Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Jean Jacket 557XX Type III

Has anyone ever tried doing a home overdye on a leather jacket? I'm not too crafty but what would happen if I tried to make this black over brown? What dye, technique, procedure would you recommend to mess with it. It's a beater.

But I like it.

I've done this on one jacket, made a mixture of wax, leather lotion and dye that and it turned out much better than I expected. It's a cheap B3 knockoff that I wear all the time now. But anyway, I always thought Rbm's Brooks came out real well. Much better than it was and with some wear, it ought to look like A-1's J24.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...-cafe-racer-jackets.48163/page-8#post-2144669

BobJ

Practically Family
I've never dyed a jacket, but I have dyed plenty of boots and shoes. I had (and still have) no idea of what I'm doing, but, in every instance, I liked the finished product IMMENSELY more than the one I started with.

I always removed polish and/or sealant with acetone, first, though.

Never had a problem with the dye running. I use this:

2016_Color-Chart_Web.jpg

LINK: https://www.fiebing.com/

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I have used "Kid's Scuff stuff" in black , a free flowing liquid poured into a small bottle of leather treatment with no pigment.

Shake well , apply with a foam pad , leave outside to dry off ( easy here in Western Australia !) , buff the next morning and you're good to go.

Lasts for years , even used i ton my 1990 purchased Eastman Luftwaffe , mates thought I had bought (another haha) jacket !

The guy who delivered my Hercules from Johnson with a new #10 Zipper to my house (thanks guy) commented on how he liked this GAP brown cow hide Type 3. Surprised the heck out of me. Its pretty much a schemata as far as I'm concerned. But, I like it anyway.

I see all kinds of things online about people running their jackets through a washer and dryer, folding and unfolding in some leather jacket macramė. I hear about sand paper, and of course there is the pre-distressed jackets from the corporate world.

Strange stuff. I think we should start a thread "Show Us Your Beaters". I like beaters. Anyway, I like the concept of teacorp. Not crazy about this color or texture of this jacket. The texture may improve with use, although I was wondering has anyone ever tried doing a home distress, and/or dye job on their beater jacket.

This GAP "Vintage" cow hide jacket cost me $80 delivered. Much better than the new $300 plus Levi's buffalo I returned. So, I was thinking of messing with it. I have never liked the concept of distressed or faded, or acid washed etc.. Always figured buy it and let it do its' thing.

Has anyone ever tried doing a home overdye on a leather jacket? I'm not too crafty but what would happen if I tried to make this black over brown? What dye, technique, procedure would you recommend to mess with it. It's a beater.

But I like it.
Black is a tricky color. It can quickly go purple if it's not mixed with enough brown (and green). I tried (and miserably failed) to dye a light brown jacket black and the result was a light purple jacket that I couldn't even look at. I don't think the result was caused by poor prep work either. I completely striped the entire topcoat with 1200 grit sand paper and nail polish remover. I think if I had gone with dark brown instead of black I'd have gotten the color I was after. Whatever the case just be aware that straight black dye won't yield a black jacket!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Black is a tricky color. It can quickly go purple if it's not mixed with enough brown (and green). I tried (and miserably failed) to dye a light brown jacket black and the result was a light purple jacket that I couldn't even look at. I don't think the result was caused by poor prep work either. I completely striped the entire topcoat with 1200 grit sand paper and nail polish remover. I think if I had gone with dark brown instead of black I'd have gotten the color I was after. Whatever the case just be aware that straight black dye won't yield a black jacket!
It's always best to test.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket - I want one but at nearly 1300.00 USD (jacket, shipping & customs fees) I must take pause and consider it's worth to me. A statement jacket for sure but in IMO - double YIKES on the cost. Still, we only go around once and obtaining just one more specialty jacket before I reach the finish line might be worth the expense. Time will tell!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab

Looks sweet, but I'll pass on that one. Too expensive to be a beater, yet the trucker design imho too prejudiced to serve as anything but a beater, so this expensive trucker concept somehow doesn't add up for me.

That being said, the Schott Trucker from the bay arrived today and it's sweet. It feels like it is designed for someone 5" larger than me, long in the body and the sleeves, but the leather is gorgeous and the jacket appears to be unworn, there's not a single scratch on the leather.. will try to get pictures up this weekend.

Reactions: MET

Edward

Bartender
Very nice indeed. I especially like that blanket lining. Pricier than I think I could go on that style, but flawlessly executed. I imagine this will sell well on the Japanese market, based on what I see online.

I wonder if the blanket lining will be an option in anything else? I think it would be very cool in something like a J106.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto