Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need advice on the FITTING ONLY please

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
Yeah it’s too big. You will have room to grow into it.

Snug chest feeling could be the extra material compressing at that area. Sometimes jackets too big with lower armholes can have this feeling.

Just focus on gaining weight and come back to this jacket when winter comes.
Awesome!! Thanks for your knowledgeable response. I appreciate it

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
My apologies, I've not used that photo hosting site Once I clicked into It I see these now. Oops.

So - My question is different. Do you intend to use this as a cold-weather jacket? If so, and being a shearling lined one, I would say you have room under it for sweatshirts, flannels, etc. Maybe even a little too much. But not crazy. It will be significantly warm that way. I don't know what climate you live in, but I live in the US Midwest, were it does get quite cold, but I do not own shearling lined leather jackets.

You have asked about "stretch". No-Not really, but leather jackets, especially ones with very thin linings adjust and develop to the wearer, at least to some extent. I get a sense you are built like I was in college - fairly broad shouldered, but a size 30 waist. I am not that now, but I can see how finding a jacket that fits you, especially with a heavier lining as this one has, may be a little difficult. (For reference I was 6' 1" tall graduating college and 140 lbs, I am now 6' 1" tall and ~ 195 lbs).

Don't be discouraged by all the feedback here. In fact, for some really good advice, just start reading the "What Jacket Are You Wearing Today" thread. That will keep you entertained for a long time. Plus you will see that each of us is on a fit journey as well.

Welcome to FL and hope you enjoy the time & community here.

Last edited:

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
Hard to say how your weight gain is going to be distributed. Maybe put on a couple of T-shirts and two sweatshirts and see how the jacket fits over that. I tend to like a trim, slightly snug fitting jacket so yours looks quite big to me. Good luck packing some pounds back on and I hope the jacket looks great once you do. I certainly don’t think you missed by going to small.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
hi all. i got my dream jacket but i am concerned that it is too small (i am underweight by about 20 pounds or so, i am worried i will be too big when i gain it back)

i gave the measurements of another jacket that fit me well at my regular weight and then asked them to make sure they lelave extra room for the shearling inside and they said they added a half inch. not knowing better, i said okay because they were the experts making it so i assumed they knew better

how does it look? is it too small? will it give/stretch a bit?

full cowhide with shearling interior

Fit is an illusive, frustrating path when it comes to leather jackets; shearling jackets even more so. Your eyes and mind can start to play tricks with you , especially if you are really anticipating a long time arrival, like you were.
Trial and error is unfortunately the only path to figure out fit, and it's a long and arduous journey but it's even more troubling with an expected weight gain. Maybe return the jacket if possible and wait till you are at your target weight?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe you have illusion the jacket being snug because the shearling is fluffy , but that jacket obviously is very big , your hip bone is narrow so even when you gain a lot of weight it will not be undersized, since your question is about if the jacket would fit you 20-25 kilos heavier, yes it will and still have some space for more.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
It’s already been established that the jacket is too big for you now.

This being your dream jacket and having saved for it for a long time, I’d say, you just wait how it FEELS once you reached your weight goal.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
You can gain as much weight as you want and this jacket will still fit. There is no way this jacket is tight in the chest area, if it feels that way to you, the issue lies elsewhere, could be the weight of the jacket or the shearling bunching up due to all the excess material, I don‘t know.

Gain your weight and then try it on again and go from there. I wish you good luck in the weight gain journey and that you are happy with the fit once you reach it.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
My apologies, I've not used that photo hosting site Once I clicked into It I see these now. Oops.

So - My question is different. Do you intend to use this as a cold-weather jacket? If so, and being a shearling lined one, I would say you have room under it for sweatshirts, flannels, etc. Maybe even a little too much. But not crazy. It will be significantly warm that way. I don't know what climate you live in, but I live in the US Midwest, were it does get quite cold, but I do not own shearling lined leather jackets.

You have asked about "stretch". No-Not really, but leather jackets, especially ones with very thin linings adjust and develop to the wearer, at least to some extent. I get a sense you are built like I was in college - fairly broad shouldered, but a size 30 waist. I am not that now, but I can see how finding a jacket that fits you, especially with a heavier lining as this one has, may be a little difficult. (For reference I was 6' 1" tall graduating college and 140 lbs, I am now 6' 1" tall and ~ 195 lbs).

Don't be discouraged by all the feedback here. In fact, for some really good advice, just start reading the "What Jacket Are You Wearing Today" thread. That will keep you entertained for a long time. Plus you will see that each of us is on a fit journey as well.

Welcome to FL and hope you enjoy the time & community here.
thanks, but i'm not really broad at all. 5'6 normally 125-130 pounds. about 105 right now from an illness.

i have room for a giant fur lined parka (which i sometimes used as a jacket itself in the past, it's huge and warm) and i still had room to zip it up.

the pictures i added are with a sweater underneath. i just need to make sure that it fits me when i gain my 20 lbs back and from the feedback i have gotten, every one says it's too big on me so i'm happy about that

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I usually try to post positive comments about “fit”.

In this case, all I’ll say is that you have room to layer with the heaviest fisherman wool sweaters known to man:)

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I usually try to post positive comments about “fit”.

In this case, all I’ll say is that you have room to layer with the heaviest fisherman wool sweaters known to man:)
perfect. i need the extra room, so you're saying it's too big? i ask becuase it's snug in the chest area. (i never really had a well fitted leather jacket so i really don't know what is acceptable, especially with shearling)

others have said that it's snug because it's new and it will compress over time and gaining another 20 pounds will be no problem

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If the jacket is too tight around your chest now, it will be even tighter at +20 lbs. So I would definitely go up one size.
But stop... You had the jacket made for you. So no exchange into a larger size.
The cheapest option is, you get used to the tight feeling. ;)

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
A good fit is tricky enough to achieve with a stable weight. In a 20-25 lb underweight situation I'd say it is impossible to say anything with any degree of confidence about the future fit. I hope you are alright. Sell the jacket and buy one when you are back at stable weight.

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
If the jacket is too tight around your chest now, it will be even tighter at +20 lbs. So I would definitely go up one size.
But stop... You had the jacket made for you. So no exchange into a larger size.
The cheapest option is, you get used to the tight feeling. ;)
do you think a leather tailor/expert can fix it? i mean, i can fit my entire arm in the space while wearing a sweater

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
A good fit is tricky enough to achieve with a stable weight. In a 20-25 lb underweight situation I'd say it is impossible to say anything with any degree of confidence about the future fit. I hope you are alright. Sell the jacket and buy one when you are back at stable weight.
i can't really sell it. nobody will give even half of what I paid

i'd seriously going to lose my mind if it doesn't fit

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
You can gain as much weight as you want and this jacket will still fit. There is no way this jacket is tight in the chest area, if it feels that way to you, the issue lies elsewhere, could be the weight of the jacket or the shearling bunching up due to all the excess material, I don‘t know.

Gain your weight and then try it on again and go from there. I wish you good luck in the weight gain journey and that you are happy with the fit once you reach it.
thanks, so could the shearling be the culprit? i've never had a jacket that was "right" for me (everything i've had was like 2 sizes too big) so i really don't know how to feel, especially with a brand new one that isn't broken in

others have said that they shearling would compress and be fine over time. I certainly hope that is the case

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
I don't think this is an answerable question given that the rest of the jacket is so massively oversized. If you went into a store and tried this on, you'd ask for three sizes down.

"Right now though even with a big hoodie somebody can stick their arm inside easily and open their hand" - you won't put on weight that ever makes this fit.
gotcha. thanks for your replies, i appreciate your time and opinion

jojothenorthstar

One of the Regulars
Hard to say how your weight gain is going to be distributed. Maybe put on a couple of T-shirts and two sweatshirts and see how the jacket fits over that. I tend to like a trim, slightly snug fitting jacket so yours looks quite big to me. Good luck packing some pounds back on and I hope the jacket looks great once you do. I certainly don’t think you missed by going to small.
i tried i with a HUGE parka hoodie (practically a jacket, it's a size medium and insulated with fur/shearling, it makes me look like a fat marshmallow) and i was still able to zip it up. i couldn't move my arms a whole lot, but that was with a sweater and a parka

so it's probably fine?

zebedee

One Too Many
thanks, so could the shearling be the culprit? i've never had a jacket that was "right" for me (everything i've had was like 2 sizes too big) so i really don't know how to feel, especially with a brand new one that isn't broken in

others have said that they shearling would compress and be fine over time. I certainly hope that is the case
Well, ultimately it just depends if you're happy with it. This is the only factor which really matters. You can get used to wearing anything - I once had a pair of boots that were two sizes too big and wore them with extra socks. After a few months, they were ok for me to wear with one pair of socks - they broke in and were somehow ok. The shearling will compress, slightly. If you put on weight (especially at the waist), it will be a better fit after a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner