Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding a great boot.. ideas anyone?

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Other side of the pond...almost

taggers said:
My everyday boots are NPS Weatherbys like this:

http://www.regent-footwear.co.uk/images/Country-footwear/Wetherby.jpg

only in oxblood.

Being as you are on the other side of the Atlantic, I imagine they are pretty scarce, but I am also fond of my steel toe Carolina Loggers:

http://www.shoeline.com/images/image.asp?pixels=300&brand=Carolina&stock=CA9821

Being on a different continent is not the impediment it once was, however.

Hi Taggers,
Actually as luck would have it, I'm in Chicago for a couple of weeks. This is one reason I'm trying to scout out some boots while I'm here. Hoping to find my dream boots on this trip.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some nice boots here.

Anyone have a specific recommendation for very wide
boots? Red Wing isn't making most of their nicer boots
wide anymore. I'm keen to have a 5" or 6" pair of short nice
brown boots for summer wear (it doesn't get hot all that
often in the SF bay area) but can't seem to find a good one.

By wide I mean EEEE (or H) width in American measurement.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Wolverine New Selection - Coming in August

http://www.wolverine1000mile.com/ http://acontinuouslean.com/2009/02/02/first-look-wolverine-heritage-collection/

IMG_0306.jpg

Here for a good price:

http://www.cranes-country-store.com/store/product.php?productid=20753&cat=0&page=1

Doublegun

Practically Family
The Wolverine's are great looking, indeed. I wonder how they'll be sized. There is another boot in that line, the Darby, that I really like. Hopefully that boot will be released earlier rather than later.

I can't imagine these boots will be as well built as the Whites. Thoughts?

IndianaGeo

New in Town
Pulled the trigger

Hi Gents,
Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Wolverine 1,000 Mile boot. I'm a huge fan of the Darby as well. Maybe I'll pick those up on the next go round. In the meantime, I'll wait for my boots to arrive. Will give a review if anyone's interested.
Cheers,
IndianaGeo

JLStorm

Practically Family
feltfan said:
Some nice boots here.

Anyone have a specific recommendation for very wide
boots? Red Wing isn't making most of their nicer boots
wide anymore. I'm keen to have a 5" or 6" pair of short nice
brown boots for summer wear (it doesn't get hot all that
often in the SF bay area) but can't seem to find a good one.

By wide I mean EEEE (or H) width in American measurement.

I wish I could help more, one thing I can say is from my experience stay away from chippewa. They have an excellent wide boot selection, but over the last 10 years I have purchased 5 pairs and they have really lost their quality edge. They are not worth the price they charge (this is for the made in the usa boots).

I dont have wide feet, but if I couldnt buy red wing, I would look at wesco and white's. If your not into the rugged boots there may be other companies, but I use my boots for work so looks are second to function. if you dont need function and are more after style you have a lot more options.

rgraham

A-List Customer
I'll have to disagree with the "stay away from Chippewa boot" comment. I've owned a couple of pairs of their Made in USA boots, and they are fantastic. One pair was of their Rally motorcycle boot, and the other a 10" logger. Both are very comfortable out of the box, as well as solidly built. Why pay twice as much for the Westco or White? Also, Chippewa will rebuild your old boots to as new for a reasonable price. I did pick up a pair of almost new Westco engineer boots in 16" for a very low price, ($10.00) and they aren't all that. I'll wear the Chippewa Rally motorcycle boot over the Westco any day.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JLStorm said:
if you dont need function and are more after style you have a lot more options.
Clearly you do not have 4E width feet!
But thanks to all for the comments regarding Wesco, White, and Chippewa.
I'll find some local stores which carry them and check 'em out.

STW

Familiar Face
I'm glad I read this thread because I will probably get a pair of the Wolverine 1000 mile boot.

But just for the record, and in case someone needs something under $100, consider these:

<http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,1027P_HS-Trask-Sportsman-ES-Boots-Chukkas-For-Men.html>
<http://www.sierratradingpost.com/i/1027P,18,_HS-Trask-Sportsman-ES-Boots-Chukkas-For-Men.html>

Have been using a pair of these H.S.Trask boots for a few months and they are very comfortable. The leather has a good feel and looks like decent quality up close. Double stitching very even and close. Leather lining feels good and has no wrinkles.

They do not seem very rugged at first--the leather seems a little fine for real work. But in my experience, they have held up to tough use and will do fine for many less abusive work boot applications (not cement work, for example). They work great anyway for puttering around the motorcycle adjusting points.

One thing that surprised me is how comfortable they are for walking and hiking. Around the time I got them, I also found that my favorite old Fabiano walking/light-hiking boots had been ruined, so I tried these. After several long (10 mile) walks and a few ~5 hikes on rugged rocky high altitude mountain trails, I found them comfortable and supportive in the rough stuff. Wouldn't use them for extended travel off-trail in talus, but for trails, even with a medium backpack they were great.

My only complaint when they arrived was the discovery that the yellow Vibram label did not mean the hard rubber soles we usually associate with Vibram lugged soles, but a cushier rubber. I doubt that it will hold up as long as hard Vibram but it has lasted fine so far, and the cushion probably contributes to walking comfort.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
I'll cast a vote for the Filson Uplander

They won't polish up super shiny but they're a rugged daily boot . .Bought a new pair for $125 a few years back on the bay . . . and resoled them once.

Moc toe, Vibram sole, brass hardware, USA made (for now)

Are they worth the $300 retail price? . . . Probably not . .

For Winter I use a wool felt footbed liner. And for Summer, Filson's own cork bed . .

They're high ankle/leg . . .but I'd rather have the extra height even if I don't always lace them up all the way . . for rain, snow and dirt in the Northwest . .

Doublegun

Practically Family
Perterra,

What polish do you use on your Russels? I have a pair os Sheep Hunters that I had resoled with a lighter Vibram sole to make them a little more practical. Great boots - love em.

Doublegun

perterra

New in Town
Doublegun said:
Perterra,

What polish do you use on your Russels? I have a pair os Sheep Hunters that I had resoled with a lighter Vibram sole to make them a little more practical. Great boots - love em.

Doublegun

I used a kiwi paste in cordovan and just use saddle soap every other time. Thats the navigator leather and not really considered polishable but a heavy coat of wax and let it dry, buff it hard and it comes to a semi-shine. Good boots but as I'm sure you can attest theyre not for everybody. They are double vamped, the leather is hard, the boots are heavy, but they will last me another 10 years easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24