Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW 2010 Stetson Whippet

RBH

Bartender
2010 straw Steston Whippet

Just got this update ... Stetson now has a straw {Shantung} Whippet for 2010.

Looks nice to me, I would like to know what the crown height is. The brim width is 2 1\2.

whippet.jpg

From The Fedora Store.

http://www.thefedorastore.com/New-for-2010-Stetson-Shantung-Whippet-Teardrop-Me-p/8110-whippet.htm

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I think it looks like a great straw fedora, The bound brim is a nice touch, and adds authenticity, to the fact that it is supposed to be a sort of Whippet. The next straw hat I order once my Ultrafino gives out to the elements, well, that will either be a Panama, or a straw Open Road type. Maybe this Whippet will be under consideration as well.

frussell

One Too Many
Stetson Shantung

I saw this straw Whippet and was also pretty excited until I saw "Shantung." In my experience with Stetson's Shantung straw hats, they are stiff, break easily and don't take to much shaping. I wish they had offered this in their Milan Straw, which is fairly soft and workable. I will only buy a Shantung straw hat if it's an emergency. I always feel like I have a cardboard box on my head that will blow away in the slightest wind. YMMV Frank.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Seems to me like a pretty bold move for the company. The hat is a lot more old fashioned looking than a lot of what sells these days. They must have agonized a lot over the design. Looks pretty cool to me, but I'll be sticking with my PanamaBob Panama this summer.

carldelo

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
Or perhaps it's just an aesthetic choice?

I agree - you can't assume poor quality just because of a bound brim - I think it looks good. Like Skyvue, however, my noggin is too big. I wonder if it will have the cloth sweat that's in the Brewster - that would be extremely comfortable on a hot day.

HatfeathersVint

New in Town
I just hope they don't skimp on the quality of fabric. I have the pleasure of counting our local men's shop as a design client. They have been in business for 81 years, so I occasionally run into some of the hats they sold in the 50s/60s, when stores still stamped their name on the hat.
The difference between those old hats and the modern ones in the shop now can be likened to the difference between a raw noodle and a cooked one. I think I won't be selling the 2010 models in 2060.
Yes, when I'm 88 I will still have an online vintage website. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy