Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative comments about your jackets from others

BobJ

Practically Family
I feel at this point it's probably fair to include one small detail I may have missed out in my story initially - my girlfriend does have two horses and competes in eventing at quite a good level.

Perhaps I shouldn't have been so honest when she asked me "what leather is this made from?" whilst looking at my first Aero A2...it was all downhill from there... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean - the first time I wore my horsehide jacket into a stable full of horses, was kinda .... umm.... awkward.

BobJ

Practically Family
Spot on comment, on every point.

Not long ago, my girlfriend was looking at the photos of her crush Jason Momoa and there was a pic with him wearing that black cafe racer, one that Ton dubbed "the leather bra" and she says "Why can't you ever buy a cool jacket like that?". I'm like what the actual f, I literally have four jackets like that (not exactly the same brand and model but you know what I mean, it's not like anyone other than us here would ever even notice the difference) to which she simply replied "Oh...", in a tone filled with such deep, painful disappointment that I decided not to give it any notice because that would've been impossible without the subsequent contemplation of suicide.

Sigh...

Jason Momoa - I don't have a TV, never heard of the guy, so I googled him. He looks like a cross between casehopper and Monitor:

Hot-Jason-Momoa-Pictures.png

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
She's very self conscious when it comes to standing out particularly when it comes to her own clothing - she really likes to remain anonymous herself, so me wearing anything a bit different makes her feel uncomfortable as a result. The irony is she always points out those MA-1 style clone jackets - "that's nice, why don't you wear one of those jackets?" What she's really saying is "every man and his dog has one of those, wear one too so you can blend in". She doesn't have a clue that it's based in any sort of historical design, just that it's a "safe choice".

ah, there is your answer!!!
leather jacket + camo pants combo, or that Himel with tigerstripe camo lining, literally blend into the background waist down.

Willybob

A-List Customer
I live in a community full of horse people. Many of my co workers own and ride. I expect some might give me the big "Ewww!" if they knew so if asked what my Aero is made of I just tell em its 100% recycled. If they press the question I just make sure they understand Mr Ed didn't need it any longer.

Peacoat

Bartender
That's the way one has to look at these things. You had some good times, but they don't last, and at some point it's time for someone else to have some good times.

I'm talking about the jacket, of course...
I actually do know what happened to her. When she realized I wasn't going to marry her, she left town, moved on and became a copyright attorney in our favorite city—NYC. Thus my frequent references to Peacoats and leather jackets in the City. I have spent time there and have many fond memories of gathering temperature statistics on peacoats. The last time I saw her, she was as much fun as the first time I saw her. Oh, the continuing joys of a true exhibitionist.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
The key is to be generous with your wife and wholly support her indulgences. My wife loves purses, and the cost of her new purses match, and sometimes exceed, the price of my jackets. I never complain when she falls for a new purse. I could easily observe that: (1) she has plenty of purses, and does not need a new one; (2) the new purse looks like all of her existing purses; (3) she doesn't even use the purses she has, so why buy another that won't get used; (4) . . . (one of many other observations that are equally applicable to my jackets). Instead, I go in the other direction and urge her to buy it. Ditto clothing in general. When we walk into women's clothing stores, I actively search for items for her, and regularly suggest pieces she hasn't seen yet. I also urge her to try on anything she likes (yesterday, she almost purchased a Mister Freedom woman's baseball shirt that we found at a tiny shop in Venice). My proactive participation blows away the sales people, who are used to husbands sitting off to the side in a catatonic state of boredom. Ironically, my overwhelming support of her clothing/purse purchases causes my wife to be noticeably more cautious and prudent than I am -- in other words, she frequently declines to purchase items even after I support them, and applies a greater level of scrutiny to her purchases than I do. Its a win-win . . . I urge her to purchase it, but she declines on her own, and I am the good guy.

As a result of the foregoing, my wife is exponentially more accepting of my shopping habits (to the extent that she is aware :p).

Happy wife = happy life.
This is actually VERY similar to what I do with my fiance. Whenever we shop, I am very active in the shopping process. I point out items that I like and don't like as well as actively find things for her that she is not even looking at.

Just as in your situation, I usually end up liking more things on her than she likes on herself and she ends up declining more items than I do! Funny how well that works :D

If I care about my own style, I believe that I can have some interest in her style and clothing as well. It works out well for both of us.

Another example is that we both post way too much on instagram, so we just take each others' pictures and neither of us are bothered by having to take pictures of each other as a result.

This is actually VERY similar to what I do with my fiance. Whenever we shop, I am very active in the shopping process. I point out items that I like and don't like as well as actively find things for her that she is not even looking at.

Just as in your situation, I usually end up liking more things on her than she likes on herself and she ends up declining more items than I do! Funny how well that works :D

If I care about my own style, I believe that I can have some interest in her style and clothing as well. It works out well for both of us.

Another example is that we both post way too much on instagram, so we just take each others' pictures and neither of us are bothered by having to take pictures of each other as a result.

Sounds like a great girl you got there! I'd never have the balls to have an instagram but I admire it and if you've got someone next to you to actively help you out, that's as sweet of a deal as it gets.

I used to occasionally try to help out with the shopping but now I flat out refuse even going with her. Everything I pick sucks or is "too slutty" so why bother. . . And lol, why's Momoa a douche?? I didn't know that but do tell!

Woodyear

Familiar Face
my girlfriend is always asking me if I'm "jacketing" on the forums. She likes it.

Interestingly mine calls it “jacketing off” whenever she sees me reading the forum. She’s such a sweetheart, appreciates and encourages every one of my purchases and has even bought one or two of my jackets for me. She has great style but I practically have to force her to buy anything for herself, or buy it for her. Hands down the most selfless person I’ve ever met besides my own mother. I can’t even imagine dealing with these passive-aggressive, judgmental women that some of you guys seem to be afflicted with. I never could tolerate people like that, And no matter how beautiful the woman those relationships were always extremely angry, brutish and short.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a great girl you got there! I'd never have the balls to have an instagram but I admire it and if you've got someone next to you to actively help you out, that's as sweet of a deal as it gets.

I used to occasionally try to help out with the shopping but now I flat out refuse even going with her. Everything I pick sucks or is "too slutty" so why bother. . . And lol, why's Momoa a douche?? I didn't know that but do tell!
I've just heard that he is quite difficult and egotistical. The biggest example is that he received a free Harley as part of a promotion and then immediately spray painted it in front of the reps as though it were a complete joke.

Haha I've been accused of picking things that are "too slutty" as well at times... what can I say, I think she looks good :D That said, I actually enjoy shopping with her.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer

What's interesting is that my girlfriend is exactly like this, but only when I'm shopping for tailored clothes (suits, ties, etc etc). She strangely seems to love it...picking out ties, shoes, fabrics and so on. She even travelled with me to London for every single fitting of a suit I had made (which she really didn't have to do). From past experiences, she really likes me wearing tailored stuff. Really likes it. If you get what I mean. Ahem.

When it comes to these jackets? "Ugh, not another jacket!" I only have three.

I should point out I have about 200 ties in my wardrobe and she bought me another one for my birthday...oh the irony. ;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Interestingly mine calls it “jacketing off” whenever she sees me reading the forum. She’s such a sweetheart, appreciates and encourages every one of my purchases and has even bought one or two of my jackets for me. She has great style but I practically have to force her to buy anything for herself, or buy it for her. Hands down the most selfless person I’ve ever met besides my own mother. I can’t even imagine dealing with these passive-aggressive, judgmental women that some of you guys seem to be afflicted with. I never could tolerate people like that, And no matter how beautiful the woman those relationships were always extremely angry, brutish and short.

Amen.

zebedee

One Too Many
My ex-wife hated the jackets, but disliked me far more. The jackets and I have a happier existence now that she's on the other side of the planet.

In general, ignore what other people think unless they are in a position to do you harm. When it comes down to it, others' negative views are fleeting things; people aren't thinking about your jacket five seconds after they've passed comment. Politely shrug off their lack of enthusiasm :)

I don't know...I'm actually glad my wife has her own opinion and isn't afraid to express it, especially if it's contrary to my own. Maybe it's just being around Italian women my whole life...
I certainly don't feel we need to agree on something as trivial as clothing. There's an entire world of real stuff, like kids etc that are far more important to be in alignment on. Friggn leather jacket and jeans couldn't be further from the top of that list.

Stand By

One Too Many
My wife-like-person in my life doesn't understand my thing for jackets - or associated gloves/caps etc. She also thinks that there being even a forum here for such things is very weird and doesn't like me on it. At all! She says that my jackets "age" me as they're all 1940s/1950s era and that I should dress more modern as I can wear it well and look more youthful.
But the truth is that I don't feel modern on the inside, so why dress modern on the outside and look like all the GAP etc-wearing people around me who all look the same (to me) on the commutes? The jackets just fit me body and soul - and I can't explain it. I just adore them. They feel so good on in a crazy, fickle world, like olde world armour. I'm sure that sounds odd and I'd only admit that here. So she tolerates them, although she says they all look the same to her ... yes dear.
I got a nice compliment on my new Buzz B-15D just yesterday from a contractor and my Aero ANJ-3 gets the most compliments from strangers. Even my ELC B-2 cap got a compliment last week!
So, me and my GF just have different tastes and I leave it at that. I've learned and changed in so many ways since she entered my life and have been happy to change or meet her halfway on so many things in order to make the relationship work. But my passion for jackets and gear is non-negotiable and i just won't indulge the idea of changing the way I dress.
Like Sloan, I once had an ex GF that loved to dress me in modern stuff for the bars and I just wasn't comfortable in them and I went along with it as I adored her then - but it just wasn't me. The jackets and gear are me. And that's that.
So don't fret about it, MeachamLake. You're in good company!

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I should point out I have about 200 ties in my wardrobe

Don't get me started with ties (and suits and dress shirts) . . . this is yet another of my material compulsions.

What's interesting is that my girlfriend is exactly like this, but only when I'm shopping for tailored clothes (suits, ties, etc etc). She strangely seems to love it...picking out ties, shoes, fabrics and so on. She even travelled with me to London for every single fitting of a suit I had made (which she really didn't have to do). From past experiences, she really likes me wearing tailored stuff. Really likes it. If you get what I mean. Ahem.

My wife also loves me in a suit and tie, and never complains about the volume of my suits, dress shirts and ties. However, with the advent of five-day business casual (and, now, jean Fridays), my suits and ties see far less action then in prior years.

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
Do any of you guys get loads of grief about your jackets?

So far I'm not having much luck with any of my WW2 era jackets I've purchased which have failed to pass the girlfriend test (although I'm beginning to suspect this is an impossible test to pass)....

In her opinion:

- Aero B6: "Eew, that sheepskin looks so girly and effeminate. It looks ridiculous."
- Eastman A2: "Eew, I don't like that jacket." (Why not?) "Because I just don't."
- Pike Brothers B-15A: "That jacket is so weird, I hate those leather triangle things on the chest, what are they even for?!"
- Eastman B-15: "That jacket is absolutely vile and too short" (I can confidently say it really isn't...)

I love her to bits, but it seems this is an impossible battle I'm fighting here! :p
Get a new girlfriend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana