook I own. My sister and neighbor both have Sony Plasma's, and they are wonderful to look at, but I have heard that they are not as reliable as an LCD and have a higher "burnout" rate, and brand name doesn't necessarily mean better:)

Feraud

Bartender
Thank you all for the advice. Some of it I know and some is new to me.
My wife and I have been looking at televisions from various stores to compare price, model, picture quality, etc.
I think we (or she;) ) has settled on a 46 inch screen lcd. Samsung seems to have the edge over Sony in terms of picture quality.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Make sure you pay attention to its power intake. Some of the larger screns (36" and over) can drink as much (if not more) power than it takes to run a home sized refrigerator. :eek:

LD

Mr. Steve

New in Town
Panasonic?

We run large Panasonic's, 50 inch or so, flat screens that we have up on a wall at work. They work well. The picture is pretty good. I have a Mitsubichi 40" at home that we got in 2000, which has the best picture. Good luck-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn