Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Alexander Leathers Jacket ... I call it the "Adventurer" :)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Once again guys, focus on the jacket NOT the manufacturer please !

Soooo .... as many of you know I have been pulling together a bespoke-ish ( is there anything bespoke in leather jackets any more) designed jacket with Alexanders in Brown Vintage CT Horsehide. The basis of this is a simple halfbelt style with no chest pocket similar in cut to both JC's Ventura ( with less slope on the front) and Aero's old Californian ( with a neater less square cut). The collar slightly wider than JC's and more in keeping with the Aero Californian - very simple front no additional seams or panels. The back will be yolked and half bi-swing for flexibillity ( like the Aero HBD and Alexanders Drifter), straps on the cuffs because I like them and double lip pockets for the same reason.

The first choice to be faced was that of the zip ... now I dislike the vintage hookless zippers, I know they look really cool and oldy worldy .... but the fact is my experience of them is that they're just not very good, reliable or easy to use for a Brit ( albeit this is based on 70 year old originals) .... so I opted for a vintage brass Talon ... yes I lose out on the cool looking rivets and the old world hookless arrangement at the bottom but I get a zip which works and is in keeping with the rest of the jacket which is more 1940's rather than 1930's.

The next decision was more thorny ... to prong or not to prong ..... I'm talking of course about the side adjusters and the cuff straps. I love the d-ring adjustment on my Californian because it's so unique, but unless managed carefully can undo ... and I also like the pronged buckle adjusters on JC's Ventura but I'm not a fan of punching holes in the straps and the adjusters and while I know it's period correct-ish, I'm also not a fan of the bright nickel hardware as std. on either ( which is why I had vintage brass fitted to my Aero Californian).

So I've gone half way ..... NO PRONG on the cuffs and side adjusters and a vintage brass finish but with a roller buckle and not a bar buckle (i.e. not the simple buckle used on std side adjusters). The thinking is that if this proves too loose then I can always go to a pronged buckle but my plan is to double back the side adjusters and perhaps even the cuffs when I have them set if I need the fixing a little firmer than normal.

So what do you guys think ... I'm loving the colour and the way it's shaping up ... should fit pretty close to my Bison Detroit ( which I know is a little looser than most of you guys like .... but it's how I like my jackets). Lining will be the same tartan Ancient Gordon mid weight and with 3" moleskin bottom oh and 2 inside pockets.

Should be finished this week and here for the weekend perhaps ... at a little over £600 + P&P it's not bad IMHO ... more pics to follow when it arrives :D

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I think it's a very interesting project. I too like those straps for the sleeves.. but the rest of the prong dilemma I couldn't really follow! Sorry. Zips I am more confident about however, and I can tell you that the hookless zipper on my latest acquisition works like a charm, with no hassle whatsoever. That actually surprised me a bit, as when i tried one for the very first time at the aero factory this wasn't the case, but now no problem. In fact, I reckon I've 180ed on HZs as of right now since this one is so easy that until reading this reminded me, I had honestly forgotten I have one

Plumbline

One Too Many
Good to know Schizo ... I just never got on with the two I had ( albeit on old bike jackets)

Re. the prong thing .. the summary is this ... do you get a buckle like a belt buckle which needs holes in the strap to fasten ( pronged) ... a bar buckle ( like on an ANJ-4 ) where the strap goes in between a bar and this is tensioned by the return loop of the trap or do you go for a prongless buckle ( like what is used on the side adjusters on the Highwayman and Halfbelt Aero's ) either with a roller or without ( without being slightly firmer in holding the strap. Finally you could go for double D rings like on the Aero Californian.

I went for prongless with a roller ..... the other options ( all on my current jackets )

Bar Buckle ( Aero ANJ-4)

Prong Buckle ( Eastman ANJ-4)

Rollerless Prongless Buckle ( Aero Long Halfbelt)

Double D-Ring ( Aero Californian)

Plumbline

One Too Many
Dinerman ... GREAT pics .... and an amazing array and variations on the theme.

Agreed on the serrated "teeth" ... most of the prongless buckles I've seen on vintage jackets have had a serrated edge which makes them "firmer". I went for the roller prongless on the basis that it should be easier to "double back" the strap ... but if I find there's an issue then I'll have pronged buckles retrofitted.

Bunyo et al ... look at the side adjuster in the pic to see how the wrist strap will look when fully fastened.

Either way I'm enjoying the decision process ..... it's like being a kid in a sweet shop .... too many choices :D

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know what you're saying about the prongless buckles PL, though I haven't had any real problems with the ones on my halfbelt because I double the straps back through. The ones that I don't fancy are the D-rings. So my vote's for prongless. Either way, what a fun project! The jacket's gonna look way cool whatever way you go.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I have these weird ones on my Lewis Leather Dominator 551, they have never come undone once! Once done, they do not move.

DSC_3928_zpsf704f5bc.jpg

DSC_3929_zps4879c072.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
I spoke to Derek about these many moons ago and they seem to be proprietry to Lewis Leathers .... they are a great design though ..... but I could only find similar in nickel and as per the original post didn't want nickel hardware.

I think any prongless buckle which doubles back is fairly robust ... the roller buckles seem to be the worst and of course it depends upon the amount of stress on the strap ..... I have to admit I've never had any real problems with either my Aero's, Alexanders of any other prongless buckle but I know many who have .... so we shall see :D

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd be interested to see how this jacket ends up - good project. I'm sacred of sleeve straps. I had a jacket with them years back and I got them caught on a bunch of things including the car gear stick. But then I even get my side adjuster straps caught on doors, cupboards, even women's stockings, so maybe I'm just cursed. Good luck.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Sleeve cuff cinches are a nice design element if the rest of the jacket is not overly busy (piping, pocket flaps, 5,000 back pleats, etc etc)

Here's a cuff pic of JC's Ventura which is pretty much as good as it gets IMO

sleeve_cuff.jpg

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
It's arrived ( amazing turnaround by Alexanders .. and Edith makes a mean jacket ) .. I love it ( and I guess that's all that matters really ) but I thought you guys would like to see it :)

Straight out of the box it's a little stiff but should soften nicely with wear. Fit is probably not to all tastes on here but it is to mine, fits just how I want it to ... so I don't need fit comments thanks ..... style comments I'm happy to take ( remember this was dreamt up by me based on a number of jacket themes - JC Ventura, Aero Californian, Simmons Bilt Oakland, Levis 1940's bike jacket etc. etc. )

The object was to produce a nice simple but relatively plain FQHH jacket .... utilitarian enough to wear on the bike and simple enough to look good with trousers or jeans, boots, dress or casual shoes.

I'd welcome your thoughts ....

Plumbline

One Too Many
Not at all Bretron ... and the JC Ventura jacket is exquisite I agree ..... but I like my new one just as much :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters