Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero order wheeeeee

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
x Cafe racer in light oilpull size 41
x 2 breastpockets only
x 2-panel arms
x plain back with kidney panel
x 2 inside gunpockets
x +1" in arms
x standard length back, tapering to .5 - 1" longer front
x Berry cotton tartan in body
x black satin in arms
x white cotton drill as pocket lining

This was originally gonna be my summer caferacer in black midweight horsehide with checkered cotton drill in body and bloodred satin in arms.
I was so set on this look and really thought it was gonna be sucha beautiful and cool jacket.
But when I received the sample of the midweight hide I lost all interest. It was so flimsy and Im sure the pocket panels
will show through and its not gonna be nice. The hide also doesn't have any "memory" whatsoever when you fold it.
Even my Harley jacket is better.
If this wasn´t enough, the hide is also very fuzzy on the back and the oilpull hide is alot thinner altogether.
So the black might not be as cold as I want it to be, since it almost has its own lining in itself.

I cant go FQHH on this one because it has to be as cool as possible.

When Amanda said they have some left of the light oil pull and I saw the sample there was simply no turning back.
I really wanted a light black jacket since I have 2 brown jackets already but GAHH the oil pull hide is beautiful :D

So the black/red jacket with checkered lining will have to wait.

I´m not really sure about this tartan tho, but the lining in my other jackets is Alpaca, black cotton, mustard cotton
so I really want something new in this one and not another brown jacket with plain brown lining.
Another option is if the hide is thin enough to line it entirely in satin.
I don't think the checkered lining will go so well with the brown as it would have with the black....right?

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
Hi Griff - sounds like you'll get another luxury jacket ... yes... checkered black/white best with black leather - IMO.
Must be fun before jumping into the jacket take a look at the rrrrrrracing lining...roar . roar . roar . . .

I think that I read in a post from HD that the berry tartan lining was quite a bit thinner than the cotton drill.

I don't know about the 'berry tartan'...but I've had two Aero jackets with tartan lining that was very thin. Maybe Aeros thinnest lining(?). However there are different weights of tartan. Some thicker than others.
HD

too much coffee

Practically Family
Best of luck with the order Griff.............may the leather gods be looking over the shoulder of the talented worker who is building your jacket.

Looks like you have all the bases covered on the build sheet.

Best regards,
coffee

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Thanks.

Im gonna get a sample of the tartan. Its the only tartan they have in cotton instead of wool
Its this one:
321538235.jpg

I suspect its not gonna be as durable as the drill, but I dont think Aero sells anything that is really bad, so I´m thinking it will be alright.

FWIW, the Black Stewart Tartan wool is supposed to be non-itchy like cotton, but stronger material. That's what I decided on for my 50's HBD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner