Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Champ in 7 5/8: A Story + What's your guess on the age?

MattJH

One Too Many
So, I stumbled upon a post in the Classifieds here pointing to a Craigslist entry selling a Champ w/hatbox in 7 5/8. Just my size, and in a price range I can afford right now, so it's on its way.

I don't know too much about the Champ brand other than what I've read here. Most believe Champ Hats were a post-WWII brand. Username 'jamespowers' has the earliest known Champ advertisement here dated at 1946, and another user has one from 1951 with a price tag of $7.50. Guy Williams of Zorro did Champ advertisements. Our very own 'besdor' says "Miller Bros were distributors during the 1960's and eventually were merged with Hatco. Champ Hats were also part of Hat Corporation towards the 1960's when they absorbed all of the big brands . They eventually merged with Stetson in the early 1970's."

Here is what the seller told me about the history of this hat:

"Just as a bit of information, the hat belonged to my father who was born in 1913 and died in the 1980's. It sat high on an almost unreachable shelf in a closet in his house in Cleveland for as long as I can remember. I never remember seeing him wear it ever, but, for some reason, when he died, it suddenly took on significant sentimental value to me. I took it home and it has been sitting on a closet shelf at my house for 20-some years now. My husband and I are retired, our children are grown and gone, and we're trying to 'downsize', so it's time to give up some of the 'treasures of the past' that we have been hoarding. Whatever purpose you have for the fedora, I hope it brings you enjoyment."

Finally, the price tag on this hat, which is still intact and sitting behind the sweatband as photographed below, is $9.95 per the seller.

Considering the price, the ribbon, the welted brim, the wind cord, and the visual dimensions, what's your best guess on the date of this hat? And, while we're at it, brim width? It looks like 2 1/8" if I'm making a blind guess. I'll know when it arrives later this week! This is a good find, I'm happy about it, and I'd like to thank username 'Cigarband' for posting it in the Classifieds.

champ1.jpg

champ2.jpg

champ3.jpg

champ4.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Based on price alone, I'd guess it's a mid- to late-50s hat. I have a number of 40s ads for Champ. Like Adam, Champ made a big point of advertising their hat at $7.50 and asking consumers to compare the 7.50 hat to a $10 one.

The only ad I have that shows a price of more than $7.50 on a Champ was posted by RBH.
asdbs4.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Matt...that looks like a beautiful hat. From what I've read, Champs are really nice. It looks like a piece of history that was suspended in time on a closet shelf ...Enjoy this lucky find!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I'd love to find a Marathon for 6 bucks...

carter

I'll Lock Up
When Pigs Fly!

Colby Jack said:
Matt...that looks like a beautiful hat. From what I've read, Champs are really nice. It looks like a piece of history that was suspended in time on a closet shelf ...Enjoy this lucky find!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I'd love to find a Marathon for 6 bucks...
I'd love to find anything in 7 1/2 or 7 5/8 for 6 bucks.

Nice one, Matt. But... that looks a bit stingy for you. The brim, not the price.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
MattJH,

What has been your experience with that hat? I think I just bought its twin, but in brown. Another back-of-the-closet grandpa special, according to the owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails