Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need opinions on which jacket for a vacation

Asinyne

New in Town
My wife and I are taking a vacation to New England next week. We’ll be walking around Salem as well as doing a little light hiking up in Acadia. I’m torn on which outerwear I want to bring for the chillier times: my Carhartt Detroit or my M-65. I feel like each has their pros and cons when it comes to travel, so I was hoping some of y’all fine folks might be able to help sway me one way or the other. Thanks in advance!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I'll bite, just because I was looking recently for a vintage Carhartt Detroit. I think it is more versatile than an M-65. You don't always want to look like Travis Bickle. So Carhartt it would be for me.

chollie

One of the Regulars
Detroit, cuz I have one and love it. Mine's almost 25 years old at this point and will easily last another 25.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
m65 so the sheriff will offer you a ride to the edge of the town lol, but man I love my m65 repro, I just came back walking 1 hr walk mid day to collect my altered pants the sleeve can be easily scrunched up and the velcro can be adjusted to stay in that position and I also carry m1945 field pack with shoulder strap added

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
m65 so the sheriff will offer you a ride to the edge of the town lol, but man I love my m65 repro, I just came back walking 1 hr walk mid day to collect my altered pants the sleeve can be easily scrunched up and the velcro can be adjusted to stay in that position and I also carry m1945 field pack with shoulder strap added
nice reference

abone

A-List Customer
The best travel jacket I own and have travelled with is a Fjallraven Reporter Lite. Ten pockets, the sleeves detach to make it a vest, the sleeves store flat in a big pocket along the back. It’s rain and wind resistant if recently wax treated and it’s very light.
I typically wear a large, and it’s roomy enough to layer under it.
It’s not one of your choices but close to an M65 with more versatility.

PS I owned the jacket for a few years before noticing during a trip to Portugal, in my hotel room, the sleeves detached. That feature is very unobtrusive!

Attachments

• IMG_9330.jpeg
    IMG_9330.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 36

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The best travel jacket I own and have travelled with is a Fjallraven Reporter Lite. Ten pockets, the sleeves detach to make it a vest, the sleeves store flat in a big pocket along the back. It’s rain and wind resistant if recently wax treated and it’s very light.
I typically wear a large, and it’s roomy enough to layer under it.
It’s not one of your choices but close to an M65 with more versatility.

PS I owned the jacket for a few years before noticing during a trip to Portugal, in my hotel room, the sleeves detached. That feature is very unobtrusive!
Very cool. Fjallraven is good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner