Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Type III Jean Jacket - Fit advice needed

marmalademan

Banned
This isn't an argument to win but an opinion to defend. A subtle difference. Not a Type 3 but it's the general gist.

View attachment 113085

Yep, I do get the general gist don't worry. Which is that you couldn't find a pic of a longer type 3 looking good on someone and so we have this! Whatever it is. Granted, the guy doesn't look bad in it but it's not exactly cool is it? Do you think anyone here is aspiring to look like this guy? Looks very middle of the road to me, far too conservat for me to really like it

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yep, I do get the general gist don't worry. Which is that you couldn't find a pic of a longer type 3 looking good on someone and so we have this! Whatever it is. Granted, the guy doesn't look bad in it but it's not exactly cool is it? Do you think anyone here is aspiring to look like this guy? Looks very middle of the road to me, far too conservat for me to really like it

Hello Mr conservative, not exactly cool, middle of the road. :rolleyes: Sounds like all you've got to keep you warm is your sarcasm. I provided a length example, that's all. Who said anything about aspiring? I didn't look hard for an image I just remembered seeing this cool Filson/Levi trucker waxed cotton jacket - which a bunch of fellow loungers here really like and have posted about before and even own. I would have thought that arguing about the right length of a jacket is one thing. If you want to turn it into an semi-abusive rant about taste, that's a whole different thing.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
All I would say to that is that the Wild One was made at a point in time. It is not received wisdom.
It is a point in time, that serves as a target for a particular style. Styles can evolve of course.

It's worth understanding that movies don't always portray things as they were. In fact they frequently do not. They drove style as much, if not more, than they depicted it.

The Wild One was a depiction of a Hollywood costume designer's idea of what bikers dressed like, in a particular gang, in a particular place and time. This became glorified and emulated widely. But at the time, prior to the film being released, becoming popular, and becoming culturally significant, I'm willing to bet that styles were much more diverse among bikers. In fact, it's entirely believable to me that no one really dressed exactly like that until the movie came out. Probably a lot of people dressed somewhat like that, but only after did lots of people try to look exactly like that.

It all depends on what you are going after. Do you want to emulate the look of a classic Brando film? Do you want to be your own person? Do you want to do what works best for you? Are you trying to fit a specific period, which is really a specific memory formed about that period, and likely distorted through multiple retellings? Do you want a functional piece of gear? Or to make a statement of some kind?

Once again, I'm not saying you're supposed to like it but try to wrap your mind around the fact that you are on a forum dedicated to vintage clothing so for all intents and purposes, short, in fact, really IS the way these jackets ARE supposed to be.

The Wild One was a depiction of a Hollywood costume designer's idea of what bikers dressed like, in a particular gang, in a particular place and time. This became glorified and emulated widely. But at the time, prior to the film being released, becoming popular, and becoming culturally significant, I'm willing to bet that styles were much more diverse among bikers. In fact, it's entirely believable to me that no one really dressed exactly like that until the movie came out. Probably a lot of people dressed somewhat like that, but only after did lots of people try to look exactly like that.

Absolutely. In fact, the style seen in the movie has been thoroughly researched and apparently yeah, no one really dressed like that. The full set as seen in the movie, I mean. Bits and pieces of it were worn among bikers but the overall style is costume designers imagination. But what I was trying to illustrate by bringing up The Wild One was that regardless of the style, the jackets in the movie are short because that's how jackets were at the time and it was all the costume designer had to work with. There are a lot of examples of this in other movies, too.

Someone posted a bunch of photos from some 50's car show a while back and I was just amazed how short every single leather jacket on that photo was. Some seemed nearly too small for those guys wearing them but I doubt it anyone'd told them they're wearing their younger brothers jacket.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Once again, I'm not saying you're supposed to like it but try to wrap your mind around the fact that you are on a forum dedicated to vintage clothing so for all intents and purposes, short, in fact, really IS the way these jackets ARE supposed to be.

Absolutely. In fact, the style seen in the movie has been thoroughly researched and apparently yeah, no one really dressed like that. The full set as seen in the movie, I mean. Bits and pieces of it were worn among bikers but the overall style is costume designers imagination. But what I was trying to illustrate by bringing up The Wild One was that regardless of the style, the jackets in the movie are short because that's how jackets were at the time and it was all the costume designer had to work with. There are a lot of examples of this in other movies, too.

Someone posted a bunch of photos from some 50's car show a while back and I was just amazed how short every single leather jacket on that photo was. Some seemed nearly too small for those guys wearing them but I doubt it anyone'd told them they're wearing their younger brothers jacket.

I did get that. All I'm saying is, so what? We wear things the way we want them. Very few people here go full costume period correct. Most people will wear modern pants, shirts, sneakers, haircuts, whatever with their repo jackets. And most of those jackets are so much better made than ones from the period.

Instead of saying this is how the jackets are supposed to be I think it might be more accurate to say, this is how they were generally worn in the day. To which I would respond, it's 2018, my haircut, my shoes, my pants, my shirt are not period accurate and I prefer the longer look. :D For me the classical designs shown off on this site are to be seen as inspiration for your own thing, not a slavish instruction manual for living. But hey, I'm saying all this from a happy place. I am not remotely concerned by other peoples' choices. It's just that when a guy asks: do you think it's too long? I feel I can proudly offer my perspective and not be told to f-off. Like all of us. ;)

If I were recommending you turn a 1930's half-belt into a car coat, as some pilgrim suggested before, then people would have a right to be soundly irritated. But then again... if you can get away with it...

ok so we can't all agree on jacket lengths, fine. But when it comes to shorts...above or below the knee? Jorts?, cargos? Man capri's?!??
People... get your priorities together and get some goals. I've got mine:
IMG_9271.JPG

marmalademan

Banned
I won't be getting dragged in any further beyond this post.

At the end of the day, whilst everyone is entitled to one, all opinions are not equal. Some are informed, some plain ignorant, others deliberately contrarian etc etc

Type 3s when worn well are worn short. Yes, if you want to wear it long and loose you can and nobody can compel you to take on board sound sdvice, but you won't be wearing it well. Do as you please folks. If you want to look like a grandad then go ahead and dress like one! Maybe 'grandad chic' will be the next cool trend ...

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the mullet hairstyle would be back soon.:p the sign is everywhere even Farcry5

anyhow, I never tuck in my shirt and rarely wear belt, I don't get what you guys are debating about:D :eek: but I like my jacket longer than my pant's waist, because when the hem of the jacket stuck on my pants waist or belt, and I have to unstuck it every now and then it would get into my nerve real fast.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

At the end of the day, whilst everyone is entitled to one, all opinions are not equal. Some are informed, some plain ignorant, others deliberately contrarian etc etc

Type 3s when worn well are worn short. Yes, if you want to wear it long and loose you can and nobody can compel you to take on board sound sdvice, but you won't be wearing it well. Do as you please folks. If you want to look like a grandad then go ahead and dress like one! Maybe 'grandad chic' will be the next cool trend ...

Another nice bit of soft-core sarcastic abuse. Well done. How many put downs are there, I wonder? Won't "take on board sound advice" (1) , "ignorant" (2) , "plain ignorant" (3), "deliberately contrarian" (4) "grand dad" (5) "grand dad chic" (6). Six insults in eight sentences. You get the award for quickest to resort to insults when he isn't able to argue his point.

So from this Grandad, all I can say by way of signing off is, "Get off my lawn, Sonny. Shouldn't you be at school?"

the mullet hairstyle would be back soon.:p the sign is everywhere even Farcry5

anyhow, I never tuck in my shirt and rarely wear belt, I don't get what you guys are debating about:D :eek: but I like my jacket longer than my pant's waist, because when the hem of the jacket stuck on my pants waist or belt, and I have to unstuck it every now and then it would get into my nerve real fast.

Ha, now that’s funny. I like most of my jackets at my belt, and depending on the belt I have on, do have to get unstuck from time to time. Never thought about it until now, I hope you did not just inception me with a bad thought.

While I tend to agree that "Jean jackets" look best on the shorter (not above the belt!) side I certainly can't agree with the attempt at creating dogma via your opinion or labeling others who may have an opposing view to your own. That's not how it works around here.
This subject is so subjective it's ridiculous and labeling people who prefer a longer cut could easily be turned around on those who prefer shorter cuts. You can't claim that your opinion equates to wearing something well either (except perhaps for yourself). When I've owned very short jackets I've felt they look too feminine and they've quickly been sold off. A better strategy for supporting your point would be posting images that illustrate your position ( as Seb did).
Otherwise you just come off as a dick flailing around wildly with an opinion and nothing to support it.

Mich486

One Too Many
This is how the Type 3 made according to the original pattern (we got to trust Levi’s Vintage Clothing line here) is proposed on the Levi’s site:

6f694f1999b0e4e94dde052040dd47bd.jpg

Everybody than has his own taste in terms of length but the original pattern correctly sized apparently looks like that (the guy clearly isn’t wearing low waisted pants).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacoat

Bartender
I have this jacket from many years ago. It is bleached out and fits higher and tighter than the one pictured, but it still covers my belt and my wrists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy