Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Dustbowl

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Very nice; fit, color and finish! Pictures are excellent. Enjoy the "wearing in."

Relaxed works best for me.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
Looks great ... and nice to see another lounger who likes that style of fit " just a little bit relaxed" I'll use that, just how I like them :) ...... wear it well.

tpschar

New in Town
Does this jacket fit boxy on the back?

Here's a shot of the back.

P1030737.JPG

Edward

Bartender
The DB is a really lovely design. I'm tempted.... I want over the next year to sort myself out a black halfbelt of some description. Back when I was gonig to go for the Thirties Halfbelt, but hen Ken introduced all those lovely new designs, I figured I'd go for something different in design as well as colour (I already have a brown Thirties halfbelt - always nice to have that little bit more variation). At present I'm leaning towards a Speedster as I really want a breast pocket, though the back of this is gorgeous..... I'm planning a factory visit some time this year to try on different styles and see what works for me. Tough choice, though. I do like this in Cordovan...

KIT

New in Town
Nice jacket and a good fit.I have the same jacket, and have had a number of good comments from complete strangers about it.Enjoy the new DB.

Edward

Bartender
I don't understand why's Aero always so keen to advise against an inside pocket when without it, your Dustbowl for example would virtually have no dependable pockets you could store your valuables into.

To the best of my knowledge, it's a mix of things. Firstly, apparently most of the original pieces on which they based these designs didn't have jackets (I suppose people in those days tended to have somewhere else to stow the wallet, and didn't tend to carry the same load of travel card wallet / credit card wallet / field telephone / et cetera extras we do now. Also, I get the impression they tend to advise against because of folks who compain about the outline of these inside pockets showing through over time. My Dustbowl (I did eventually buy one!) was specc'ed with two pockets - one breast zip outer (I went with that and a plain front rather than the standard Dustbowl look), nd one interior on the right breast, opposite the zip pocket. Seems to be a good combination (I've had other jackets with two internal pockets plus the outer ones, and really that was overkill), which can manage field telephone / wallet and, on occasion, the iPod. I won't care if it shows through a bit. My HWM is the entirely standard pattern, with no internal pockets. I've adapted to that, but I still prefer the option.

I am still not convinced in the validity of the claims regarding the pocket shape showing through on the outside, but even if this might present a problem with an inside facing placed pocket, there's still no reason why a standard lining pocket, like done by Lewis Leathers or Schott or any other cheapo leather jacket manufacturer, couldn't serve as an alternative. Not only would these not appear through but you would also have an inside pocket!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am still not convinced in the validity of the claims regarding the pocket shape showing through on the outside, but even if this might present a problem with an inside facing placed pocket, there's still no reason why a standard lining pocket, like done by Lewis Leathers or Schott or any other cheapo leather jacket manufacturer, couldn't serve as an alternative. Not only would these not appear through but you would also have an inside pocket!

I have a couple of jackets with inside vertical pockets WITHOUT snap or zipper closure that do not show through. My US Navy G-1 has an inside vertical pocket with snap closure but noticed that I never snapped it shut, which was my motivation to order inside vertical pockets without closure.

Edward

Bartender
I am still not convinced in the validity of the claims regarding the pocket shape showing through on the outside,

Me neither, but there are folks out there that have complained about this in the past.... I don't think Aero are saying it's a problem so much as they advise those who might whine about it not to have the pockets. ;)

but even if this might present a problem with an inside facing placed pocket, there's still no reason why a standard lining pocket, like done by Lewis Leathers or Schott or any other cheapo leather jacket manufacturer, couldn't serve as an alternative. Not only would these not appear through but you would also have an inside pocket!

Could do. I find they tend to sag a lot more and areen't as easily accessible, but they are definitely an alternative.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've found that, if you are having a vertical inside pocket, if there's an exterior breast pocket then having it on the same side minimises the potential for 'shine through'. My LHB has this issue, but tbh, it's all part of the overall appearance of the jacket rather than a glaring fault.

Yep. Any any alternative to the trousers back pocket aka the sucker pocket is a good alternative. Really, the most ridiculous place to keep ones valuables. Well, there's always a fanny pack, too. :D But yes, what Sloan said. At least I certainly couldn't care less if the pattern of the pocket began to show through my jacket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd also warn against having two inside pockets. Did that, and I never use the right-hand one at all. It stays unzipped at all times.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Pocket shapes have come through on Aeros, Johnson Leathers and Alexander jackets I've seen. I think it looks fine. I wouldn't call Schotts "cheapo" I find the workmanship on them to be superb and the very thick cotton pocket lining as robust an option as that from any boutique brand I've had or worn.

Edward

Bartender
I'd also warn against having two inside pockets. Did that, and I never use the right-hand one at all. It stays unzipped at all times.

I have two inner pockets on a couple of jackets. The ones on the 30s HB get used but the outer pockets (smaller, horizontal types) don't. The Bootlegger, I use the one on the right, and the one on the left not so much (even if it is easier to get at with the jacket partially closed). The breast pocket on the Bootlegger is wonderfully large. Experience has definitely taught me, though, that I only really need two pockets in a jacket (field telephone and wallet), and one external, one internal is just fine.

I think it looks fine. I wouldn't call Schotts "cheapo" I find the workmanship on them to be superb and the very thick cotton pocket lining as robust an option as that from any boutique brand I've had or worn.

My mistake - I can see how that sentence must have came across, but it's definitely not what I meant.
Even if I wasn't a huge Schott fan, I wouldn't ever refer to them as cheapo as they objectively are among the top tier of jacket manufacturers, same as Lewis Leathers.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Nice cordovan color! I'm also a cordovan fan myself with a rare HH Vanson Enfield. The color really is a show stopper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ