Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New 500X Sterling Beaver

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
There is an "Edit" button at the bottom right of every post here. All you have to do is go to the bottom of your post with the letter from Charlie in it, click the "Edit" button, go and delete the portion of your post with the words from Charlie in it, then hit the "Save changes" button.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Robert, you are loved by all. I think this is so sad its almost funny. The post was about RayK hat and now this garbage. Just like the past mess up the thread. Sorry Ray.:mad::mad:

Zane

Suspended
Thank you Zohar, I have atempted to dlete it and edit this post saying so to advoid any further confusion or what ever it seems to be causing.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I missed it!

Well, I missed whatever was posted and then deleted.

I just worked a 16 hour day, and just got home. Boy oh Boy what a day.

If anyone here wants to experience STRESS, and I mean STRESS.......just be glad you aren't .....

As a Bartender on the HATS forum, IF anyone posts something to make others spit out, spill, or not want to buy a round, you 'll hear it from ME. My bar is a POLITE bar. Irish. Humerous. Intelligent.

"As me mother use'd to say, ' Don't get my blood up"

Zane

Suspended
Andykev, I can imagine 16 hours a day being stressful not that I ever had to work so many but I sure could stand a few hours a day of work or a few days a week at least.

You know it cannot be easy to live in such stressed conditions as 16 hour work days but for those of that have not steady employment it would be a blessing for a short time any way.

You please pick my brain all you like anytime for what little is there. I by far do not know everything but I have seen a lot of concerns ( more on the that other forum but some here) that I could answer or help with.

I like your Irish charm, and think I am a part Irish also. I do not ever want to make any ruckus in your bar and feel honored that I have not been laughed out of it due to my lack of formal education.

For any that are fortunate enough to have been properly schooled and have good jobs and good hats count your blessings. I did not have any much schooling as a child and it is a lot harder to learn as an adult I am sure but I keep struggling.

Re: I missed it!

Originally posted by Andykev
Well, I missed whatever was posted and then deleted.

I just worked a 16 hour day, and just got home. Boy oh Boy what a day.

If anyone here wants to experience STRESS, and I mean STRESS.......just be glad you aren't .....

As a Bartender on the HATS forum, IF anyone posts something to make others spit out, spill, or not want to buy a round, you 'll hear it from ME. My bar is a POLITE bar. Irish. Humerous. Intelligent.

"As me mother use'd to say, ' Don't get my blood up"

Bartender, pour me a Potcheen (Knockeen Hills Black Label). I think I need it. :D :D

Regards to all,

J

Rundquist

A-List Customer
I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t had the time to be around on the board much lately so even though this is an older post, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to give my opinion. Although this hat looks superficially like a fedora, you can tell that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s made from a modern ?¢‚Ǩ?ìcowboy?¢‚Ǩ? hat felt. Well what does that mean? Well for one thing, guys that buy cowboy hats are some of the few willing to pay a high price for a hat. You can tell that the hat is made from a very nice felt, albeit one that is inconsistent to what a fedora felt is supposed to be. I can tell from the pictures that the hat is pretty stiff. This hat is more consistent to what a hatter from Texas, Montana, or Idaho would produce today, than a vintage fedora. How easily do those dents and creases come out? Things like that can define a vintage fedora felt. On the other hand many guys like a hat on the stiffer side. Cheers

Fedora

Vendor
I haven?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t had the time to be around on the board much lately so even though this is an older post, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to give my opinion. Although this hat looks superficially like a fedora, you can tell that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s made from a modern ?¢‚Ǩ?ìcowboy?¢‚Ǩ? hat felt. Well what does that mean? Well for one thing, guys that buy cowboy hats are some of the few willing to pay a high price for a hat. You can tell that the hat is made from a very nice felt, albeit one that is inconsistent to what a fedora felt is supposed to be. I can tell from the pictures that the hat is pretty stiff. This hat is more consistent to what a hatter from Texas, Montana, or Idaho would produce today, than a vintage fedora. How easily do those dents and creases come out? Things like that can define a vintage fedora felt. On the other hand many guys like a hat on the stiffer side. Cheers

I guess it could be modern cowboy felt, but it is different from what I have seen in modern cowboy hats. For one thing, it is thinner than every western hat that I have ever seen. And, the hat, or at least my hat, is not stiff at all. Even the brim will flap in the wind. I thought about putting stiffener on mine. But it is not like the Optimo either. I don't think anyone would call my hat stiff, if you had a cowboy hat in mind. It is a heavy hat for the thickness of the felt though which means it is a dense felt. I have a vintage Imperial, a vintage 3x and a vintage Whippet that is about the same stiffness of this felt. The main difference in this felt and other dress felts is the beaver element. I would venture to say that if you bought a vintage 7x or 10x Stetson fedora, or other dress hat, the felt would be about the same in softness and stiffness. I think that if you compared a vintage beaver dress hat to this hat you would see the same difference as you would see with comparing vintage blends to Optimos blends. Different felts, different animals. Fedora

Zane

Suspended

You are Correct sir this is a humorous place indeed. Here is a prime example:

Although this hat looks superficially like a fedora, you can tell that it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s made from a modern ?¢‚Ǩ?ìcowboy?¢‚Ǩ? hat felt.

albeit one that is inconsistent to what a fedora felt is supposed to be

I can tell from the pictures that the hat is pretty stiff.

I recently had the privilege of seeing over 40 such hats and also touching and feeling them and actually purchasing one and 2 bodies to make 2 more from.

I would question the judgement and intent of this viewer as none of the above were of any stiff nor cowboy felt and all were very much fedora quality felts.
now mind you I have only had about a total of 12 years experience with hats and only made about 50% Cowboy hats and 50% Fedora and dress hats so I think I can speak from experience that no one can view a still picture of a hat and tell how stiff it is.

No need to take my word for this if some one will arrange a poll to allow all to vote on the stiffness of hats or the type of felt they are made from by viewing still pictures, I will gladly post any number of the 100 of so pictures I have on this CD and let all have their hand at showing this is not possible.

I am further amazed that any one would think geographics or state hood affects the type of hat being produced. Are we to assume that hats made in Texas cannot be dress or soft?

I certainly am one that wants to obey all rules set forth here and this allows me an opportunity to be both polite and humorous at one time. In fact I am about rolling the floor laughing at such a transparent attempt to mask true unbiased post with words that are verisimilitude of a political campaign or spoke with ambiguity to the extent that I feel need to ask the person posting them to please clear up if he is clairvoyant or physic or just has super vision not possessed by any other. Runquist , I hope you are getting the same kick from your humorous post that I am positive all others are .

Now you may be correct as I have seen it contended before that fedora's are supposed to contain a fur blend to be considered a fedora but after several years of hat making and 30 years of hat wearing I have found that both fur blends and pure beaver both can and do make a very comfortable hat for the masses and the price one is willing to pay is never necessarily commensurate with the quality nor fitness of the product they recieve.

Now as it is obvious that we can all at best speculate as to the softness of the hat or lack of it, should we not defer the fitness of the hat for its purpose to its owner and not throw petty campaign slurs at such a beautiful hat that all owners of similar quality hats affirm are indeed butter soft and not alienate the people that actually own a product and report it to be one way by having a completely capricious and arbitrary opinion that contradicts all the knowledgeable people that certainly know better?

Rayk, I can only say that I was privy to only 6 orders of hats that the people requested an identical one as to yours based on your representation of the hat but then I only paid 2 visits to the hatter since your post and could not tell how many more you have inspired by your bespoke commission and obviously beautiful hat. They say Picture speaks a 1000 words and here your hat has spoken to the masses and spoke volumes and now it is reduced to a single utterance of a couple words . Cowboy hat and Stiff. I sure would love to have a closet large enough to house about 100 such cowboy hats that are so soft they feel like velvet and yet have the natural propensity to hold a shape without the use of any stiffener and do not require a high pressure stamping machine to make but can be hand crafted to old world excellence due to the superior quality of the materials and workmanship.

Zane

Suspended
I guess it could be modern cowboy felt, but it is different from what I have seen in modern cowboy hats.

Fedora, I would tell you that the modern trends of a Cowboy felt in the younger group is the only thing he was near correct about . The young group of cowboy hat wears want a ultra thing brick stiff hat. They want them so stiff and thin now a days they can literally break them .

Yes I can Imagine by now you are shaking your hear as to why any one would want such a hat and probably why any one would post such a post that was clearly uninformed but you certainly remain correct about modern cowboy hats for the older cowboys s they still like them at least 3 times as thick as a fedora or more and usually brick stiff as well.

What I have never come to grips with is why anyone wants a stiff hat or a cowboy hat. but being resilient as rubber like I am and not a cowboy I am sure for me to post such a point is about as useless as anyone that would post a fedora that is softer than goose down is in fact stiff at all.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Take it easy killer. :D You're liable to get get yourself thrown off the board like your good buddy.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Zane
What I have never come to grips with is why anyone wants a stiff hat or a cowboy hat. but being resilient as rubber like I am and not a cowboy I am sure for me to post such a point is about as useless as anyone that would post a fedora that is softer than goose down is in fact stiff at all.

Perhaps I can help shed some light on this. I'm not a cowboy, nor have I ever been or will ever be, but I know several (real ones and fake ones) and have inquired about this. The real cowboys (who actually work on ranches, farms, etc.) say they like the thicker and stiffer felts because they are more durable and less prone to damage in the elements and daily use. Also, believe it or not, there is a safety issue involved. Imagine working tall brush or riding through trees and having branches smack against your head. A floppy hat will just let that branch hit your head; a stiff one is going to resist it. Real cowboys usually have two to three hats, one for work and a couple for dress. When it comes to their dress hats, they don't want to mess with a floppy hat or ever care about how thick or thin the felt is. They only care about how good it will look every time they put it on. They like a shape and want it to stay like that.

Fake cowboys (those that dress like a cowboy and wear big buckles but have never even been on a horse - man, they are EVERYWHERE in Texas) like the thick and stiff felt cowboy hats because that is the style. That's all. It is part of the culture and look. It is the same reason they layer on the starch and iron a crease in their Wranglers. Sometime I wonder how they even walk in jeans that stiff, but that is another topic.

A few things to remember about cowboy hats and the thicker stiff felts. Usually, it is a matter of function over form. A good quality cowboy hat will last a long time, just like a good quality thin/floppy felt hat. ALso, there is a culture involved where this is the norm. I think a lot of time we put down a particular type of felt of hat without really understanding it.

Fedora

Vendor
Interesting stuff. You know, I just pulled down the Stetson book and found out something interesting too. Back around 1900 Stetson made two major lines of hat. Staple, and dress. The staple hats were the western hats, and these were soft hats. When you were galloping on a horse, the brim would give with the wind, and not as apt to blow off. On the dress hat lines, the first ones, the derby and fedora were stiff hats. Stiffened with shellac. As time went on, they added the soft hats in the dress line, while the staple hats(western) remained soft. The softer dress hats were called conforming hats as they conformed to the individual head shape. Later own, many dress hats were mostly the soft kind, while you could still get the derbies and homburgs both ways. What a turn around. Now, most western hats are as stiff as cardboard. I guess the look is more important nowadays. Regardless, the sterling beaver hat bodies are not stiff, and neither are the brims, although you can specify the stiffener if that is your cup of tea.
They say Picture speaks a 1000 words and here your hat has spoken to the masses and spoke volumes and now it is reduced to a single utterance of a couple words . Cowboy hat and Stiff.

Such an unsettling idea. I don't understand this at all. Should you not at least examine one before making assertions of this nature? Fedora

Zane

Suspended
Hi BD, Jones, You certainly not only have shed light on the situation but have made some very valid points as to the worth while nature of hats for many reasons. You know it is not only working cowboys that choose for This protection but also the military and police forces and park rangers and many others. The benefits of a stiff hat are numerous for folks in all manners of modern life.

Fedora, I still have not gotten my copy of the Stetson book but your point is of interest . Today the colloquial term is still Staple and Dress but the meaning have became juxtaposition.

The staple hat of now a days is As Runquist has described and a thicker felt of specific purpose and quite fitting for the purpose it serves. While his choice of times to bring up an old post , I am sure just as well serves its purpose, I would hope to not be expelled from this lovely lounge for correcting his post in most emphatic and knowledgeable terms. Sad is the day when I am threatened with banishment over defending the truth.

Oh well I say old Chap , The whole bloody of the mess is a bit doggy don't you think. Soap opera's and now conspiracies. Come on men let us lounge and be men of honor and courage and stand for more than the hats but also for vintage manners and let us not be so transparent in our attempts to antagonize members of this forum. Can we surly not try to be men of character and stop these back room meetings and veiled insults.

Rayk has gotten a beautiful hat and when a man of his caliber that has experienced a grand part of the world and dipped his finger in the finest of heather honey, whom are we to second guess his fine assessment of his quality hat.

Shall we next escalate to becoming chemical Ali and if some one on the bloody chat circuit is a bit different or has a peculiar aire about themselves, can they do it with out a lynching mob gathering in the quite corners and trying to gather participants to join their cause.

Really don't you think men of honor should at least pretend a bit better to act the part.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Zane wrote

Oh well I say old Chap , The whole bloody of the mess is a bit doggy don't you think. Soap opera's and now conspiracies. Come on men let us lounge and be men of honor and courage and stand for more than the hats but also for vintage manners and let us not be so transparent in our attempts to antagonize members of this forum. Can we surly not try to be men of character and stop these back room meetings and veiled insults.

Zane, Charlie or who ever I'm writing to.The Gomer Pyle Act is up. Ah shucks i can hardly write or spell.If you are not Charlie Swindlall You are his Shill, i ran a search of the word on Yahoo and this it what it said. Definitions of shill at Dictionary.com. an enthusiastic gambler to dupe bystanders into participating in a swindle.

You have gone from let me send you hat feathers to the resident expert on Hats, Hatters and Felts and God help anyone who has another opinion. I will tell you sir i know i don't know all the ends and outs of hat making I'm postive you know more than i do. Your employer has posted on many sites the reason he was kicked off the three i know of was because he told the truth. The truth didn't have anything to do with it. It his actions and his vile mouth and threats he posted. I ran my own business for 33 years and i never had to put my competition down with snide comments or back door compliments. If i had a problem with a client or product i certainly didn't blame my staff.The buck stopped with me and i didn't hide behind anyone else. You asked if i was a Rep for a hat company! No i'm not. No i do not get a discount, kickback or pay one penny less than the general public does. Zane you have posted bring me a suit and a hat and take you out for a steak dinner. You posted you only had a wool felt fedora and then in later posts you have a roll up Borsalino and tell us how you had just seen the sterling beaver and had put two of them away hoped to get them by Christmas. Then another post here is a picture of Zane's beaver hat. I guess i would call that magic.!
I know from my past its hard to keep your story straight when i wasn't being up front and honest. I"m not a fool and i can read and have read all of your posts here and the three you posted at Lost Pages. I think your main goal is just to advertise for Charlie Swindall. Charlie just had to find away TO SHOW US WHO"S BOSS because rules are for others and not for him. Zane if you aren't Charlie you might as we"ll be you both act the same to me. The hats you may make or send out to be made may will be a nice hat. I won't ever know because i'll never buy one from you or him. I respect my hatters that i deal with. Fellow lounge members and lukers if you got a hat from this vendor and you are happy, so beit. If you think you want one its pretty easy to do a search. Lots of information out there.
Zane you speak of veiled insults I sure hope mine haven't been veiled. Here is Charlie Swindall's web sites i know of. Zane maybe you will get a bonus now. Oh hi Charlie!!
Now here comes the fun folks. Expect to get a huge longwinded reply that doesn't make much sense.

http://www.neaternshit.net/

http://www.computerguy.nu/

http://www.selentino.com/

http://www.gladhatter.net/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2998&item=8114922532

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Hello again gents, I'm now in your part of the world going through my ritual reverse cultural shock...and I must say, I am again glad to see a bit of spicy conversation. And it's about hats?

But I don't think I told you that I am a very conservative Muslim, and cowboy hats are the stiff things of ihe infidels! Just kidding,

I sometimes like a nice thick beaver brim, when a fedora is not quite what I need (an Indy would do, if I had one!). Nothing feels more substantial for a horse ride across the grasslands of Inner Mongolia. Next time it will be that black Greeley aficionado
(a bit smaller brim for more some flexible city slickin' when I head up to the bars of Ulan Bator in Mongolia for a visit with the friendly local ladies).

Regards,
G

Zane

Suspended
Gee Gosh whiz.
Should I try to answer all of this as you keep up with the relevant details so well.

I did get a Borsalino and I did also sell it . Never mentioned selling it as it was a gift but as you seem to like to know intricate details of others lives, why do you just not come on down and meet everyone you talk about . It is not so far for you. As for the beaver hat again you are correct I own it as I bought it was old as I said and I actually bought 2 of them just to be a bonafide member of this elite forum but like all other hats I expect I will sell them also . I did lay away a couple bodies for Christmas and will be getting one of them out of hock soon.

I am not sure what your fascination with all my doings are but it is impressive. I am not sure what your fascination of all Gladhatters doings are as well but you have enlightened me as I had not idea he was a software developer as well. I guess you learn something new every day.

I do know that I made satisfactory proof with MK to prove my identity and I am sure he will do so and all will prove out that I am me and if not I will find I was just adopted and that will even be more interesting.

Andkev indicated he wanted to pick my brain for info and I just always try to oblige and I just want to take each opportunity to supply more good info.

You see we can all get confused I really thought that G collins and Paladin were both Gh in disguise and now it appears I was as wrong as you are! Wellnot quite as wrong as I have not confused myself as being the person that is in charge as you seem to have. Please quit trying to post inflamatory comments that are tailor made to try to get me ejected from this fine forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic