Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New guy chiming in - with question

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
Hello all!

I've been lurking for a while, trying to soak in the info and vibe of the place. I must say, I really like it. You're a really nice group - I'm sure I'd enjoy meeting you. At least the ones who have posted/responded!

But, enough idle flattery...
I live on Long Island (NY), and have been itching to get a nice vintage hat. I've always been a fan of the fedora (my name for the style of hat - I'm sure I'm wrong, but I'll promise to learn as I go). In high school, back in '78, I wore my grandfather's fedora during our production of "Guys & Dolls". And since then, I've wanted to get one. But never had the chance, money or guts. But now, I think I want to do it. I'm usually the "odd" one in the group - dress a little differently (I like to think more "stylishly"), broader musical tastes, etc.

I've seen here a lot of places recommended online. But I really want to take my time - see, feel, try on a hat or seven. Really decide what I want before I buy. So... Where to go? It seems like a trip into NYC to Worth & Worth is the thing to do. Is there anywhere on Long Island that I could go? My googling has not lead to much.

Thanks! And I look foward to your responses.

-Dave (aka Obscure Reference Man)

-----------
(Clever sig to follow...)

Wild Root

Gone Home
If your looking for a vintage fedora (And yes, you are right, that's what they're called) You may like to try you hand at eBay. I have found some very nice hats on eBay. Also try and find any vintage clothing shops in your area to see what they may have. Thrift shops have been known to have some good pickings. Vintage hats are my 1# choice for quality, style and getting that real good old fashioned feel! Nothing like wearing history!

Any way, all the best luck in your findings! And welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

Root.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
All have given good advice. You might go the cheapest route first and pick up something off of ebay, as Root suggested. No issue around here with slumming it a bit! :)

If you're near NYC, why don't you contact Douglas from the SBS. He has 501 hats, and can give you adiice on where to go to try some on to see what you like.

G

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Welome abaord! Have you considered trying antique and vintage clothing stores? There's got to be something good in your neck of the woods. If anything, that will give you a chance to try on hats to see what you like and don't like. Sure, a hat can look good online, but if you don't know if it looks good on you without having had a prior frame of reference, then you've got the pain of trying to return the hat if you don't like it, or having to hang onto something you're not happy with. Good luck!

bink

Psykik

New in Town
Greetings and welcome to the Lounge.
I am a new member too, and also live on Long Island, NY (Long Beach).

I have worn fedoras for years, but have taken a more keen interest in the hats beyond pure utility. I recently won two hats on eBay. They looked good, and given the low cost, they are an easy risk. The worst I can do is learn from my mistakes and be out a few bucks.

There are orthodox Jewish communities in the area (namely the Five Towns area), so I thought that I might find hat shops. I haven't combed the streets, but a search of the phone directory did not reveal anything. I went to a thrift shop in that area, but what I found were six things that must have been hats at one time. Four were woven wool winter hats, one was almost fedora shaped but seemed like it was made from heavily shellacked cloth and the other one I was afraid to approach. I guess that with thrift shops, it is a matter of timing...this week, my timing was WAY off.

I haven't checked out any vintage clothing shops just yet. With a 2 year old at home, my time after work is seldom mine.

I have a hat that needs some cleaning and refreshing. If you are looking for someone on Long Island to do that, you may be out of luck. Given my search and consulting with some online hat proprietors, it seems as if you would need to travel into midtown Manhattan or Borough Park Brooklyn to find a real shop.

Good luck and let us know how your search is going. If I come up with anything on Long Island, I will share the wealth!

Rob

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Another NYC hatter worth checking out is Arnold Hatters, who were directly across from the Port Authority on 8th Avenue for many years, and recently moved a few blocks down the street:

http://www.ahat.com/index.htm

I was thinking of them because there was recently a little human-interest story about them in the NY Times which was primarily about - you guessed it! - how hard it is for hatters to stay in business nowadays.

I bought one of their "Raider" model fedoras from their old store back in the late eighties (when their sign said "Scott Hatters"), and though it's a bit small on me and beat-up now, I still often wear it instead of my newer/nicer hats as my "hiking fedora" - for those times when I don't want to worry about my hat getting blown off and disappearing over the cliff!

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
Welcome aboard, Doc!

I'm a newbie on here myself, but from what I've been reading, having a naturally 'beat-up' Raider hat is kind of a status symbol on here ;)

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
Wow! Thanks, everyone, for all the info! I will definitely check out JJ and Arnold Hatters. Maybe take a day off to go hat shopping in NYC...

gcollins - Douglas from SBS? What's SBS? Do you have a web site, or phone number?

Jack Scorpion - Grampa died many years ago. I'll have to ask my brother if he knows where the hat is. I would love to find it. Carrying on (or wearing) a "family legacy" would be great!

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
Thanks Matt...It is a light gray Stratoliner. I have several, but this one is unique in that it has a champagne liner and a whip stitched leather so it is packable.

Chas

Psykik

New in Town
I got my first "eBay" hat today...a short brimmed Champ in awesome condition. I never wore such a narrow brim, but it looks really good. I was so glad that I had to go out tonight so I could get some time under the brim!

Rob

Psykik

New in Town
Will do!
I had a meeting in Manhattan today, so I was dressed in my suit, tie, long coat and the new hat...looked pretty nice. Because it is a shorter brim than I ever wore before, my wife initially concluded that the hat was too small. Even a day (and two wearings) later, it doesn't seem as out of place as she initially felt.

Be well,
Rob

ObscureRefMan said:
Cool Psykik! You'll have to post a pic. I'm planning on shooting one of myself - just have to decide which hat looks best. No fedora, so...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy