Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Multi-Panel Irvin (pic heavy)

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was just sitting here in Miami thinking almost exactly the same thing: lucky ba***rd. He gets to sit up there all winter and wear that jacket, while I'm stuck here and wear my Aero for maybe a couple of months. Dammit.

aswatland

It is great to see the finished later War jacket being worn. It really does look so much better now, a decent chestnut colour as well! The sleeves are long but not untypical of early War Irvins and at least they will not expose your wrists when driving to Aero's factory to organise your next purchase!

alsendk

A-List Customer
Congrats with your new Irvin
It looks good on you, and the sleeve length looks fine to me. I am still very happy about my own ALC Irvin, but can see very clearly how far ALC is from the original Irvin. Really a shame they do not pull themselves together to make an accurate copy. The overall craftman ship, and the machinery is available. They really ought to live up to the famous name they carry.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Wow, thank you all for your kind words, I'm not even sure the pics really capture how rich the colour of the hide and fleece are. I think your comments reflect how hard Aero have worked to create this. As everyone seems to be enjoying it, here are a few close up pics of the jacket:

@Griff, I measured the back, it's 23", collar to hem, 26" sleeve, 17" across the shoulder and approx 20" pit to pit.

Last edited:

aswatland

Thanks for the updated pictures. Why has Aero placed a reproduction Irvin Air Chute label on this late War jacket? These elaborate labels were rarely used in the War and certainly not after 1941. Why have they not used their own Aero label? I understand the rights to the IAC name belongs to Aviation Leathercraft's mother company motolita and they are known to take trade-mark infringements very seriously, even forcing Ebay to end auctions where the word "Irvin" has been used in the title.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I asked for it! :D I was shown it last week, liked the work your team did on it originally, especially the little 'Irving' spelling quirk on the label, so I decided to have it sewn in as a little personal touch. When it comes to the shape of the arms, colour of hide and texture of fleece, I'm with you all the way in striving for accuracy and verisimilitude, but nobody sees this when I'm wearing it:D. As far as I know, Aero's standard label go into the others.

I asked for it! :D I was shown it last week, liked the work your team did on it originally, especially the little 'Irving' spelling quirk on the label, so I decided to have it sewn in as a little personal touch. When it comes to the shape of the arms, colour of hide and texture of fleece, I'm with you all the way in striving for accuracy and verisimilitude, but nobody sees this when I'm wearing it:D. As far as I know, Aero's standard label go into the others.

Oh come on, you did it to piss off Andrew, we all know that lol
I think it looks great (jacket, not label). Beautiful work and color.

Otter

One Too Many
Thanks for the updated pictures. Why has Aero placed a reproduction Irvin Air Chute label on this late War jacket? These elaborate labels were rarely used in the War and certainly not after 1941. Why have they not used their own Aero label? I understand the rights to the IAC name belongs to Aviation Leathercraft's mother company motolita and they are known to take trade-mark infringements very seriously, even forcing Ebay to end auctions where the word "Irvin" has been used in the title.

I wonder if Irwing would be acceptable.

wdw

One Too Many
By coincidence, I saw someone wearing what was probably a mall Irvin with a lighter fleece today in Edinburgh and thought it looked pretty good. I can only imagine how much better this version will look in real life, especially after it's been roughed up a bit.

If it wasn't for the waiting list, I don't think I'd be able to resist one myself now.

Otter

One Too Many
By coincidence, I saw someone wearing what was probably a mall Irvin with a lighter fleece today in Edinburgh and thought it looked pretty good. I can only imagine how much better this version will look in real life, especially after it's been roughed up a bit.

If it wasn't for the waiting list, I don't think I'd be able to resist one myself now.

Heck, I have one of there older ones, an I am tempted!:smow:

Edward

Bartender
I wonder if Irwing would be acceptable.

Under UK Trade Mark law, likely not, if it came to court, though there is a precedent for this being an accepted compromise between TM law and historical accuracy in the industry: Aero themselves objected to the use of "Aero" on other makers' A2s. ELC still produces the contract, but they label it "ACRO", if memory serves, which Aero seem to be happy with.

Sounds like ALC are on the ball in terms of protecting their TM. I wish Aero was quicker off the mark with that on eBay - I hate running a search only to find at least half of the returns are non-Aero products with the "Aero" tag thrown into the subject line to manipulate the search returns.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like ALC are on the ball in terms of protecting their TM. I wish Aero was quicker off the mark with that on eBay - I hate running a search only to find at least half of the returns are non-Aero products with the "Aero" tag thrown into the subject line to manipulate the search returns.
I know this is not 'Key word spamming' but this must surly qualify as a little bit misleading;) Or at least purposely created to drag in the Aero searches anyway
It's your favourite pet hate Edward, am I right? Key word spamming that is.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aero-Adventures-Jacket-by-Alexander-Leather-FQHH-MOTO-ROADSTER-40-Horsehide-/111171602636?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&hash=item19e25808cc

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that Drifter guy haunted this place for a while. His ads were a lot more overt originally but I think Aero had a word with eBay about it. It's interesting that it's FQHH, as Horween have said they won't sell it to AL. [huh] I don't think DP's ebay ads do AL much of a service, really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24