Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW 2010 Stetson Whippet

jbucklin

Practically Family
I have tried recently to loosen up the front of the brim of this hat so that the swoop when snapped down is not so severe and have succeeded. However, after all the steaming and ironing I've done, the brim has several ripples in it. I've done everything I can think of to flatten it back out, including sliding the brim between flat, heavy objects, but nothing is working. Any tips on how to flatten out a ripply Shantung brim?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Here's a pic. It looks worse than it does in this photo.
downsized_0328021033.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Jbucklin; I did as you did, steam and iron and the uneven weave does has not corrected itself. When ironing I put the hat brim on the ironing board between slightly damp cotten towles and it did not give me what I wanted.

I wear it with the uneven character it has adopted. I suspect it more matches me with the rippling features.

Eric -

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks Job. I tried it but no cigar. These ripples are permanent, just like Eric has testified. I even slid the front of the brim between two pieces of cardboard, put a guitar amp on the carboard and then sat on top of the amp for awhile. Nothing. These ripples are stubborn!

Thanks Job. I tried it but no cigar. These ripples are permanent, just like Eric has testified. I even slid the front of the brim between two pieces of cardboard, put a guitar amp on the carboard and then sat on top of the amp for awhile. Nothing. These ripples are stubborn!

Now you have a very stylish, straw beater for those hot TX outdoor chores....

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I like your less swoopy look. This hat would get more wear if I could tame the beast. From your pic I take that I gave up on changing it to soon. Way to stay with it.

IMG0757-S.jpg

If I read your post correctly I will have to use my new Humphrey Amp and sit on it. It will give me an excuse to fill the music room with sound an upcoming evening. I hope the kind of amp does not matter greatly.:eusa_doh:;)

RUZFMjk4RTEyMTU0M0RFMUFFMDU6ZDNkNzQxZjBiMjAzYWM5OGViNmVkMDIyN2VkYjNiNzM=

jbucklin

Practically Family
What a cool looking amp! The amp I used is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe---not quite as exotic as yours. Actually I was trying to get the wrinkles out by placing the amp on it and not even that worked. What ended up happening was that the straw loosened up to where I could at least get it to snap up or down without it looking like I was being hit by a 200 mph wind. Now, snapping it up looks nice and even across the front and even hides the ripples. Here's a side shot I took while driving this morning:
0329021101.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy