Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help...is it wool?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Its fur felt

Canadave said:
Check out this hat. Do you think it's wool?

Here's a Royal with the current price.

Whatchall think?

David

Thanks to Dave Keith for pointing out the eBay find, and to JP for the current listing.

I think its fur felt. I tried to call the factory but since they filed for Bankruptcy all there numbers have changed. If the hat fits I would buy it if the price stays real low!!

Sharpey :)

Matt Deckard said:
Fur felt and dusty.

Looks like a newer model

That was my surmization as well. Probably not beaver but hare fur but that is still a fur felt. I don't know if Biltmore makes wool felt hats---I mean fedora type hats. They probably make the tweedy sorts. Bollman is the wool felt hat maker. You can find vintage Bollman's from the 40s though. PU! :p They have been around for a long time.
For the Biltmore, see if you can find a Grand Beaver for a decent price.

Regards to all,

J

Biltmore Bob said:
Yeah, but from what animal do they get said fur?

No mention was made of beaver or rabbit.

Well, let's see:

" Firstly the quality of the fur felt which could be a combination of beaver, domestic and/or wild hare fur. Secondly is the type of finishing process of the fur felt body to give it a certain appearance such as smooth, velour or silkiness."

I would imagine the Royal is a heavy weight felt made mostly of hare or rabbit. The difference in bodies is twofold. It can be a rabbit versus a 100% beaver but there are also different grades of these two furs based on what cone they use to blow the fur onto. The 8 cone versus the twelve cone produces much finer fur. The thicker guard hairs and tough fur gets blown through the higher grade cone and leaves the better fine fur behind.
I wish they would explain that to the people more concisely. This is the way you can have a beaver body that really isn't a great body. The grade of cone they used to create it makes all the difference. The Royal body is likely made on the lower grade cone. Not a big deal if you are willing to pay considerably less and are satisfied with accessories that are "mid-quality." No big deal really. If you don't like them have a hatter make it better for less than the price of a Rosellini. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Think I may change my name...

I've been wearing Biltmores for a number of years, and they stand up to the abuse I put them through. But I have to admit the more knowledge I gain in the area of hats, I realize that Biltmore is not "Simply the Best". Good, yeah, but really just fashion hats. My Peters Bros. is better than my Biltmores. When Art gets settled in it's going to be custom for me from now on.

I have been to the Biltmore website several times and left kinda confused. They also told me that my Milan Straw Weave hat was made of hemp fiber. But several here have advised me differently.

Biltmore Bob said:
When Art gets settled in it's going to be custom for me from now on.

I have been to the Biltmore website several times and left kinda confused. They also told me that my Milan Straw Weave hat was made of hemp fiber. But several here have advised me differently.

Hemp?! They must have been smoking that when they told you what it was made from. :p Their site is sort of contentious to deal with. Some links don't go anywhere and sometimes they give you something unexpected. :p
I know what you mean about a custom hat. I will be picking one up from said artist tomorrow. :clap

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner