Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Book--Major Dick Winters

VintageJess

One of the Regulars

Vanessa

One Too Many
I was planning on picking this up sometime this week. The review posted by Publishers Weekly was interesting to me.
In the last, sluggish chapters, Winters devotes an excessive amount of time to letters he has received and to expositions on leadership. Winters is too humble for a genre that requires a little bit of conceit.

That's exactly one of the reasons why I was interested in reading this book - his modesty about the war exploits.

Feraud

Bartender
After reading Band of Brothers I felt Winters is an interesting person and worth reading more about.
I just bought the book and am planning on reading it after I finish Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Interesting, I'll have to pick up that one as well. Caught my attention in the afterward (of the Ambrose book) that described everyone's post-war careers - his specifically because of his mysterious death.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Vanessa said:
Interesting, I'll have to pick up that one as well. Caught my attention in the afterward (of the Ambrose book) that described everyone's post-war careers - his specifically because of his mysterious death.

Yes, Webster mysteriously disappeared. I wonder if this was a Hemingway-esque suicide...
Regardless, I like his book & you can see how much it influenced Ambrose. A real shame that it was rejected so many times by publishers looking for sensationalized war stories.

Sharpsburg

One of the Regulars
Sadly, Major Winters passed away today just short of his 93rd birthday. Thank you all you did and were Major! Soft Landing!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Dick Winters, WWII hero chronicled in ‘Band of Brothers,’ dies
Richard "Dick" Winters, a highly decorated World War II hero who became a household name when his heroics were chronicled in a Stephen Ambrose book that later became the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," has died. He was 92.

AP020922119506.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...wwii-hero-chronicled-in-band-of-brothers-dies

A sad day indeed. Another honored veteran of that era gone. May Major Winters get his fully earned rest.

Cheers.

Dan

csmiller

New in Town
Major Dick Winters

Actually, CNN reports that he died on Jan2 then buried on Jan8, this info is dated Jan10. Not sure why it took so long for his death to be announced?

I wonder if they will keep up the campaign to get his the Medal of Honor?

From what I read, it was in keeping with his wishes. He wanted a simple, private ceremony. If word had gotten out, I bet that this would not have been possible. I would imagine that the press would have descended on the town.

Craig

scooter

Practically Family
I watched an interview in which Maj. Winters spoke of his grandson learning he had been in the war. The grandson asked if he had been a hero. The Major's reply, "No, but I served with some." If only we could all demonstrate the class and humility of this fine man.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Oldest living member of 'Band of Brothers' dies

Another "Brother" is gone from Easy Company. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41210188/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

OMAHA, Neb. — A member of the "Band of Brothers" who fought in some of World War II's fiercest European battles, Ed Mauser shunned the limelight and kept his service with the Army unit a secret, even from some of his family.
His role came to light only after his brother-in-law got him a copy of the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," said Terry Zahn, who met Mauser during a 2009 Honor Flight trip to Washington, D.C., to see the World War II memorial. Mauser, who died Friday, told his family that some of the things in the miniseries, like the locations of buildings, weren't quite what he remembered from being there in person.
But before that, "he never talked about it for years and years and years," said Zahn, president of the Midwest chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association.
Mauser, 94, was the oldest living member of Easy Company, which is often better known now as the "Band of Brothers."
110122-mauser-hmed-1p.grid-6x2.jpg

Cheers.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy