Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative comments about your jackets from others

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Almost everyone I can think of, strangers & friends alike always praise my jackets. About the closest I get to a negative comment is a work colleague who jokingly calls my halfbelt the "full metal jacket." Well it is almost bullet proof! Hard about the girlfriend situation ML. I'd struggle with that.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I work in a place with 125 other people , you cannot hope to learn all those names even over time , recognise "faces" well of course.

I get described as "leather jacket guy" even tho' I wear a different one each day , not to "show off" at all , but because I can and you should. They all need "exercise".

I also ride a Harley to work most days , hence the jacket necessity. I overheard the phrase "leather jacket guy" as I arrived into a side office , it was not meant with disrespect.

This from a 25 year old hipster , crossfit trained semi bodybuilder , and I'm a 58 year old "old guy" ! Workplace is chock full of the same type dudes and chicks , so I have to "hold my own" haha !

Negative comments ? Well no , but again I'm a 58 year old Harley riding "ornery " individual, no-one would dare !

I'll temper that with "the missus" AKA wifely life's partner , she's "over" the jacket thing, AND the Lucchese western boot thing AND the Bausch& Lomb Rayban thing..

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
My fiance not only likes both of my leather jackets, she actually encouraged their purchase!
She actually very specifically loves A2 jackets in general and thinks they look great.
When I tried on the sample Himel grizzly as a joke, she noted that it looked really great on me and said that was the one that I should get and to this day she still says it's the coolest jacket in the world.

She also quite likes my engineer boots, peacoats, sunglasses, etc. She also specifically loves some of the high end Japanese and American made chinos/trousers and shirts that I wear as well. I actually make sure to ask for her advice and approval before making most of my purchases because she very much likes most of what I wear and actually cares about it, so if there is something that I am interested in that she does not like, she likely has a good reason for not thinking it will look good on me. Plus, if she likes most of what I wear (and she does), it makes me happy to wear pieces that we both think that I look good in.

The only thing she really does not like is my Tatton Baird Open Road hat because 1. She says it makes me look too old and 2. It hides my hair which she really likes. In fairness, someone did genuinely think that I was her dad while I was wearing that hat with her at Inspiration last year. Also, not to brag, but I do actually have great hair. It's one of my only decent physical features. Basically, while there are specific items that she does not like, she generally loves my style and what I wear so we work together on picking out future purchases. I would say it has worked out quite well so far. :) :D

robrinay

One Too Many
I had to LOL at this thread. I've been there man. In fact still am. Wife can't stand my jackets. Too heavy, look like a cop etc, etc.
She also thinks I should wear skinny jeans...needless to say we agree to disagree and though I dance a delicate tight rope whenever she asks me about her clothes.......
Empathy! Welcome to my world!
Although she does like three of them.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My Mrs hates a lot of my older 'Style' clothing as she likes me to Blend in and look anonymous. £250 in TKMaxx and I would be perfect.
A2s NO, Sheepskin flying jackets? "Well you are not a pilot are you". Ray Ban Wayfarer's "Who wears those, you look like some old Rock n Roller(Buddy Holly)" er David Beckham, so thats ok then I expect. My hats all make me look like Indiana Jones including my German velour trilby/fedora.
If she really doesn't like it whatever it may be, that item of clothing becomes "The worst thing I have ever seen, people will be talking about you"(A patched up A2 I usually wear when working on a motorbike or taking rubbish to the recycling compound.
But, there is hope. Suddenly over coats and old style trilby's have become popular in England, not really the super expensive Borsalino or Stetson types but same shape woven wool amongst the office workers.
Just bought myself a John Lewis workwear jacket that she likes(It looks like a building site jacket of old) and she says it's fine, but I still need a Spitfire or Lancaster to wear an Irvin or B3 for that matter(she doesn't know what a Flying Fortress is ;) ) Now it's freezing here.
I still love her very much though
Seeya', J

For the most part, people around me don't even notice to care one way or the other. My friends would occasionally start humming YMCA if I'm wearing a Perfecto tho I don't really know why, it's just a jacket, not like I'm wearing that hat or something. My girlfriend dislikes all my jackets. Her reasoning is that they're either too shabby / worn out or she just makes something up. All the chicks I've been with never cared much for my jackets and would rather see me in whatever's been in fashion that year. . . Though one had a guys-in-leather-jackets fetish which worked out for me just fine but she wasn't specific about the style, as long as it was a black leather jacket.

But yeah, I get nearly no feedback on my jackets, negative or positive.

Mich486

One Too Many
My wife doesn’t complain too much about the look but mostly about at how much money I spend (“waste” according to her) and how often I buy clothes. In fact, I believe I truly spend more money than she does [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies guys, some of them really made me laugh out loud! And, @dudewuttheheck, stop rubbing in how supportive your girlfriend is...she sounds like some sort of mythical creature, not a female human! haha :p

My Mrs hates a lot of my older 'Style' clothing as she likes me to Blend in and look anonymous. £250 in TKMaxx and I would be perfect.
A2s NO, Sheepskin flying jackets? "Well you are not a pilot are you". Ray Ban Wayfarer's "Who wears those, you look like some old Rock n Roller(Buddy Holly)" er David Beckham, so thats ok then I expect. My hats all make me look like Indiana Jones including my German velour trilby/fedora.
If she really doesn't like it whatever it may be, that item of clothing becomes "The worst thing I have ever seen, people will be talking about you"(A patched up A2 I usually wear when working on a motorbike or taking rubbish to the recycling compound.
But, there is hope. Suddenly over coats and old style trilby's have become popular in England, not really the super expensive Borsalino or Stetson types but same shape woven wool amongst the office workers.
Just bought myself a John Lewis workwear jacket that she likes(It looks like a building site jacket of old) and she says it's fine, but I still need a Spitfire or Lancaster to wear an Irvin or B3 for that matter(she doesn't know what a Flying Fortress is ;) ) Now it's freezing here.
I still love her very much though
Seeya', J

Bingo, you've nailed it @rocketeer. She's very self conscious when it comes to standing out particularly when it comes to her own clothing - she really likes to remain anonymous herself, so me wearing anything a bit different makes her feel uncomfortable as a result. The irony is she always points out those MA-1 style clone jackets - "that's nice, why don't you wear one of those jackets?" What she's really saying is "every man and his dog has one of those, wear one too so you can blend in". She doesn't have a clue that it's based in any sort of historical design, just that it's a "safe choice".

My wife doesn’t complain too much about the look but mostly about at how much money I spend (“waste” according to her) and how often I buy clothes. In fact, I believe I truly spend more money than she does [emoji23]

I think this was my other downfall. She has an idea of how much these jackets cost and she can't seem to understand why I spend so much on them...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I work in a place with 125 other people , you cannot hope to learn all those names even over time , recognise "faces" well of course.

I get described as "leather jacket guy" even tho' I wear a different one each day , not to "show off" at all , but because I can and you should. They all need "exercise".
Leather jacket guy, huh? Have to admit, I don't have the sort of obsession that the leather jacket aficionados have, but I do tend to go overboard with the Hawaiian/Aloha shirt. Sixty-five in total, all made to measure, by hand. What does my missus say about that? Not a lot, she's the one who made them.

You have have made me wonder if I get called The Aloha guy. The good lady's handiwork can be seen on the Hawaiian/Aloha shirt thread.

Peacoat

Bartender
I used to have a girlfriend who loved my black leather MC jacket. On the weekends she would wear it around the apartment with nothing underneath. It covered the top part pretty well, but left not much to the imagination on the bottom part. That would have been OK, but she wanted to go to the door dressed like that when buddies came over. I had to tell her no each time there was a knock at the door. Oh, the woes of having an exhibitionist girlfriend.

Don't know what happened to her or the jacket; they both disappeared about the same time. I imagine other guys have enjoyed both of them over the years.

Last edited:

The Hamburger

New in Town
Having read that some of you take your new jackets for a shower or even sleep in them to break them in and that you don't put them tidily on hangers in the closet but place them gently, smoothly and with bright eyes onto a soft, explicitely chosen blanket ... I wonder if this could be a reason for a "certain tension" between your ladies and your jackets ... ;-)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I used to have a girlfriend who loved my black leather MC jacket. On the weekends she would wear it around the apartment with nothing underneath. It covered the top part pretty well, but left not much to the imagination on the bottom part. That would have been OK, but she wanted to go to the door dressed like that when buddies came over. I had to tell her no each time there was a knock at the door. Oh, the woes of having an exhibitionist girlfriend.

Don't know what happened to her or the jacket; they both disappeared about the same time. I imagine other guys have enjoyed both of them over the years.
Did you catch the Girls in Guys Garb thread? It wasn't your lady per chance, was it?
dr no.jpeg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really can't recall any specifically negative comments. It's odd, though, that my wife, who's Hindu and literally wouldn't hurt a fly, loves leather jackets. What I get more often from students and kids working in restaurants, etc. is "Wow, what is that?" It happened recently, and I was thinking that when I got into this a few years back I'd been wondering what had happened to all of the cool jackets I remembered from when I was growing up. Back then (50's and 60's) there weren't any chintzy "buttery-soft" lambskin mall jackets. The kids today don't know a real leather jacket when they see one.
The weirdest comment I've gotten, which I mentioned on some other thread at the time, was when I was walking down a hall and heard a girl say to her friend on her cell, "There goes that guy again. I swear to God I'm gonna whack him over the head and steal that f****** jacket."

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up

That's the way one has to look at these things. You had some good times, but they don't last, and at some point it's time for someone else to have some good times.

I'm talking about the jacket, of course...

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Many of young women I meet consider leather jackets to be rather gawky and gauche. If they consider some star looks really cool in his Brooks cafe racer it is generally the fact that it is Bradley Cooper in it, not the steerhide garment itself. They'd feel the same about him if he wore a Kmart windbreaker.
That's a sea change from ye olden dayes, of course, like the 1980s, when a half-decent leather jacket made any man more desirable to women.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk