Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice-hat for TV role

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Much to my suprise, I've landed a recurring part in a local reality-type TV show. Being reality, and low budget, I can wear pretty much what I want. My wife, refering to my somewhat prominant bald spot, made a quip about the camera shooting me from behind, which got me to thinking - I need a new hat! Now, my role is to be a kind of skeptical, grumpy, curmudgeon (hey, i'm playing myself). There's also an overall adventure theme and a minor aviation element. So, I'm thinking khakis and when appropriate, flight jacket. My first hat idea was of course a Fedora, but something more adventursome than dressy. I'm still leaning that way. Then again, I crusher would complete the look, but I may just look silly. Thoughts anyone?

warbird

One Too Many
Akubra! Brown hats, medium to wide brim. Could me any number of styles, Fed, Bushman or several others which can pass for dress or outdoors

David V

A-List Customer
Cheap and easy...that's how I like 'em. Dorfman Pacific canvas safari. Bash it up and you've got a curmudgeonly adventure hat.

This is actually my camping hat.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Normally, I'm an advocate for any excuse to wear a fedora, but I have to make an exception here. Even before I read your own thought about it, I was thinking a crusher would be perfect. Maybe get it dirty so it looks as crusty as the personality it's supposed to go with.

Besides, with the khakis and bomber, a fedora might come across as a cheesy Indiana Jones on the Cheap thing. Viewers might see it as a weak and silly stunt on the part of the show. I think the crusher will play better, especially if it doesn't look too new.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here's my suggestion...

... get a TAN enlisted man's crusher. Wear it without the brass cap device. The look would resemble Stephen Collins as Jake Cutter in "Tales of the Gold Monkey"

036m.jpg

ortega76

Practically Family
I second the vote for a series of hats.

I like the crusher. I like a canvas safari. I think an apple cap or a newsboy in a rugged twill or cordurouy would be a good option and easy to stow/pack.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Well, originally I was going for the cheesy Indiana Jones look! Ok, actually the cheesy Josh Bernstein look, but my wife tells me I'm no Josh Bernstein.... Got to admit I'm now leaning towards the crusher or the US Wings cap, although the idea of a series of hats has a certain appeal. One thing for certain, I know I'd get lots of great ideas here. Thank you all for the input and keep the ideas coming.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
From what you say, I would lean toward the crusher. Be prepared to have this hat propel you to Washington DC cultural icon status if the show is a success! Is it a local access cable show? More details! You may be a legend in the making! You may get license agreements for the production of exact replicas of your famous hat!

gtcaz

New in Town
Akubra Angler, Banjo Patterson, Traveler, or Cattleman?

An Akubra fedora would be nice, but I'd stay away from an Indy bash and go with a different color.

Tilley says curmudgeon to me--maybe the hemp model in Mocha. Not a very dapper lid, though.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
lighting

I'm no cinematographer, and I am sure there are some hanging about the lounge, but one consideration in picking a hat might be the lighting. Will they have the equipment to compensate for any shadows a larger brim might cast on your face, etc.?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The crusher look would be pretty cool and something not often seen.

Hmm, I might even try it someday...

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
ledsled said:
I'm no cinematographer, and I am sure there are some hanging about the lounge, but one consideration in picking a hat might be the lighting. Will they have the equipment to compensate for any shadows a larger brim might cast on your face, etc.?

I'll be getting, or at least seeking out, some advice on this in the next couple of weeks. A few scenes will be shot in a studio, but most of it will be in the field. I (and the rest of the cast) will be followed around by a cameraman and sound tech - I believe it's referred to as "run and gun" shooting in the industry (I'm just learning - if you told me I'd be doing this a month ago, I'd have jaughed at you). The lighting will be poor to nonexistant at times and much of the footage will be filmed using infrared "night vision" equipment.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I vote for the khaki twill crusher, sans insignia. If the lighting on your face is an issue, you can wear the hat tilted way back on your head, a la Bob Crane playing Colonel Robert E. Hogan in Hogan's Heros.
hogans-heroes-2.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
This may seem overly simple and I also run the risk of sounding snarky (although it's not intentional!), but why not just wear whatever hat you're comfortable wearing? Everybody is guilty of it at times, but I think you're overthinking this. Just grab a hat you like the same as you would a shirt or shoes.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Not bad advice at all...but hey, it's an excuse for a new hat! Seriously, I was thinking about it as trying out a "new" look, but you may just be on to something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW