Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW 2010 Stetson Whippet

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thought I'd cross-post mine from yesterday. It is very stiff straw but otherwise, I really like it and its not shantung like my straw OR! I still have to snip the threads as you can see, and the shot is from yesterday with the tag still on...

StetsonWhippetstraw001.jpg

SALMAGUNDI

Vendor
besdor said:
We are getting in a straw version of the Brewster . It will be online next week. This is a much nicer hat than the Whippet . The Brewster is made of genuine Panama straw and will have a 2 3/8" bound edge just like the felt version.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

I couldn't help but comment on this post even though it's old.
I second Steven - I much prefer the Brewster over the Whippet. In addition to the Brewster being a fine panama - the edge is bound with the smallest grosgrain with a nice stitch line. The Whippet had a wider bound edge that made the brim very hard to work with. I got it in my shop noticed that when I tried to snap the brim down it buckled due to the way it was bound so tightly. I was puzzled that no one caught that early on?? Personally, I wouldn't have bound it at all if I was behind the manufacturing but that's just me. I actually sent it back and got the Monticello instead which is a much finer Shantung than the Whippet and was worth ever penny more.
I am very fond of Stetson's dress hats, and I hope they re-think the straw Whippet for the future. It just needs some re-working and could be a very nice hat.
For now I would recommenced skipping it for sure. -Jessen

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
What's the phone number to the outlet in Garland? I'm batting zero finding it online.

Randy

The number is 972-494-0337, 721 Marion Drive, Garland TX 75042.

Oh, and the fit on my 7 1/4 Whippet is spot on.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salty O'Rourke said:

Hey Randy, come to the 2011 HATCO tour next March (see Events) and see the place in person. I've let Mr. Stevens, the manager of the Outlet, know we are coming and I think he will be ready!

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Hey Randy, come to the 2011 HATCO tour next March (see Events) and see the place in person. I've let Mr. Stevens, the manager of the Outlet, know we are coming and I think he will be ready!

Sounds like a fun time, I'll have to give it some consideration!

Salty O'Rourke said:

Thanks, I just now saw your post. I'll probably give them a call soon.

Randy

theinterchange

One Too Many
Fresh Fron The Fed Ex Guy's Hands!

Well, Monday I gave in to temptation and called the Garland, Tx outlet to see if they had any Whippets in my size. They did, and I had one on its way to me that evening.

The box just arrived!
5018503226_3b24ca43bf_z.jpg

Had to get a shot that included the shipping box and presentation box.

5017899045_6ab6a1deb0_z.jpg

Side profile

5018504422_9a21dc60e1_z.jpg

When I snapped the brim down, I'll admit to being more than a little scared, it's given me a few wrinkles in the straw as you can see.

5018505324_daa60820b0_z.jpg

The crown was a little surprise, I expected it to just be rounded in the teardrop.

It fits a tad large, but nothing a little sizing tape won't cure.

Overall, my first impression of the hat is very positive. A few nice surprises like the crown treatment and the sweatband I expected to be cloth which turned out to be... pleather?

This is the first new Stetson I've bought in at least 10 years, and I'm fairly certain it won't be my last! Now I'm saving up for a Stetson felt to give them a fair shake.

Randy

P.S Will get the all important on head shot shortly, just excited to have this in hand and couldn't wait to post! :p

theinterchange

One Too Many
RBH said:
Looks good there 'Change'!
I have enjoyed mine all summer.

Thank you, I'm really pleased with it. We're still in the upper 80's and 90's during the day so I've got a little straw weather left. I know what hat I'm wearing tomorrow, too!

Randy

theinterchange said:
5018504422_9a21dc60e1_z.jpg

When I snapped the brim down, I'll admit to being more than a little scared, it's given me a few wrinkles in the straw as you can see.

That seems to be the most common complaint about this hat. I wonder if a little steam would soften it up and help reduce the wrinkles before you snap it down.

I'm going to call today and see what they have in my size

theinterchange

One Too Many
RobFedoraField said:
That seems to be the most common complaint about this hat. I wonder if a little steam would soften it up and help reduce the wrinkles before you snap it down.

I'm going to call today and see what they have in my size

I was thinking about hitting it with a touch of steam. I really should have done that before I snapped the brim.

Have been wearing the hat all day, really love it.

....off to get an on the head shot.

Randy

Here we go!

5021058500_62bf674774_z.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
RBH said:
It looks good on you. I just chalked the few wrinkles up to add character to the hat.
I truly like mine.

Thank you, RBH! The wrinkles are something that I notice more than anyone else would, so I'm not really letting them bother me. I'm very pleased with the hat, I'd pay retail for one, but am not begrudging the fact that I paid the outlet price. ;)

Randy

Glenn77

New in Town
Whippet

I bought one of these on eBay (my first eBay purchase) and it arrived today. May have overpaid a bit. Live and learn. I like the hat though. The straw is stiff but comfortable...and it sits very light on my head. The little Stetson tag under the band comes off very easily. It is just stuck on with a little Kleen-Stik. By the way, all the photos show that the hat looks good on you guys. I'll try to post one soon.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Glenn77 said:
I bought one of these on eBay (my first eBay purchase) and it arrived today. May have overpaid a bit. Live and learn. I like the hat though. The straw is stiff but comfortable...and it sits very light on my head. The little Stetson tag under the band comes off very easily. It is just stuck on with a little Kleen-Stik. By the way, all the photos show that the hat looks good on you guys. I'll try to post one soon.

--------

I have since had winning eBay bids on two other hats. I anxiously await their arrival.

You're on a roll! Welcome to the Lounge, Glenn77!

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24