Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to refurbish an M-422a

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My buddy at the local Starbucks I frequent brought in his pa's WWII Gordon & Ferguson M-422a for me to take a look at, and he wants it restored. It looks to be original except for a knit replacement and some reproduction patches from his dad's squadron he added later. The goat is brittle in a few areas so it would need conditioning. He wants to leave the mouton collar as is, but will want the collar cleaned if possible, and may want to add NOS replacement bi-weave Navy knits (though his replacement knits he had done look pretty new). Most important is a good cleaning/conditioning, and maybe a label copy put in. It has the red rayon lining.

I told him I'd ask the experts on here for their advice. I told him about Aero, and he doesn't mind paying a bit for shipping. Anyone else I should look for? A repro label would be great (his is faded and detached but it is a Gordon & Ferguson-I did not get to see whether or not the size tag is still there); as well as sourcing good NOS or quality repro lining and knits. The big thing is to have the thing cleaned and conditioned. Any advice would be helpful. I'm kind of acting as a middleman for him. Kelso? Steve? Does JC do restorations? I want the best for this guy. The jacket deserves it!

Thanks,

Nick

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I can get some pics of the patches he put on and maybe I can get someone to make a good copy of those? A2jacketpatches?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Maybe Alan at Johnson's Leather in your area, or maybe even Gibson & Barnes in the San Diego metroplex (El Cajon). Dena has also received good press on this forum: http://www.greatleather.com/ship.htm

Since all my jackets are modern, I have no personal experience other than positive G&B encounters (factory visits and my Mark 43 A-2 and Expedition/Indy jackets).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters