Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Negative comments about your jackets from others

she also wants her hardware painted black because a shiny stainless metal hardware looks gaudy...:D

there should be law against these fake gurus for guiding gullible young people to waste their money on crappy sponsor products.o_O
"It's distracting"
What is she talking about? Distracting her from what? Her fixed gaze on Beckham's junk?:D

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Was that back in the days when American Classics carried items affordable to the mere mortal, or were they never so? ;) I remember Flip in Dublin in the mid-late 90s, but I think the London one was gone before ever I got here.
Yes Edward, it was in the very early 1980s. Last time I was there(years ago) it was called Phlip and owned by Iranians.
Aero as a shop in Battersea was one of the few selling wartime stuff and a few Hawaiian shirts etc, I just looked around really as the Rockerbilly stuff did not interest me. When Flip came along they opened up the scene to old baseball or lettermen jackets and other clothing the Americans were not interested in. You could buy a wool and leather sleeved jacket, probably original 1950s for about £15 which was a lot, but not out of reach, sports jackets for a £5 and the odd leather jacket such as Windwards etc, G1s, lots of fancy casual shirts, all genuine 50s stuff at reasonable prices.
A bit later on American Classics came along and started selling stuff too, they really took off after the Raiders of Lost Ark hit the big screens and everyone wanted to look like Harrison Fords character, they even got a bit on the TV sort of promoting their stuff. As time went on prices went up.
Flip tended to be cheaper than Classics but when the popularity of secondhand American clothing took off there was so much stuff to choose from and more and more outlets stocked the stuff and also diversified into old militaria(clothing) too, again mainly American WWII, prices rose. Flip had a warehouse in Shoerditch where you helped them sort it in a way, piles of clothing they had just received from the states you picked what you wanted and they gave you a price, they would buy anything and everything including 'vintage' underwear such as knickers and bullet bra's etc though all washed and cleaned.
By the mid 80s the Japanese fell in love with it all, helped by the Indy and Empire of the Sun thing, especially original A2s and the world of old leather would never be the same again, prices went up to £2000 for a plain A2 jacket and way beyond for anything painted up, luckily by the early 1990s the prices had settled a bit as the Japanese decided to look at old bike jackets as well, and they went mad to those too for a while.
Flip changed hands a few times including the spelling(Phlip) and the stock slowly changed from mainly secondhand 50s to include anything from 1960s and 70s and Vietnam war military clothing. Not been for a few years but when I last went they just stocked new stuff. American Classics closed their Kings Road store and kept open the Covent Garden shop selling less and less old stuff and now I believe only stock new.
As well as the internet there are now hundreds of stores selling vintage clothing but no longer to the hard core Rockerbilly's and Hep Cats. The new vintage clothing fans are really just in it till the idea goes out of fashion and something else comes along though I suspect there will always be a base for this stuff someplace. They don't pick a certain era as we did but anything goes from the 1940s up to the 70s, and in some cases even up to the 1980s, but frankly I think 50 year old New Romantics look slightly odd.
Bit of a ramble that one eh! Seeya, J.

Last edited:

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
There is footage of Paul walking into George Harrison's house with a leather jacket on. George quips, "Is that a vegetarian leather jacket?" LOL I think Paul showed him some sort of label inside of the jacket that certified it was all right. :)

- Ian

There are photos of him on the Lewis site in a twin-track Lewis Bronx. He only got into the faux leather after he met Linda; don't think he was veggie til then? Of course, a lot of the veggies I know still wear leather because it is, by and large (not when you deal with the high end as much, but...) a by-product of the meat industry, and would otherwise be wasted.

Neither were vegetarians when first married. I'm not sure when the transition into vegetarianism took place. I do remember Paul saying what a great meat cook Linda was in the early days. Also, in the 1990's Paul was on The Oprah show when talk turned to vegetarianism. At one point during that particular discussion, he said that he still wore leather shoes because, at the time, there was not a better or good enough alternative. I suppose it's difficult to part with all animal products.

At any rate, The Beatles were always seen in leather jackets in the early days. Brian Epstein is to thank for "cleaning" them up. Once they got under his management, he took them straight to Savile Row, had them fitted and suits made for the four.

- Ian

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
this lady and his fiancee say "cafe racer or moto leather jacket generally look bad on most men, the collar tab is distracting, and looks boxy, a middle age crisis jacket" :eek:

After disparaging cafe racers as inappropriate for middle aged and older men, the video hosts both exalt cross-zip "biker" jackets as a better option. Yet, their (nonsensical) complaints about cafe racers are even more applicable to the cross zip "biker" jackets. In other words, if cafe racers were in fact too youthful/edgy and thereby inappropriate for middle aged or older men, cross-zip "biker" jackets -- including in particular the complex/ornate examples shown in the video -- would be even more youthful/edgy and even more inappropriate for middle aged and older men. In reality, both cafe racers and cross-zip jackets are perfectly appropriate for all ages, although I will concede that some pull it off better than others (for example, as much as I absolutely LOVE cross-zips, I personally cannot pull off the jacket and I am jealous of those who can). Separately, the video hosts complain that the mandarin collar on cafe racers is excess and unappealing when the jacket is unzipped, but the cross-zip "biker" jackets espoused by the hosts have MUCH more excess material when the jacket is unzipped. Respectfully, the positions articulated in the video make no sense.

After disparaging cafe racers as inappropriate for middle aged and older men, the video hosts both exalt cross-zip "biker" jackets as a better option. Yet, their (nonsensical) complaints about cafe racers are even more applicable to the cross zip "biker" jackets. In other words, if cafe racers were in fact too youthful/edgy and thereby inappropriate for middle aged or older men, cross-zip "biker" jackets -- including in particular the complex/ornate examples shown in the video -- would be even more youthful/edgy and even more inappropriate for middle aged and older men. In reality, both cafe racers and cross-zip jackets are perfectly appropriate for all ages, although I will concede that some pull it off better than others (for example, as much as I absolutely LOVE cross-zips, I personally cannot pull off the jacket and I am jealous of those who can). Separately, the video hosts complain that the mandarin collar on cafe racers is excess and unappealing when the jacket is unzipped, but the cross-zip "biker" jackets espoused by the hosts have MUCH more excess material when the jacket is unzipped. Respectfully, the positions articulated in the video make no sense.
You used much nicer verbiage:rolleyes:

SJC

Suspended
Do any of you guys get loads of grief about your jackets?
I am forever single so can't help you but I just tested myself to a very expensive Eastman leather jacket . I would tell her these are incredible jackets and buy it anyway !
So far I'm not having much luck with any of my WW2 era jackets I've purchased which have failed to pass the girlfriend test (although I'm beginning to suspect this is an impossible test to pass)....

In her opinion:

- Aero B6: "Eew, that sheepskin looks so girly and effeminate. It looks ridiculous."
- Eastman A2: "Eew, I don't like that jacket." (Why not?) "Because I just don't."
- Pike Brothers B-15A: "That jacket is so weird, I hate those leather triangle things on the chest, what are they even for?!"
- Eastman B-15: "That jacket is absolutely vile and too short" (I can confidently say it really isn't...)

I love her to bits, but it seems this is an impossible battle I'm fighting here! :p

Attachments

• IMG_5567.JPG
    IMG_5567.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 542

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Another thing with that video is they stole at least one of the images used in it from another forum, no right to use it in the way they have, but they've used it anyway. I thought the guy whose photo it was was going to get the video taken down but I guess its still there at the moment.

Then again seeing it posted here, even in a derisory manner, its getting them more views and ultimately making them money so I guess they still win on this one.

Another thing with that video is they stole at least one of the images used in it from another forum, no right to use it in the way they have, but they've used it anyway. I thought the guy whose photo it was was going to get the video taken down but I guess its still there at the moment.

Then again seeing it posted here, even in a derisory manner, its getting them more views and ultimately making them money so I guess they still win on this one.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Doubt it Cole gave them permission to use his image in that crap video and I guess he doesn't even know where it ended up. What's worse is that he took this photo they've used (stolen?), only to demonstrate how tiny the WOTW Hero jacket runs!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I just watched that video and laughed at these two sorry imbeciles. Am I supposed to know who they are? I'm kinda out of the loop here.
The thing is, I watched it a second time and thought, wow! These two are just making up BS reasons why cafe racers are out, and cross-zips should be worn. That's like really, really lucky coz the stores are full of cross zip moto jackets right now! Hell, I even started a thread here about a month ago asking if it was the next big thing with the kids!
Who are these two?
Who finances video production and provides the 'jackets' they model?
Are they industry shills? Or, (and even more dispairingly) is making up BS reasons to cover for seasonal trends now a profitable business model? If so, I'm gonna 'wardrobe' some clothes from Zara, and get a couple of oh-so-kawaii 21 year old Japanese babes read BS English rationalizations I give them! ¥¥¥!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I bought a leather jacket in Flip in Dublin's Temple Bar back in the mid 90s, wore it solidly for about ten years. Brings a tear to the eye...
There used to be a huge Flip in Edinburgh, up on the Bridges - I have a feeling it even had a basement level. I never bought very much from it, even in the mid-1990s it was expensive for what it offered, but I always liked going there. Looking back now, it was probably pretty reasonable. It was a bit of a blow when it closed around the start of the 2000s, but not as shocking as when the Glasgow shop shut a few years later, as it seemed to be part of psyche of the city's student population. Surprisingly, the original store in Newcastle (who knew?) is still with us! https://www.flipvintage.com/product/

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
their reasoning behind how moto type jacket shouldn't be worn seemed not even scripted, maybe that All Shaits brand they promote called them 5 minutes before the show telling they don't have moto jackets this fall and only biker types so they needed to improvise it,

even the photos used seemed improvised in the hurry, Jennifer Aniston's boyfriend in his CR jacket they just dissed earlier was used as a reference for how a biker jacket should be worn, just because he wore a hoodie covering the collar of the jacket she couldn't tell it was a the same jacket style she just advised against..

The funny thing to me is that the CR is literally the most versatile, wearable and unassuming cut of any leather jacket. The reasoning behind their position is so insanely flimsy and just plain wrong. There is no more flattering design than a properly fitted CR. As much as I am a cross zip nut and y'all know I am...it pales in comparison with wearability compared to a CR. I could wear a CR anywhere, with almost anything. Cross zip is strictly weekend wear. Period and end o' story.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree 100% and I would add that I felt much more self conscious the first time I stepped out of the house wearing a cross zip jacket than I did wearing a cafe racer. The cross zip has such a motorcycle specific vibe while the simplicity of the cafe racer give it a universal appeal, well almost universal.
I wouldn't be so quick to shy away from the cross zip Superfluous, I think you just need to find the right one. The Aero Bootlegger (or Moonshiner) is a great place to start because it has a less aggressive feel and it's just a damn good looking jacket! I get more compliments on my Cordovan Bootlegger than all of my other jackets put together.

mr_lits

A-List Customer
The funny thing to me is that the CR is literally the most versatile, wearable and unassuming cut of any leather jacket.

Couldn't agree more. You can throw anything at a cafe racer and it works; teeshirt, hoodie, collar or a sweater. Its simplicity in style will look good with just about anything as long as the jacket fits proper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21