Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Buzz Rickson Tanker Brad Pitt Fury

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Quick update: just back from the film, it's fine: looks great, exciting in parts, harrowing in others. Pitt's good - has a lot of Private Ryan about it - not least the fact that it runs pretty long at 2hrs plus. It suffers the usual problems of war films: the rather 'by-rote' final act; the subsidiary roles have one defining characteristic ('the redneck one', 'the religious one', 'the Mexican one') and I'm a bit iffy about what the film seems to be suggesting in some of the scenes. Wouldn't discourage anyone from seeing it, though.

wdw

One Too Many
I was in New York last week and passed a cinema on Broadway with what it claimed was the orginal clothes as worn by Brad et al in a window display. I took quite a few pics, but the reflection on the glass pretty much ruined the detail.

The clothes looked good though, especially Brad's knee-high boots.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yep, the outfits look good, the tanker jacket's are the stars, though obviously for the film, they're pretty much appear to have soaked in oil and mud. :D

Stand By

One Too Many
I saw the film yesterday and was hugely entertained by it - it's a 5-star movie IMHO and as Sloan says, Brad is great in it. And the gear is spot-on.
The only thing I would say about it is that it should really be seen in a cinema - it's presented in the new "Dolby Atmos" - which to lots of people would just mean "Dolby LOUD" but when the .50 Cals are hammering and the shells are landing and the tank engines are starting up, I could actually feel my hair vibrating!!! I have a great home cinema, but I'd never get that experience.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I saw the film yesterday and was hugely entertained by it - it's a 5-star movie IMHO and as Sloan says, Brad is great in it. And the gear is spot-on.
The only thing I would say about it is that it should really be seen in a cinema - it's presented in the new "Dolby Atmos" - which to lots of people would just mean "Dolby LOUD" but when the .50 Cals are hammering and the shells are landing and the tank engines are starting up, I could actually feel my hair vibrating!!! I have a great home cinema, but I'd never get that experience.
That's why I don't watch films at the cinema anymore - got enough hearing damage already, thanks! But I'm glad (and a little surprised) this movie is good since Hollywood hits and misses. This should help Buzz and WWII Impressions sell lots of jackets. Now we need a nylon movie... and not by John Waters.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fury will lose something outside the cinema, definitely. Oddly, another current film that works better on the big screen than little is the Hendrix biopic.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Looking forward to seeing it although due to ill-health will have to wait for dvd. I got my 1st pattern tanker from ww2 Impressions last week, held up in UK customs and hit with duty as seems to be the norm these days, but is a very well-made jacket and having previously owned BR tankers it is easily as good. I also see that SOF have 1st pattern tankers badged up as Pitt's same as the BR one but much cheaper....http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/fury-1st-pattern-tankers-jacket-badged-as-brad-pitts-product,16496 Am thinking of getting one and weathering/ageing it as they do for the films, I have tried that before with M42 Para suits and sold them on, really pleased with the results.

Edward

Bartender
Fury will lose something outside the cinema, definitely. Oddly, another current film that works better on the big screen than little is the Hendrix biopic.

I'm looking forward to seeing both. When's the Hendrix one due out? Is that the one with Andre 3000 that they were making without using Hendrix's music?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's very much a Brit film: it revolves around JH's first year in London 66-67, rather than the stretch of his life - it's pretty impressionistic and fragmentary, flitting back and forth in the narrative, but it does a decent job of evoking that era without descending into Austin Powers levels of teeth aching grooviness.
It captures the way Hendrix transfixes people with his talent, but is also good on his complex relationship with his own music. The scenes with Clapton and playing in front of The Beatles are particularly great, and Andre Benjamin is a very good Jimi - he gets that sleepy, shy charm you see in old interviews (though I'm pretty sure JH was never as ripped as Andre) and Imogen Poots is a dead ringer for posh model Linda Keith.
The film's run in to trouble over the way it portrays JH's relationship with his girlfriend Kathy Etchingham as a violent: she insists he was never abusive to her, and his estate are furious with this which is the reason the film has none his own music. But it gets around this problem with a musical slight of hand and it does force them to focus on Hendrix the man rather than just his stage persona.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, but it was a small diversion on a thread relating to that film - as if that never happens around here - so hardly a derailing the discussion and I would say that it's as well tying the two together. Also having seen the film, they manage to make the tanker jacket look very cool and I do quite fancy one myself now, so BR are probably doing a brisk trade in them already.

Edward

Bartender
It's very much a Brit film: it revolves around JH's first year in London 66-67, rather than the stretch of his life - it's pretty impressionistic and fragmentary, flitting back and forth in the narrative, but it does a decent job of evoking that era without descending into Austin Powers levels of teeth aching grooviness.
It captures the way Hendrix transfixes people with his talent, but is also good on his complex relationship with his own music. The scenes with Clapton and playing in front of The Beatles are particularly great, and Andre Benjamin is a very good Jimi - he gets that sleepy, shy charm you see in old interviews (though I'm pretty sure JH was never as ripped as Andre) and Imogen Poots is a dead ringer for posh model Linda Keith.

Certainly in the stills I've seen he really looksl ike Hendrix, which is as much in the body language as anything - that certain shyness, as you note.

The film's run in to trouble over the way it portrays JH's relationship with his girlfriend Kathy Etchingham as a violent: she insists he was never abusive to her, and his estate are furious with this which is the reason the film has none his own music.

I can imagine they are! Not much they can really do about it, though (other than pull the music.... probably not a smart move, given the nature of the piece...). I'm sure, though, if the folks currently running the Hendrix business are anything like they arepopularly believed to be, they'll find some way around it if it's possible. Historical people are usually reasonably fair game under our Anglo-American legal systems though...

if memory serves, US law is on the same page as libel law over here insofar as a libel suit cannot be filed in the name of protecting a dead person's reputation. Be interesting if KE had a go at it, though (I'm hearing rusty echoes in my mind of Youssoupof v MGM...).

But it gets around this problem with a musical slight of hand and it does force them to focus on Hendrix the man rather than just his stage persona.

...which is the much more intersting part, yes. I'd love to see a good biopic which dealt with that across his career (not least the political significance of his work and the conflcited feeling he had around the various causes to which his support was co-opted). I'm sure I remember there being plans for another film some time...

Yes, but it was a small diversion on a thread relating to that film - as if that never happens around here - so hardly a derailing the discussion and I would say that it's as well tying the two together. Also having seen the film, they manage to make the tanker jacket look very cool and I do quite fancy one myself now, so BR are probably doing a brisk trade in them already.

Tankers are nice jackets, and it's not hard to find cheaper options that are nice for kickabout wear, sort of jacket that's unlikely to attract sticky fingers the way a nice leather might in suituations you have to leave a jacket unattended. I have one hanging in the office I bought three years ago... it's a Spearhead / Barry Lyndon vis eBay, though mine is the Travis Bickle version, with the quilted civilian lining and such. Over the Winter I must get myself in gear to stencil the 'Bickle T' on the back in time for the Spring...

archbury918

One of the Regulars
Turned out well! maybe a second job in costumes in the offing?;) For me, I just couldn't help from keeping mine spotless...guess it's my military training kicking in..

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I do like those tanker jackets.
Just watched 'Patton' again. I'd love to get a 2nd Armored Div patched one.
But I just got too many leather jackets to justify it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo