Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help: Ideas for decorating for a late 40's Christmas

Weston

A-List Customer
That book looks great! Maybe I can get it special ordered at the book store. Hate to spend on shipping...may have to on this one. Keep those ideas and resources coming!

Snookie

Practically Family
Bubble lights! Not my favorite, but perfect for your late 40's theme.

Let's see...that oldchristmaslights site says they were introduced in 1946. Yes, perfect!

Also, find out what the gift paper of the era looked like and make sure your presents are wrapped accordingly. And what types of food should you put out for snacks? Yes, you need that book.

Flivver

Practically Family
Snookie said:
Bubble lights! Not my favorite, but perfect for your late 40's theme.

Let's see...that oldchristmaslights site says they were introduced in 1946. Yes, perfect!

Also, find out what the gift paper of the era looked like and make sure your presents are wrapped accordingly. And what types of food should you put out for snacks? Yes, you need that book.

As a kid growing up in the 1950s, bubble lights were *the* best thing on the Christmas tree!

I convinced my Mom to get some for Christmas of 1956. Believe it or not, two of them still work!

Some other things we have left over from this era are icicles made of spiral twisted aluminum and painted translucent blue, and clear glass ornaments with stripes on them that have cardboard flanges to hang the hooks on. These were purchased in 1944 when metal was going to the war effort.

Interestingly, when I was a kid, we called these tree ornaments "toys".

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Weston said:
I love the way they decorated for Christmas in the late 40's, judging by the movies at least. Any sites, pictures etc. that I could draw inspiration from? What are the must-have items? Thus far I have some vintage silver garland I want to run along the ceiling or around mirrors etc.

Do be careful of vintage garland and "icicles" or tinsel; they frequently contain lead, and it easily leaches onto your hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou