Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero back designs

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
As the point has been made by more than a few people, the biggest disappointment about AL is the lack of diversification. To me, AL have made the job of establishing themselves a thousand times harder, simply because they've set themselves as direct competition to Aero - I know it's been said that they're aiming at a different market, but I just don't buy that.
AL had the opportunity to do something really radical and interesting - in fact it was in their best interests to - and they haven't. You have to ask yourself why.

jlanderson

One of the Regulars
AL had the opportunity to do something really radical and interesting - in fact it was in their best interests to - and they haven't. You have to ask yourself why.

You're quite correct in that assessment. And I wonder if the answer to your question might lie in who is the financial backer of the venture: a businessman who made his fortune in the mass marketing of shoes. After all, a shoe is a shoe is a shoe.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well, I think that Ken happened to come up with a novel idea a number of years ago of trying to develop jacket patterns from another era, and in the process developed a true cult following with his interpretation of vintage jackets, best known in FQHH.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Does all this really bother you so much!! I thought we were just a bunch of guys talking about clothes, really not that important. Don't get your blood pressure up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well..again..it looks like any threads (now) concerning either Aero designs or Alexander's projects must degrade into eventual trash talk..no matter what. Finally getting personal with name calling all pumped up by just a few members who can't get past the last thread of what is becoming the same ole same ole.
Stung by the obvious new recently stunning fit disagreement..morfing into half belted silliness just to argue..then more disruption erupting into the ongoing Aero/Alexander war again. Sadly it only takes one or two to turn a relaxing enjoyable lounge into a crude and rude bar brawl..even in the fedora section if allowed.
HD

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Future jacket idea

For a couple of years now I've dreamed of having someone, probably Aero because I bought one of their halfbelts back in
2005 and love it, do a custom job with a pleated back like these ones:

caboose_vintageblack_036_zpsd832e75e.jpg

leatherjkt3_zps09e4cd91.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the halfbelt deluxe, it's already got the action back pleats on the sides, I'd just need to have them add a center pleat and, to imitate the jacket in the first photo, two extra side action pleats.

So far I've never been able to scrape up the dough to get it done but I haven't stopped thinking about it! The new crop of back designs has only added fuel to the fire!

Plumbline

One Too Many
As the point has been made by more than a few people, the biggest disappointment about AL is the lack of diversification. To me, AL have made the job of establishing themselves a thousand times harder, simply because they've set themselves as direct competition to Aero - I know it's been said that they're aiming at a different market, but I just don't buy that.

Sloanie .. to all intensive purposes THEY WERE AERO ( MD, Company Sec., cutter and 11 of 12 experienced machinists ) :D .... what was the term on the AL website 248 years ( or something like that) accumulated leather jacket making experience ???? Why would they NOT do what they have always done ??

HD .. stop poking the wasps nest with a stick and then pleasding innocence and outrage that you get stung my friend !

..But I haven't gotten stung Plumbline. Although it seems that your angst is determined to keep an argument in play on these threads rather than anything worthwhile and enjoyable for those interested in the original topic. Somehow..I don't see you as a wasp's nest..but only a nuisance. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You make an interesting point, PL and yet nothing on the AL site other than the glaring similarity of the designs makes me think they have an Aero pedigree. So, maybe it comes down to original patterns and a level of inspiration by the originator, Ken, to make something with that je ne sais quoi - GW's jackets I think fall into this, perhaps HB. So you ask why they should do something different: because, whether or not AL is aiming for a different market, they will suffer comparison at every turn.

majormajor

One Too Many
For a couple of years now I've dreamed of having someone, probably Aero because I bought one of their halfbelts back in
2005 and love it, do a custom job with a pleated back like these ones:

caboose_vintageblack_036_zpsd832e75e.jpg

leatherjkt3_zps09e4cd91.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the halfbelt deluxe, it's already got the action back pleats on the sides, I'd just need to have them add a center pleat and, to imitate the jacket in the first photo, two extra side action pleats.

So far I've never been able to scrape up the dough to get it done but I haven't stopped thinking about it! The new crop of back designs has only added fuel to the fire!

Very nice designs. As you say, it would be good to see Aero do something like that:D

Plumbline

One Too Many
Anyone know if the single pleat down the middle gives increased freedom of movement or is it just cosmetic ( don't have any jackets with a single reverse pleat) ..... just wondered if it was decorative or functional ????

Plumbline

One Too Many
You make an interesting point, PL and yet nothing on the AL site other than the glaring similarity of the designs makes me think they have an Aero pedigree. So, maybe it comes down to original patterns and a level of inspiration by the originator, Ken, to make something with that je ne sais quoi - GW's jackets I think fall into this, perhaps HB. So you ask why they should do something different: because, whether or not AL is aiming for a different market, they will suffer comparison at every turn.

They will indeed ... and I think what Aero is doing .. as you mentioned earlier ... is putting some clear water between them anyway ( hence why I DON'T think they are aiming at the same consumer). I see Ken moving much more towards the GW model ( on a grander scale obviously) and I see AL filling some of the space left and going much more mainstream.

I could be completely wrong and perhaps Ken is aiming at both spaces .. let me also be CRYSTAL CLEAR. I have no skin in either camp ... I am a consumer of jackets and self confessed jacket whore of worst type ( I buy on quality not loyalty). Aero produce, and I am sure will continue to produce exceptional jackets. My experience is AL also do ..... the winner here is the consumer (me .. us) ..... choice is everything and I do believe that AL will come up with alternative choices but I DONT think they will be going down the path I see Ken going down which is MUCH MORE "Fedora Lounge" consumer focused and with more parallels with GW than AL - real attempts to produce as close as possible reproduction 1920's-30's and 40's jackets down to fit, construction, materials, colours and patterns.

Just MHO ..... I don't "KNOW" any of this it's just reading and seeing what I have .. and using my business, marketing and product development experience !

pauleway

Practically Family
Anyone know if the single pleat down the middle gives increased freedom of movement or is it just cosmetic ( don't have any jackets with a single reverse pleat) ..... just wondered if it was decorative or functional ????

I am sure that it would be funcional, not to mention-looks good too!

Cooperson

One Too Many

The single pleat in the back of the Aero Pioneer works well, I'm surprised just how much movement it does give - looks neat too.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed. I assume, though, taking into account the Japanese dedication to authenticity,
they took the idea from an actual vintage jacket. Personally I think the look is better
with the adjusters and belt level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou