Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help picking a new ribbon color for my 1940's Barrister

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Hello Everyone,

I need some advice from my fellow loungers. I just got my 1940's Barrister today that I purchased from Ebay last week. I opened the box today, gave it a good steam, and a good brushing. I also re-did the crown (see pictures) and tried to make it look like the crown on my 1950's dobbs which I really love. I also steamed the brim slightly to give it a slight "swoop." The prior owner had put screw type pins into the hat back in the 40's. I thought the pin holes would be small, they were actually pretty big, so I tried to work the felt in order to close the hole gaps. I also sanded, steamed, soft brushed, and hard brushed the holes. I was able to close them for the most part, but in doing so, brought the original color of the felt to the surface where most of the hat has slightly faded. So now it looks like two stains where the pin holes were, but its actually good clean felt. I am going to get a 2 inch band to cover the holes, and after measuring, realized the two inch ribbon would cover both small holes perfectly. I just need some help in deciding what color ribbon I should get. Since the hat has a large bound 2 5/8 inch brim, it kind of reminds me of a whippet. I know that the whippets didnt always have matching ribbons with the bound edge ribbon. If you can tell from the pictures, the ribbon right now is like a very light shade of silverish green. I love the wide 2 inch ribbons on all my hats, and like I said would be perfect for covering the holes. Also, the prior owner had put a pin into the current ribbon, so it just needs to be replaced. Any recommendations on color and bow style? Any help you guys could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. Here are some before and after pictures of the crown redo and hat cleaning:

BEFORE PICTURES:

DSC03196.jpg

DSC03197.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

AFTER PICTURES:

DSC03207.jpg

DSC03205.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03207.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

Forum statistics