Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Board Track Racing shirt in tumbled cordovan

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Looks like the satin lining in the sleeves comes right to the edge of the cuff like they do with their other linings. What are your thoughts on that? That's a high wear spot for me. I'm wondering how durable the satin is in that spot. But damn, I sure would appreciate the ease and comfort satin sleeves provides

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes that's what the vintage ones do with sleeve lining and yes it does wear there. The only thing I'm not convinced by with this pattern (which is a nice one) is the shape of the mandarin collar. I prefer them narrower and for the snaps to be evenly spaced so you don't get that lopsided flappy look (for want of a better phrase). That's where the Buco for me has the edge. But it's a question of personal taste.

This is what I mean.

Buco.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
Yes that's what the vintage ones do with sleeve lining and yes it does wear there. The only thing I'm not convinced by with this pattern (which is a nice one) is the shape of the mandarin collar. I prefer them narrower and for the snaps to be evenly spaced so you don't get that lopsided flappy look (for want of a better phrase). That's where the Buco for me has the edge. But it's a question of personal taste.

This is what I mean.

View attachment 15700

Hey Seb .. i'm not sure it's a J-100 replica ... there are so many differences compared to the J-100 ( If Ken & Co had wanted to make a J-100 replica ... it would no doubt be a REALLY GOOD J-100 replica)

I think it's more of an interpretation of an early cafe racer style jacket .... and a nice one ...... the name makes it sound 20's but the style is definately 50's. I also prefer the more traditional symetrical Cafe Racer collar and also would do away with the wind flap which was never a feature of cafe racers ( it's more of a navy jacket thing IMHO) ...... but it's all a matter of taste.

Great fit Sloanie ..... too neat for me ... but then no surprise there :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
@cyber Interesting point. Aesthetically, I like the to-the-edge look, though potentially it could be a weak point. I know that Aero spent some time finding a rayon lining that was robust enough to do the job - apparently not all satins are made equal! - and it will be rotated with my other jackets, so I'm not worried about it.
@seb It horses for courses with the collar. Personally, I prefer the look of the higher collar. The first time I saw it, I thought it looked like a precursor to the dirt rider style, and given the board track racers went on to be dirt riders, the shape makes kind of sense.
@Fanch Those socks were chosen specifically for the photo shoot!
@Plumbline It's intended to be worn v slim so anything larger and it would be a bit bell-like, tbh, so I don't think it would be one for you :D. However, I can see the Japanese market embracing this design. I think the windflap thing is some did/ some don't: http://vintagehaberdashers.com/2012/05/23/brimaco-leather-cafe-racer-jacket/

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Perhps not 1950's then ... perhaps 1960's.

Never had a traditional Cafe Racer with a windflap .... had plenty of bike jackets with front zippers with windflaps but the cafe racer was a minimalist jacket my 2 x 1950's original jackets didn't even have gussets or flaps on the sleeve zips. Levis did a 1960's cafe racer similar to the Board Racer with a slightly smaller windflap and similar collar ( but differnt designs on the sleeve and back)

http://www.styleforum.net/g/i/1197894/a/519782/lvc-levis-1960-buco-cafe-racer-leather-jacket-medium/

It was in much lighter leather however, but nice none the less.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
....and a similar collar to the BTR! Just shows you, when it comes to jacket design, there are a smorgasbord of features to pick from. Nice jacket, HD.

schitzo

Suspended
Right, here's a couple of shonky selfies to tide you over.

Hard to properly gauge from that angle, but is this one a little bit longer than your others? As I say, perhaps it is the angle, but from here I'm thinking it could be a bit on the long side. More fit pictures at the weekend will surely clarify

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Probably the pic. The zip stops at around the belt and the jacket continues a for a few inches further - similar to the Buco design - so you can sit without it riding up. It's an ideal length, as I can wear a jumper under it without having to tuck it in! Shall be posting better fit pics tomorrow.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Seb .. i'm not sure it's a J-100 replica ... there are so many differences compared to the J-100 ( If Ken & Co had wanted to make a J-100 replica ... it would no doubt be a REALLY GOOD J-100 replica)

I think it's more of an interpretation of an early cafe racer style jacket .... and a nice one ...... the name makes it sound 20's but the style is definately 50's. I also prefer the more traditional symetrical Cafe Racer collar and also would do away with the wind flap which was never a feature of cafe racers ( it's more of a navy jacket thing IMHO) ...... but it's all a matter of taste.

Great fit Sloanie ..... too neat for me ... but then no surprise there :D

Hi Plumb. I know it isn't a Buco copy. It's a totally different design. My point is that from this cafe racer era I prefer the more discreet collar of the Buco and the collar of the Thursdon Bros version of Sloan's jacket. The mandarin collar can look odd to me when it's high and has a long edge where the snaps are.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I like everything about the fit of the BTR. The tumbled FQHH already has great character. How heavy does the BTR "feel" compared to your LHB?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy