Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some wingtip spectator help folks...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hi all!

I've been hunting around for a good pair of brown & white leather Wingtip spectators. I had seen one thread by Zohar showcasing his custom Allen Edmunds "Chestnut" Wingtips, although very nice, I think they may be out of my price range. I checked out the Allen Edmunds site and all they had were the black and white 'Broadstreet' variety. Same goes for Zappos and a few other sites. A couple of retro sites had Georgio Brutini Wingtips but I think they have a composite sole and would like to get leather soles on the shoes if I can. So I'm not too sure about those. Daddyos.com & Zootsuitstore.com.
I have very limited respurces in the San Luis Obispo, CA area. Most places don't cater to dressing up to the 9's in a college town. It's mostly the Gap, Mervyn's, Structures & the like.
Now that I've laid out what my searches have come up with, are there any suggestions from the experts on where to look? Are there any places in the Ventura/Camarillo area? Are there any other places on-line that don't show up in the usual search queries? They can be new old stock, or new manufacture, size 10D.
Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

Cheers!

Dan

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Alden

I can get Alden's in a spectator wingtip, for around $300. They are probably a better shoe than the Allen Edmonds that I paid $385 for, though the AE's are certainly not bad shoes.

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Zohar said:
I can get Alden's in a spectator wingtip, for around $300. They are probably a better shoe than the Allen Edmonds that I paid $385 for, though the AE's are certainly not bad shoes.

Wow, didn't know Alden still makes specs. I may be interested.

Is this a limited time deal, or would I be able to get a pair next Spring?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dan,

These might be the ticket:

http://remixvintageshoes.com/index3.html

Leather sole & heel. Been eyeing them myself.

I have two pairs of the Blair cap-toe spectators, and they're not bad for the price, but they don't have the flash of wingtips. They are also not made for everyday wear. If you wore them once a week or so, they'd be good for maybe a year before the nylon lining begins to tear (mine tore up pretty quickly).

I personally don't like a leather heel, like those from Remix. I like a single leather sole, with a rubber heel, because leather heels cause me to slip too badly.

The reason you haven't found the brown/white Broadstreets on the Allen Edmonds site is because they had to be custom made. I don't know why they don't just make that a standard color combination. I get more compliments on those shoes than any other pair I own.

Here's the original thread regarding the Allen Edmonds custom spectators.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1640&highlight=chestnut

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Veronica Parra said:
How much are you willing to pay, Dan? Give me a sense of your price range.

-- Marc

VP: For right now I'm looking in the $50 to $100 just because of cash flow. But later on I could go for the $100 to $300 range.
The style would be similar to the bluchers that L.B. Mayer (in the cream pinstripe suit) is wearing in the image below.
delovelypubd.jpg

I came across these two today:
http://www.nathanshoes.com/giorbrutspec.html
http://www.daddyos.com/retro/gbshb.html
Has anybody tried these at all? They state a leather sole, I'm presuming that they have a rubber heel. If y'all have tried them, how do they fit? Is sizing as stated or to you have to go up or down a half size? I would love to hear anyones oppinion for or against, and the why.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far. Knowledge is a wonderful thing indeed. I hope to be able to reciprocate the deed.

Cheers!

Dan

The shoes "L.B." is wearing are not too hard to find in a vintage version. Usually they date to the late '50s /early '60s, and they've almost always been made into golf shoes (with cleats added). If you're willing to buy a pair on eBay, take the cleats off, and resurface the soles to remove the holes, then you shouldn't have any trouble finding shoes like these, even in a larger size. A pair pops up every two months or so.

Try doing a search for "golf shoes" on eBay.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
VP: Thanks for the suggestion. No offence, but I don't think I want to do the golf shoe route. Especially used. The foot inprint already in the shoe will make it hard for it to conform to my feet. Had this disaster in the past. I would love to find a pair in the vintage new old stock. But, alas, I feel that the quest for those will be a long one indeed.

Thank you all for your suggestions folks. They are very appreciated. If any of you do happen across something out there along those lines, or even a great bargain on something new, please let me know, I would be most interested.

Cheers!

Dan

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I don't recommend the Blair specs. I bought a pair last year, and on the first day of wear, the white surface developed horrendous cracks. I called up their customer service, and exchanged them for another pair. These did the same thing. You really do get what you pay for.

Unless somebody tells me that's the way they're supposed to look, then I can't recommend them.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Glad your pair worked out. I suppose I could have just gotten mine from a bad batch. But as it is, I'm embarrassed to wear them in public now.

Brad

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Send them back!

Brad, I called customer service they told me you can send them back and try another pair or get your money back. The toll free # is 1-800-821-5744. Hope this helps.

They have a satisfaction guaranteed policy.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Matt Jones said:

Thanks MJ. There's a good selection there.
Has anyone had any experirnce with either the Georgio Brutini's or the Brentano shoes? Not just the wingtips, but any of their shoes. How do they hold up? the GB says it has a leather sole where the Brentano says it has a double leather sole. Is there any difference? or does the Brentano actually have a thicker sole. Just need to know. Both shoes look great, I just want to get the best bang for the buck. Thanks again for averyones input.

Cheers!

Dan

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The Brutinis have a somewhat thin sole. I have a pair, and after about 2 years of heavy use swing dancing, they're starting to separate in spots at the edges, but still very serviceable. They're an excellent general / dance shoe and are decent in regard to weight. I'm not big on the heavy, thick leather soles of more expensive modern shoes. Substantial, but excessively heavy and not all that flexible.

Brutinis aren't quite worth the $80 you pay for them. I'd say they're a good buy at $60, a deal at $40 and a steal at $20. The uppers are good, but the heel wears quickly and the stitching quality is obviously third world...you won't get the incredible stitching of a vintage shoe without paying triple digits.

Pick the model that you like and search ebay for them. You should get a good deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes