Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Amelia Earhart Movie

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Hilary and stunt pilot ( Fleet16b)

Well, I guess now that the Movie Trailer is out , I can post pictures from when I was the Aerial Coordinator for the movie.
Here is a pic of Hilary Swank and I with my Vintage biplane which appears in the movie.
She showed up at the airport in full costume in order to get an "authentic feel" for her role as Amelia Earhart.
Once in the air, Hilary was quite comfortable and I let her fly he a/c for a while.
A very competent pilot . All together a fun evening of flying
Hillaryandstuntpilot003.jpg

FilmFedora

New in Town
Beautiful Shot

Was this your plane? What airport (doesn't look like Santa Monica), in Canada perhaps? Does the film end with her crashing into the ocean? Trailer sure looks great!

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
The shot was taken May of 2008 at Guelph Airpark , Guelph Ontario Canada.
My a/c is a 1940 Fleet Finch 16R. During the movie it was "dressed down" to look more like a 1930 Fleet Biplane.
I won't reveal the ending as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
Should be fun seeing me and my a/c on the "big screen"

Story

I'll Lock Up
LA TIMES : Amelia Earhart soared in style, too

Amelia Earhart was the pioneering female aviator who became the first woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean solo and the first woman to win the Distinguished Flying Cross. During her flight around the world in 1937, she disappeared over the Pacific Ocean while trying to reach Howland Island. Her disappearance remains one of the biggest mysteries of the 20th century.

Perhaps on a lesser scale of import but no less interest, Earhart was also a fashion innovator who made headlines for her comfortable flying gear -- men's tailored pants, leather jackets and scarfs. She even had a clothing line in the 1930s, and her influence on fashion can still be felt today.

Director Mira Nair's ("Salaam Bombay," "The Namesake") new biopic about the aviator, "Amelia," stars Hilary Swank and opens Oct. 23.

More at
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-amelia13-2009sep13,0,3651757.story

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Absolutely, A.E. definitely had an influence on womans fashion at the time.
While making the movie, we tried but it was virtually impossible to find anything but her clothing lines did exist.
She had her own line of womans clothes , accessories and womans aviation clothing( leather jackets , flight suits ,helmets etc.
Also her own luggage line which was continued long after she disappeared.
The luggage was and is still fairly easy to obtain.

Here is a challenge to all the vintage womans clothing collectors out there.
Try to find original Amelia Earhart brand clothing.
These items are as very rare and would be very valuable.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
SixSexSix

I remember wardrobe had many drawings and I assumed they were going to make the outfits by looking at pics of A.E.
As for borrowing from collections, I am not sure but will try to find out.
I am currently on another movie and some of the Amelia wardrobe people are working it also.
It may take a week or so but I will get you an answer.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
texasgirl said:
A few pictures:

rrlceq.jpg

25z2jgg.jpg

14waqeg.jpg

2rcbtkz.jpg

Hi Tex

FYI I have the identical leather flight jacket that Hilary is wearing as I was to do some of her stunt flying for her.
It was manufactured by Belstaff exclusively for the movie.
It is a size 42, a little tight on me and buttons are womans configuration.
Once the movie comes out, I may offer it for sale. If Hilary wins an Oscar :eusa_clap ? , then definitely it will be for sale:D
I may offer it to the Forum members before it goes on Ebay
( also have a leather flying helmet and goggles but my wife has been using it while we fly in my biplane

sixsexsix

Practically Family
fleet16b said:
SixSexSix

I remember wardrobe had many drawings and I assumed they were going to make the outfits by looking at pics of A.E.
I am currently on another movie and some of the Amelia wardrobe people are working it also.

texasgirl

One Too Many
fleet16b said:
Hi Tex

FYI I have the identical leather flight jacket that Hilary is wearing as I was to do some of her stunt flying for her.
Once the movie comes out, I may offer it for sale. If Hilary wins an Oscar :eusa_clap ? , then definitely it will be for sale:D
( also have a leather flying helmet and goggles but my wife has been using it while we fly in my biplane

How cool! Thanks for the info :)

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
fleet16b said:
SixSexSix

SixSexSix

Talked to my source and we did use items from his collection.
FYI , apparently he is selling off some of his collection currently.

Scotus

One of the Regulars
I've now been seeing trailers for this, so I'm really looking forward to it. They could have done something more "period looking" with Richard's hair, IMHO. He just always looks the same in so many movies. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see this.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
Scotus said:
I've now been seeing trailers for this, so I'm really looking forward to it. They could have done something more "period looking" with Richard's hair, IMHO. He just always looks the same in so many movies. Nevertheless, I can't wait to see this.

.....I saw the trailer for it couple of days ago along one for the new Coco Chanel. Both looked like fashionista feasts so I'll go and see both of them.

Lorena B

Practically Family
fleet16b said:
Hi Tex

I must say, i cant wait to watch it, it looks very neat!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy