Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Multi-Panel Irvin (pic heavy)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I realise that this probably should go in the Irvin repro's thread, but I thought it deserved to at least get its own thread to kick off, as it's pic heavy and I don't want to clutter up the original.
Anyway, I zipped over to Aero yesterday and picked up my new multi-panel Irvin, and it's a stunner IMHO. The chestnut colour was matched using a unworn hide sample from the inside pocket on a pair of flight trousers that matched the original multi-panel this one was based on. Bertie's done an amazing job replicating the panel work and the craftsmanship as a whole is brilliant, can't praise her enough
I followed Ken's advice and went for a standard size 38, the sleeve length will help keep my hands warm with the absence of any pockets!
Anyhoo, here's the pics. Getting them colour-accurate was tricky, but I've just about nailed it, though it looks shinier than it does in real life:

I went with Aero's standard Irvin zipper, partly for the sake of reliability, but also because the original on which it's based also has a squared off bottom, which is not a million miles away from it.
Looking forward to watching the mercury crash, and I can start wearing this baby out - Irvin knew what he was doing when he designed these things!:D

wdw

One Too Many
Very nice indeed and a great fit.

I like the panelling a lot and look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Edward

Bartender
Definitely looks much better in the cut than the older model (in terms of accuracy). I really like the colour of the fleece. There's also something about the late-war multi-panel designs that has always appealed to me. Now somebody needs to order one with the CC hood.... ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers! The tapes really frame the hide, don't they? And just for anyone wondering what the original looked like, here's that CLaD montage:

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I love it! I have been wanting one for so long now but can never afford it and they keep getting pricier!!

So If its a 38, whats your other Aero sizes? Im a 38 in Highwayman and Cheyenne but a 40 in 30´s halfbelt and CafeRacer.....what would you recommend for a similar fit...a 38?

And also, is that normal length? Its so perfect.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig, you really hit a home run with this one. :thumb: I wish the weather where I live would allow me to buy something like what you are wearing. I won't even be able to wear an A-2 for at least another month. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Cheers, Griff, I'm delighted with the way it's worked out size-wise. Of my Aeros, I'm a 36 in my LHB, a 38 in the russet A-2, a snug 36 in the seal A-2 and the DB is a roomy 38.
The dimensions on the Irvin are completely unadjusted so what you see is what you'd get. I'm in the office just now, but I'll measure the dimensions for you later, but for comparison I'm 5ft 9" with a 30" waist and I normally take a standard 36 in a suit. I would say the Irvin is quite trim fitting, in part down to the seams in the panels, but the original one is as well (I tried it on!).
Thanks, Fanch. One of the few benefits of watching the sun disappear below the horizon at 6.30pm is that we get to wear these great looking jackets.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's coated sheepskin, Winterland. I didn't take a pic with the collar fully buckled up, but the wind would need to be going some to find its way in when it is.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket... I love it... Not meaning to be a "nudge" but my sleeves are about THAT long! You don't find em annoying fully zipped? Mebbe it's me, or an Irvin thing or a cross the pond thing. But that's the only quibble I got, that hide is beyooootiful! And of course (grumble) you got the stature to make it look dashing. All you need is matching pants, boots, helmet and goggles and YOU'RE OFF!!!

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm cool with the sleeve length at the mo', partly because they'll wrinkle up a little with use, partly because it'll keep my hands warm, but also I have the option of just unzipping them slightly and flipping 'em back (I'll take a pic of them with this done later) - Ken and Bertie both said that this was a common practice, but Ken also said that there was no problem to have them shortened if later on I wanted to do this.

CBI

One Too Many
nice Irvin - congrats. I agree in re the sleeves though - a bit long IMO - however its GREAT that this can be adjusted. My one issue with buying an Irvin either original or repro is the sleeve length - my arms are short so I would need a custom size. With that though, they are non-returnable so I hate to risk it! Enjoy and wear in good health!!!!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If one looks at the B-6 and D-1 jackets, rolling up the sleeves was a very commnon practice. Nothing could be worse than having sleeves too short on a shearling jacket like yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21