Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Type III Jean Jacket - Fit advice needed

Say what you will, and I know it's entirely subjective but I still think this is the coolest fitting jacket Terry has. Pure cool!

marmalademan

Banned
It's funny to note that there are old men who wear their jackets as intended and look good in them. And then there are old men who wear their jackets like old men. I know I can't dodge aging, but man I hope I never end up in the "3 inches below my belt brigade" lol

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I’m actually a bit torn on the length of bott Janw and Terrys jackets. I think it looks really cool on them. But I don’t think I would feel comfortable with that length myself.
I have a type II denim jacket that is about that length, and I always hope that I’ll feel as cool as 60’s Mick Jagger in it. I usually end up feeling as cool as 80’s Mick Jagger instead:

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Reactions: MET

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's funny to note that there are old men who wear their jackets as intended and look good in them. And then there are old men who wear their jackets like old men. I know I can't dodge aging, but man I hope I never end up in the "3 inches below my belt brigade" lol

Kind of a snarky way of putting it. But I hear you. Our taste is bad. It is wrong and ugly. We are losers. And old. And no one will ever love us. You're probably right.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I think every style comes with a certain length that the designer had in mind with it, a supposed or intended fit. I find it odd when people want to wear that certain style of jacket but then completely remodel it and change the look of it by either adding or taking off body length and wear any jacket at the same bodylength of say 26" regardless of the jackets style. A Half-Belt is supposed to be shorter than a car coat and a CR is supposed to fit different than a Highwayman. If you don't like how a certain style is supposed to fit, I, personally, would pick a different style rather than tweaking around and ending up with an oddly long or short Frankenjacket.

The Type-III and for example the Perfecto Cross Zip are styles that are supposed to fit short imho, as by their design. Long Perfectos look odd to me, even if they fit perfectly. Same for the Type III. These styles are supposed to just reach your belt imho, not go three inches past it "reaching backpocket fit".

Last edited:
' Suppose to ' means nothing to me. That's why some of us with longer torsos and arms pick a jacket manufacturer who makes ' custom ' jackets to our measurements. Then there are those of us that want all of our jackets to completely cover our belts...but we don't wear jeans slung low which seems fashionable these days. ' Just reach your belt '? I don't have any denim or leather jackets fitting like that and I think mine look just fine. Thanks but no thanks to the little brother short look.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I think every style comes with a certain length that the designer had in mind with it, a supposed or intended fit. I find it odd when people want to wear that certain style of jacket but then completely remodel it and change the look of it by either adding or taking off body length and wear any jacket at the same bodylength of say 26" regardless of the jackets style. A Half-Belt is supposed to be shorter than a car coat and a CR is supposed to fit different than a Highwayman. If you don't like how a certain style is supposed to fit, I, personally, would pick a different style rather than tweaking around and ending up with an oddly long or short Frankenjacket.

The Type-III and for example the Perfecto Cross Zip are styles that are supposed to fit short imho, as by their design. Long Perfectos look odd to me, even if they fit perfectly. Same for the Type III. These styles are supposed to just reach your belt, not go three inches past it "reaching backpocket fit".

Well, the moment you typed 'imho' you gave the game away. Not facts but opinion expressed by you here and not so humbly at that. With respect - everything you say has a counter argument. And some of what you say is exaggerated and not applicable to the view perviously expressed by me (and possibly HD). No one is talking about turning a short jacket into a car coat. No one is arguing for a complete 'remodelling' of a jacket. That's misrepresentation imho.

There simply is no inviolable rule book about how a jacket must be manufactured and worn and any attempt to prescribe standards like this, no matter how amusing to read in its earnestness, is really just a form of clothing extremism. Sure, there are conventions in jacket wearing, some of these are dull and open to reinterpretation. Some less so. The notion that a jacket posted here may be 5 centimetres too short to our taste is within reason. And, if we don't like the look of a short jeans jacket exposing a guys' midriff like he is some kind of Miley Cyrus neophyte, well, sorry about that.

It is perfectly legitimate to buy a jeans jacket and have it cut below your belt line. No one is saying it should look like the sloppy piece of shit amusingly posted by Monitor. ton312 makes the best point in this argument - 'everyone has their own "just right" spot for lengths.' That is pretty much all there is to jacket buying.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Well, the moment you typed 'imho' you gave the game away.

Uhhhhh, ofcourse it is merely my opinion I post here, just as much as you do and everyone else. And I very intentionally typed imho, not to give the game away, but to point out that what I am posting is very subjective, because I did not mean to make my post sound like the ultimate truth, which apparently is what you accuse me of. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit irritated by how you first attack me for clearly marking my post as my subjecetive opinion and in the next sentence accuse me of claiming the ultimate truth in a clearly subjective matter. We are talking about fashion here, no more no less, ofcourse we have different opinions and taste in clothing. The users on this forum are from four or five different continents and there's a age gap of probably more than 50 years between the youngest and the oldest here. Would be strange if we all had the same opinion on clothing, wouldnt it be?

edit: and if you felt for some reason offended by what i posted, I can assure you I didn't mean to offend you nor was my post directly aimed at your previous statements, it was more of a general statement of the matter on tweaks to existing patterns.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think that it's possible (or necessary) to "win the argument" when it comes to ideal jacket length. While reading the different views posted above I find myself agreeing with both sides. For instance, I think Wade looks really cool in that photo while at the same time I also think the jacket is too small for him.

JJ is right on this.

J-24 is a perfect example of why you shouldn't mess with the design as no tailor nowadays seems to have even the slightest clue what to do with the D-pocket and where to place it in relation to the chest pocket, the belt loops and everything else. Which is why we have so many abominations, like the one from Gustin or Iron Fart. There are a few jackets on this forum I just can't fathom what was going on inside the tailors head when they were making it.

But yeah, these jackets were designed as such for a reason. They're the product of an era. People wore high waist jeans back then, same as they did in the 80's where the jackets were again super short.

I mean, watch The Wild One. Not a single leather jacket in that movie looks to be over 23" in back length.

People in the profession will tell you this as well. Go ahead and ask. "They're supposed to be short" is what you'll hear. Sure, they'll do 'em any way you want 'cause you're paying for it but I do believe me, they don't like it.

It's your jacket, do whatever you want with it but... The fact remains, there is a way these old jackets are supposed to be.

Edward

Bartender
But yeah, these jackets were designed as such for a reason. They're the product of an era. People wore high waist jeans back then, same as they did in the 80's where the jackets were again super short.

It's your jacket, do whatever you want with it but... The fact remains, there is a way these old jackets are supposed to be.

for me, this is the crux of it. We live in an era where these things are available, we can custom order to exactly what we want, and a lot of us round here are lucky enough to be able to afford to do that. When it comes to personal taste, there is no right and wrong. If your marker, however, is historical accuracy (which does matter to some, given the nature of TFL - albeit that the leather jacket end of things does attract a lot of attention from folks not otherwise interested in vintage or the vintage look), then there is an objective standard as to how these designs were all intended to look originally. It's interesting to observe how these things get longer over the years as trouser waists get ever lower. (though oddly waistcoats seem to be the one thing where this hasn't happened).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
JJ is right on this.

J-24 is a perfect example of why you shouldn't mess with the design as no tailor nowadays seems to have even the slightest clue what to do with the D-pocket and where to place it in relation to the chest pocket, the belt loops and everything else. Which is why we have so many abominations, like the one from Gustin or Iron Fart. There are a few jackets on this forum I just can't fathom what was going on inside the tailors head when they were making it.

I mean, watch The Wild One. Not a single leather jacket in that movie looks to be over 23" in back length.

People in the profession will tell you this as well. Go ahead and ask. "They're supposed to be short" is what you'll hear. Sure, they'll do 'em any way you want 'cause you're paying for it but I do believe me, they don't like it.

All I would say to that is that the Wild One was made at a point in time. It is not received wisdom.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Uhhhhh, ofcourse it is merely my opinion I post here, just as much as you do and everyone else. And I very intentionally typed imho, not to give the game away, but to point out that what I am posting is very subjective, because I did not mean to make my post sound like the ultimate truth, which apparently is what you accuse me of. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a bit irritated by how you first attack me for clearly marking my post as my subjecetive opinion and in the next sentence accuse me of claiming the ultimate truth in a clearly subjective matter. We are talking about fashion here, no more no less, ofcourse we have different opinions and taste in clothing. The users on this forum are from four or five different continents and there's a age gap of probably more than 50 years between the youngest and the oldest here. Would be strange if we all had the same opinion on clothing, wouldnt it be?

edit: and if you felt for some reason offended by what i posted, I can assure you I didn't mean to offend you nor was my post directly aimed at your previous statements, it was more of a general statement of the matter on tweaks to existing patterns.

I was simply providing you with the same thing you have provided here first. Robust opinion. You're irritated? It's not in my power to determine how you respond to people's posts. I certainly wasn't offended by your post. I thought we were both defending our opinion, nothing more.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
@Seb Lucas
A picture is worth a thousand words! Let's see a pic of how you think a type 3 is best worn. Perhaps this is how you'll win the argument

This isn't an argument to win but an opinion to defend. A subtle difference. Not a Type 3 but it's the general gist.

Jake.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy