Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Amelia Earhart Movie

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Yes I too have read many reviews so far and most have been bad.
Must admit after having been a part of it's creation, I am a little discouraged.
We are going to go see it Sat night and form our own opinions. I give a review when I get home.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Come on now, it's gotten some good reviews too. I'm definitely going to see it. Besides, I can't tell you how many movies that have gotten bad reviews, that I loved!

Scotus

One of the Regulars
This is a wonderful movie. Since I go to a lot of movies, I've learned a long, long time ago not to listen to the critics. I don't think many of them "get it."

Swank is GREAT as Amelia. For one thing, she looks and acts just like her, and Richard Gere does a good job in the role of Putman. Ewan McGregor is excellent as Gene Vidal, and Dr. Who fans will recognize Amelia's navigator, Christopher Eccleston.

The music, the costumes, the cinemetography, the story... it's all very well done. Very sad at the end, of course.

I do recommend that Lounge forum members see this movie. If for nothing else, you'll appreciate the cloths.

hilary-swank-no-eyebrows-01.jpg

Loved it!

My Father treated me to a matinee of this film yesterday, and I loved it!

Yes, costuming and in fact all the period re-creation is excellent, but so is the story. And Hilary swank just is Amelia. I really enjoyed the story telling and got a real sense of the whole spirit of everything. I felt it all seemed quite natural and real. While portraying an iconic personality it was very down to earth as well as soaring in the skies.

Definitely worth seeing. And seeing again!

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Went to see it tonight and I am not sure what to think.
As Aerial Coordinator I know how much flying footage was shot.
IMHO the footage they used was pretty good but there was some really good stuff that was cut.
A few inaccuracies but only an aviation buff would catch them.
I guess all in all it was pretty good but it is hard to form an opinion when one has worked on a film because I kept focussing on the way things were made instead of the story.
Hope most of the viewers enjoy the film.

ViennaMimi

New in Town
I though the acting was wonderful. The costumes - gorgeous. But..

When the movie was over I was left wanting more.

Maybe I was expecting too much? I was very interested in Amelia as a little girl and I remember reading book after book about what she had to endure to be able to fly.

The romance(s) between the characters were interesting but I was expecting to see a film about her struggle to be taken seriously. I thought we would see her cutting her hair short,and wearing her leather jacket to bed to make it look worn. I expected to see her giving a piece of her mind to someone who told her she couldn't fly.

Maybe when I see it again, I'll feel differently.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Mixed bag (fer shure)...

POSITIVES:
  • Great costumes (especially Swank's).
  • Great hats (if not all period correct).
  • The Electra is marvelous.
  • Aerial footage was pretty good.
  • Swank nails Earhart.
  • Gere looks great for an old fart.
NEGATIVES:
  • No real story at all. (Like a documentary.)
  • The time jumps were disorienting (at best).
  • Main character *chemistry* was off. (Some of it made my skin crawl.)
  • Cinematography looked *grainy* throughout.
  • Score was highly forgettable.
  • Screenplay was uninspired.
  • Direction was second-rate.
Am I glad I saw it in the theater? Yes. Would I recommend it to a friend? No.

TWO STARS

C

csmiller

Amelia never made it here either

Hi all,

Guess I will have to wait to see it as the movie isn't playing here at all. :( It will probably make it here eventually.

Craig

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Scotus said:
Swank is GREAT as Amelia. For one thing, she looks and acts just like her, and Richard Gere does a good job in the role of Putman. Ewan McGregor is excellent as Gene Vidal, and Dr. Who fans will recognize Amelia's navigator, Christopher Eccleston.

I don't usually like Hilary Swank (as an actress). I can't pinpoint it - something about her puts me off. But I love Gere, McGregor, and Eccleston. (Although, if it has to be a former Doctor, I would much prefer David Tennant! <3)

The previews concern me a bit - The story seems to be more focused on romance than history, like ViennaMimi says. Perhaps I will see it, though, just for the costumes and Electra :)

Story

I'll Lock Up
Wally Earhart of Carson City, the fourth cousin of Amelia Earhart, says the U.S. government continues to perpetrate a “massive coverup” about her mysterious disappearance in the Pacific 72 years ago.

Because of the current surge in interest about the pilot's fate spurred by the recent release of the film “Amelia,” starring Richard Gere and Hilary Swank, it is time the American public “know the truth about Amelia's last days,” said Earhart, who will portray Abraham Lincoln as grand marshal of the Nevada Day parade today.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20091031/NEWS/910319978/1001/NONE&parentprofile=1058

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
Story said:
Wally Earhart of Carson City, the fourth cousin of Amelia Earhart, says the U.S. government continues to perpetrate a “massive coverup” about her mysterious disappearance in the Pacific 72 years ago.

Because of the current surge in interest about the pilot's fate spurred by the recent release of the film “Amelia,” starring Richard Gere and Hilary Swank, it is time the American public “know the truth about Amelia's last days,” said Earhart, who will portray Abraham Lincoln as grand marshal of the Nevada Day parade today.

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20091031/NEWS/910319978/1001/NONE&parentprofile=1058

Ahhhh YA Right Ok

Sounds like someone is trying to get their name in the papers while the subject is hot again.

Ofcourse the other theory is that she made it home and assumed the identity of a New Jersy housewife.:p
She bore a son and then he grew up to be the second gunman on the grassy Knoll lol
Gotta love conspiracy theoriests

Story

I'll Lock Up
fleet16b said:
Ahhhh YA Right Ok

Sounds like someone is trying to get their name in the papers while the subject is hot again.

Ofcourse the other theory is that she made it home and assumed the identity of a New Jersy housewife.:p

:D

Unless.... you're part of the coverup. Keep your hands where we can see them, mmkay?

Berlin

Practically Family
I'm excited about this film for a long time! I really want to see it.
I love planes (Always wanted to be a pilot in the militairy myself), the story and I love it that Ewan McGregor has a role in it :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
I finally got to see this. I thought is very really great. Hilary just became Amelia, which was no surprise. I thought the realtionship with Putnam was interesting as well as Vidal. The costumes alone are a reason to go. It was just a really good biography. The only thing I would have liked was if they had gone back to her childhood a bit, to maybe see how she became such an interesting lady.

Story

I'll Lock Up
In September 1932, an airplane set off from Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, N.Y., attempting a nonstop flight to Rome.

Four months before, Amelia Earhart had become the first woman - and only the second pilot after Charles Lindbergh in 1927 - to fly solo across the Atlantic.

The September flight carried a pilot, a physician, and a nurse. A 1932 Associated Press report stated that the fourth passenger on the doomed flight was a woodchuck.

All were lost at sea.

The nurse had replaced Ida Mae Hampton of Northfield, N.J., near Atlantic City, who had declined an invitation to copilot what newspapers at the time called the "American Nurse" flight.

On Oct. 10, Ida Mae Hampton Wassell, 99, died of dementia at the Hebrew Home at Riverdale in New York City.

On Sept. 18, 1932, the Sunday after the Wednesday that the American Nurse flight failed to arrive in Rome, the Atlantic City Press reported on its front page why Ida Mae Hampton had turned down the invitation to copilot.

"As far as I can see, flying across the ocean offers no more opportunity for scientific research than does flying over land," she told the newspaper. "I think cross-country flights are fine and should be encouraged. But I do not believe in spectacular ocean flights."

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/obit..._aviatrix_dodged_a_doomed_flight_in_1932.html

20091108_inq_o-jwassell08-a.JPG

Ida Mae Hampton Wassell rejected the transatlantic trip because she favored scientific research over "spectacular ocean flights."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran