Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEW Aero Board Racer and opinions needed...

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
That folding/puckering on the front of the left shoulder would be a complete deal-killer for me. It's not sewn right. Look at the seam where the sleeve attaches to the body - it's laying flat. And look at the seam where your collar attaches to the body - it, too, is laying flat. But the leather between the two seams is all messed up. Looks horrible. Can you even get it to lay flat? It looks like those folds are permanently sewn in. Surprised it got past quality control.

I'd send it back and ask for a remake - and get the sleeves 1/2" longer while they're at it.

When I received the jacket there was NO puckering so maybe after a few hours of riding and due to the leather stretching it could have caused the puckering? No idea as I have never owned a Board Racer so do not know if this is supposed to happen.

Could you please explain how to fix this problem or avoid it in the future so I can relay this info to Denny at Aero?

I do know that it has NEVER happened to any of my Cafe Racers in the past including the black 38 CR in CXL Steerhide you see in the photo above which is well broken-in and SOFT as butter !!

It seems the majority here feel that I need to return the jacket and ask for a remake which was my original intent as well. Denny asked me to give it a try and so I have. It really is a shame as the TRULY LOVE the deep and rich color.

My goal was to try the Board Racer style since it encompasses everything I wanted in a jacket made for riding. I have to get the fit spot on as I intend to order 2 or 3 more (black and maybe brown CXL FQHH) with the SAME specs so I want them to be near identical if possible. They will all be used for riding and the occasional casual wear but I have many other jackets for casual wear as well.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I love the colour and the fit (actually this colour is amazing). With a plain t-shirt or shirt underneath the fit would be awesome. Body length is ok. Regarding the sleeves: if it were a casual jacket then I'd say it's ok. But for riding (depending ofcourse on your bike and riding style) I'm afraid it would be too short, I agree with the rest of the fellows. Also, as Carlos said, having 6 leather jackets in total (the oldest of the current ones being 5 years old) I still haven't witnessed any sleeve shrinking.
Personally I would probably return it, unless you consider the colour and the overall fit overwhelming.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Unless you're not wearing gloves while riding I've never understood why people always need such longer sleeves than usual.

To me it seems to be an american thing. Maybe because they have more cruisers with huge handlebars?
I ride and never understood it either. To me the sleeves in the original pictures would be great on the bike.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
To me it seems to be an american thing. Maybe because they have more cruisers with huge handlebars?
I ride and never understood it either. To me the sleeves in the original pictures would be great on the bike.

I have several motorcycles ranging from racers to tourers so yes the sleeves to matter more depending on the style of bike you are riding.

On a racer you are more hunched-over and your arms are in a more extended position as well as the jacket riding up a bit more due to the leaning and angle of your body.

On a tourer, your body is more upright and your arms are extended less so the jacket body length does not need to be as long as on a racer and the sleeves would also not need to be as well either.

Hope that helps to understand the difference in riding position depending on the bike and style of riding.

I also wanted to address your point about the shrinking of the sleeves. I never said that sleeves shrink as that seems improbable.

What I was concerned about is the creasing caused by riding and usage when the sleeves are zipped.

The creasing DOES cause the sleeves to shorten slightly. I know from over 28 years of owning motorcycles and the vaious jackets to ride them.

I have and still own jackets from Aero, Eastman, Vanson, RM, Schott, and a few custom independents from South America (Argentina). All of my motorcycle style jackets that I have worn during riding sessions have CREASED sleeves which DO shorten the overall sleeve length regardless if the sleeve is zipped or not. The creases DO loosen a bit and become softer with wear BUT they are still present and DO shorten the overall length, just not as much as tight creases when zipped OR if the leather is still stiff.

Last edited:
It's a very attractive jacket and the fit quite flattering on you imho. Could the sleeves be longer? Sure. Do they need to be? Will it always bother you at this length? If you answered yes to either question then I'd send it back.
We all have different preferences on fit as you've read but ultimately the only opinion that matters is yours. Go with your gut. That first doubt usually plants a seed that won't ever go away and will ultimately leave you less than satisfied.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
It's a very attractive jacket and the fit quite flattering on you imho. Could the sleeves be longer? Sure. Do they need to be? Will it always bother you at this length? If you answered yes to either question then I'd send it back.
We all have different preferences on fit as you've read but ultimately the only opinion that matters is yours. Go with your gut. That first doubt usually plants a seed that won't ever go away and will ultimately leave you less than satisfied.

Very sound and logical advice. I appreciate it.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Take your hands out of your pockets, let your arms hang naturally & retake the photos.
I predict the result will alter the perceived 'fit' of the sleeve length noticeably.
Remember that with any measurements, FQHH is a beast of a leather. + or minus 1/2 an inch is within tolerance. So if your have 25", then I'd say any length error may be with your original request, not the jacket.
It looks to me that you should have requested a minimum of 26" & possibly slightly more for riding.

I had my fiance take a couple quick photos early this afternoon so please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

Photos with sleeves UNZIPPED.

Photos with sleeves ZIPPED.

And for all the Steve McQueen fans out there !!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Thanks but what do you think about the sleeve length? No idea if you read the original post but I updated the photos and the sleeves were my original concern.
As I said earlier I think it really depends on your bike and riding style. For a casual jacket the length is spot-on. However if you feel that while riding the sleeve gets really short then I'd say send it back, you will never be happy with it. It's an amazing jacket though.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
As I said earlier I think it really depends on your bike and riding style. For a casual jacket the length is spot-on. However if you feel that while riding the sleeve gets really short then I'd say send it back, you will never be happy with it. It's an amazing jacket though.

Understood. Please read my response above where I responded to Carlos for my riding style as I have multiple bikes ranging from racing to tourers.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
IMHO, too short in the sleeves AND body, and it fits oddly in the chest/underarms.

Bottom line, if the measurements do not match what you ordered, you have every right to return it. I recently had the same experience with a different manufacturer, and I sent it back. Aero will take good care of you.

hey Craig,

I actually thought the fit was not that bad besides having a couple places in the body bunch up but I was thinking it was due to the stiffness of the leather which would eventually do away when it breaks and becomes softer. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by strange fit? If I do send this jacket back I would like to know how to explain the fit to Denny at Aero. Thanks in advance.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeh, I agree with ton. Keep it. It's perfect as it is. The sleeves look much better length-wise on these new pics. I guess they look that short on the first pics because they don't fit over your wrists when zipped. (Wrists too wide/sleeves too tight zipped up, but I wouldn't send it back for that.) Seriously, I revert all I said before. It's unlikely the next one will fit better. You got this much right with this one, don't take that for granted. Keep it, it's perfect.

I wouldn't be sending that one back. No chance. Sleeve length looks good to my eye. It's within tolerance. Sadly, I don't get to wear it.

Thirded. I wouldn't change a single thing on it. Seriously, keep it as there's really nothing that can be done on this one to improve it. Perfect. Adding even half an inch to the sleeves would make 'em too long.

IXL

One Too Many
The second set of images puts the sleeve-length issue in a completely different light. Based on these, if it were mine, I'd just wear it with the confidence that comes with having a superior jacket. Also, I don't think most jackets look particularly good if they are completely smooth in their drape across one's torso: the "puckering" adds a dimension to the leather and makes it "yours."

But if you still feel the sleeves are just too short, you will save yourself a world of hurt in the long run if you just get another one manufactured.
Good luck with this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot