Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero ANJ-4 (pic heavy)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I had no idea you were so Morningside, Mr Otter! Edward, at this time of year you'll be lucky to meet anyone who owns a British passport.
Wdw, the jacket's back is a little over 25" and the p-2-p is 21" (take into account the 0.22" shearling). You could talk to Denny about the permutations available - they've done one ANJ-4 using the seal Irvin shearling, which is a more oatmeal colour, so they might be flexible on that. I would recommend going with your standard size, rather than sizing up, because the pattern seems to run a little large.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I just looked at the Aero page, but that's the only colour fleece it comes in. No doubt historically accurate, but limiting. The collar's huge, and I know that's the style, but if it came in black or amber I'd be very tempted, as I really like the rest of it.

I keep hoping that Aero will someday produce a version of the B-2. In the meantime, I've been told to look at their civilian Thunder Bay: have to say that, as much as I like my ANJ-4 collar, the Thunder Bay has a nice fur collar that some may find more appealing. Civilian leather jackets really are not my preference, but this one has a good classic look to it.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Back when I first joined TFL, there was a long thread on the B2... I think it was John Lever's comparison of his own LW and Buzz versions. Rufus, who was around back when, had a Buzz one I saw in person. Beautiful jacket. If memory serves, back then John said he'd spoken to Ken about it, but Ken didn't feel there was a market gor the B2, too obscure. Looking at the Thunder Bay, it seems to me that it would take very little to convert it to B2 spec. Chiefly just a slightly different liner, bigger collar, and the one flap pocket in place of handwarmers. Could be worth chatting to Denny if you're considering it. Alternative liner and pockets shouldn't require redrafting the basic pattern, though the collar might be an issue if it is a different shape where it attaches. Denny posted a while back about jacket collars not being interchangeable across certain patterns and styles.

John Lever

One Too Many
Ken once told me that he doesn't like the B2. I have just looked at the Thunder Bay and if it just had the one single pocket it would be similar to the B1 apart from the collar would need to be much bigger.

Edward

Bartender
The main difference from B1 to B2 was the lining, wasn't it?

Can totally see why they made the jump to shearling alone for the B3: must have radically cut production time. I do love the earlier designs, though.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
For anyone who has suffered the irritation of indigo denim dye getting on to their shearling, I recommend White Wizard for lifting it out - you simply rub it in with a sponge, then lift it with some hot water and towel off any excess water and it's good as new!

Stand By

One Too Many
Finally, I'm back from my two weeks in Mexico!
And whilst I was down there, I was thinking about TFL and wondering just how you'd made out with your new ANJ-4 and if you'd received it …

And it looks really great and well worth waiting for!
That was a good choice that you made on the goatskin panels too! And that trapunto stitching is always something to behold too. It just looks quality all 'round.
It fits you perfectly - thanks for your fit comments on the comparison of the Irvin .v. ANJ-4 btw, that's most helpful to note - and it really looks like it was made for you. It's certainly doesn't yell "I'M A FLYING JACKET" quite like an Irvin does and it has that appeal as well.
It'll be good to see any photos of it as the years go by and see how it moulds and the fur on the collar settles.
Well done. Wear it in good heath and enjoy the dickens out of it!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's been fantastic so far. Took it along Ayr beach on New Year's Day, and didn't feel a thing. We're expecting temperatures to take a plunge this weekend, so it's going to get a proper test next week.

Stand By

One Too Many
It's been fantastic so far. Took it along Ayr beach on New Year's Day, and didn't feel a thing. We're expecting temperatures to take a plunge this weekend, so it's going to get a proper test next week.

Ah, a good on-shore wind is the benchmark test for a heavy-zone jacket, if you ask me.
I remember when I first arrived in Canada back in '96 and my first winter ('96/'97) was a really cold one (apparently) and I had my old Aviation Leathercraft Irvin then - which had been completely undefeated with the cold weather I'd known up to that time.
I was living just a few houses up from the lake in The Beaches, and one evening, I was feeling rather warm and like I wanted out and just to get some fresh air. I put my Irvin on over a t-shirt (as I'd been warm) and went down the Boardwalk. And my, what a beautiful picture it was - like the picture on a lid of a tin of biscuits; A perfect virgin snow, lightly dusted and drifting nicely, the snow blowing inland off the lake and it lit up in the yellow arcs of the victorian lamp lights - and it was simply stunning! And it was so silent and serene and there wasn't single soul in sight in either direction! I couldn't believe it! I had the entire Boardwalk to myself. What a shame, I thought - that nobody else was there to share in this beauty. I couldn't believe that nobody else would come out to see this … and I started my solo stroll, just taking it all in.
Then I felt the icy wind go right through my Irvin! Now that I also couldn't believe as it had never happened before! And the icy, bone-chilling winds quickly started to freeze my ears and face and then my legs - and before knew it, within just a few minutes, I was pegging it up and off the Boardwalk as fast as I could, desperate to get back the toasty apartment!!!
And that is why there was nobody else out there. They all knew better.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The coldest wind I've encountered was the one that came in off the lake at Chicago. The Irvin held up, but all over extremities were numb.

zoran

Banned
Well, Christmas came early this year when Denny at Aero emailed me this morning to say that Tony had put the finishing touches to my ANJ-4. Thankfully, I had enough wiggle-room in my day to make the festive journey east to pick up my self-present ("It's just what I wanted! How did you know?"). Anyway, the fit is spot on (a new size 36 pattern was made on this occasion), it's incredibly comfortable and, as you'd expect, warm. The seal goat panels look as good as I hoped they would, and Tony has done a fantastic job machining it - I cannot imagine how hard it is to do all that single needle russet stitching on thick shearling - and it's a serious piece of kit. Anyway, rather than blether on, here are some 'just home' pics, I'll post some fit pics once the sun struggles above the horizon tomorrow.
View attachment 40773

View attachment 40774

View attachment 40775

GetFileAttachment

View attachment 40776
hello.What is the exact weight of Aero Leathers Anj4 .Can you measure it?What is the size? Best.

zoran

Banned
hello.What is the exact weight of the Aero Leathers Anj4?It looks very havy.Is it more than 4 kilos? 3,5 maybe?

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-23_19-21-2.png
    upload_2015-12-23_19-21-2.png
    482.6 KB · Views: 1,166

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Blimey, you are persistent, aren't you? My ANJ-4 tagged as a 36, the back is 25" and P-2-P is 22". If you're getting one, you'll able to ask for the cuffs to be whatever length you like - they run large, so if you're going for an Aero, I'd go with your usual size. It comes in at 3kg / 6.6lbs - heavier than an Irvin but it's not burdensome.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm afraid I traded it in precisely because I just couldn't get enough use out of it. It's turns out that Glasgow isn't cold enough! Aero swapped it for an off-the-peg D-1, which I've got acres of use out of. I was quite sad to hand it back as it was a beautiful bit of kit , but I just couldn't justify the expense of owning it - if you are getting one, I would recommend getting the seal goat panels as they really give the jacket a classy edge.

Rich200uk

New in Town
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I have one coming in the post that was on the sales page. I am going to use it to see how it fits. Realistically I think I will end up sending it back and getting a thinner jacket that will get more use year round.

Again thanks for letting me know your feedback on the jacket.

I'm afraid I traded it in precisely because I just couldn't get enough use out of it. It's turns out that Glasgow isn't cold enough! Aero swapped it for an off-the-peg D-1, which I've got acres of use out of. I was quite sad to hand it back as it was a beautiful bit of kit , but I just couldn't justify the expense of owning it - if you are getting one, I would recommend getting the seal goat panels as they really give the jacket a classy edge.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They're great things but you need to have proper hard winters to make it worth owning. I'd suggest a B-6, D-1 or an Irvin as more flexible options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner