Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New highwayman

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just received this new Aero Highwayman from Scotland yesterday. Amanda was extremely helpful and patient in resolving questions regarding sizing. The jacket is a size 44 with a back length of 26" and sleeve length of 26" (collar seam to end of cuff). I am almost 6'2" but "high waisted" (long legs) and wear a size 16X36 to 16.6X37 shirt. Amanda said that my best fit would probably have been a back length of 27" and sleeve length of 27" although this stock jacket that she sent is pretty darn close. Another 1" in the sleeves would have produced a perfect fit. Anyhow, I am providing this information in hope that someone similar in build might be helped. I apologize for the self portrait with my IPhone camera, but any port in a storm.

9ea6c7fb.jpg

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Well fit is a personal thing as far as how each individual want's their jacket to fit. But it looks to me like a perfect fit, great looking jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Pushrod, you are quite correct regarding personal preference regarding jacket fit. If I were still riding "scooters" I would probably want 28" sleeves. I wish that I still owned the '49 Indian Arrow that I owned as a kid growing up. Below is a size 46 Highwayman with 27" sleeves and 28" length that I owned a couple of years ago but gave to my son who is 6'5" and 240 pounds. It fits him perfectly but I am swimming in the jacket.

2012-06-12174738.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I believe in your prior user name you told about giving the jacket to your son. I remember that, but I can't remember your prior name. If it wasn't you it was someone else with the same fact situation. I will think long and hard and see if I can retrieve your name from the recesses of my memory. At any rate, welcome back under your new name. PC.

D

Deleted member 16736

Congrats on the jacket. I am indeed the same size you are. What type of leather is that? FQHH? It looks different, but it could just be the lighting.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
In my opinion, the jacket seems to fit well. It's hard to tell without seeing it zipped, however. The shoulders look roomy enough and the length looks fine. Some like longer sleeves. Personally, I think the sleeves on your jacket look fine.

Any longer in the front, and it would rival Aero's longer cut jackets. The front seems maybe just a tad long for a highwayman, but not in a bad way.

schitzo

Suspended
Hi I am a smidge under 6, 2" myself and yesterday after a 6 (SIX) year quest and god knows how many jackets (all aero) I finally got my hands on one that fits perfectly. I'll post pictures of it on a new thread ether today or tomorrow. Anyway, the funny thing is this one was actually custom made for somebody else, and he was 6,4. It's a 50s halfbelt in brown FQHH and the back length on that is 27.5 which I consider for my requirements to be bang on the money. Sleeves are 28" which I worried would be a little too long but actually those are ideal also. If ordering a highwayman again I would request 27.5 back length as I think that's optimum for guys our height (have been through a couple previously so I do have a fair idea of how they fit). All that said, how you wear your trousers may make a difference - but for me, an 80s child who wears low rise jeans, this length is not too short nor too long. Like the original poster I too hope this info might be useful for somebody else. On this subject, one conclusion I would draw from my experiences with aero and these jackets is that they like to cut and make em true to the original specs and this results in short fitting jackets which are sightly at odds with the modern take on jacket length

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I have the Aero Highwayman (just received another new black vintage HH Highwayman from the sale page), and I see the length of the jacket on you in that picture as near perfect. The sleeve length could be a little longer, depending on how you prefer the length to be. The key is how does it feel to you?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I am just under 6'2" but am very high waisted and have long legs (34"inseam) so that the 26" back length is pretty close to ideal for me IMO. I could go to just under 27" back length. The size 46 brown goatskin Highwayman (second picture) has a 28" back and is too big and too long for me. The 27" sleeves "feel" too long on that jacket, which is very supple and thinner than my newest size 44 acquisition. The new size 44 is thick steerhide which might also account for the sleeves "feeling" slightly on the short side. So, I suspect that maybe the thicker jackets (steerhide and FQHH) might handle longer sleeves than the mid-weight leathers such as goat or mid-weight horsehide. Part of my reason for this thread was to open a discussion on sizing. I think that my next jacket will likely be a black mid-weight horsehide Highwayman in size 44 with 27" sleeves and either 26" or 27" back length (undecided about the back length).

schitzo

Suspended
Re: "I think that my next jacket will likely be a black mid-weight horsehide Highwayman in size 44 with 27" sleeves and either 26" or 27" back length (undecided about the back length)."

In that case it'll probably be a good idea if you can post some pictures of you wearing it from behind. FWIW the Timberland statham jacket (especially the model of a few years back that had the same collar) is the closest thing I have found to an off the peg highwayman. At just under 2 kilos it's a heavy leather too. The back length on those is 26.5" and for me (remember I'm the same height as you) I always felt like that was half an inch too short.

Of course girth is also a factor here and at a size 40 I am evidently a bit narrower than you are. You are right about the hide thickness effect though. The sleeves on that stratham were 25.75" but say if it was lambskin then sleeves could comfortably be an inch or so shorter. Regarding sleeve length, when I was measured by tailors for a tailored cashmere/wool overocoat i noticed they take the measurement from the shoulder to the thumb knuckle - which for me equates to sleeves that are 27.5" long.

Bearing in mind here that heavy horeshide sleeves may ride up a little over time you are certainly better having one with sleeves an inch too long rather than the other way round. At the end of the day it is of course down to personal preference but for me from now on my sleeves in FQHH will be 28" which i believe is the absolute threshold, as I like em long. The other end of the scale for guys like us I would say (in FQHH allowing for creases) is 26". Hope this helps. Here's a picture of me with my 28" long sleeves

aero50shalfbelt021.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Schitzo, I thought that I was the only one with long arms, but I think that your's must be every bit as long as mine. A 28" sleeve hits me slightly below the thumb joint, pretty much the same as you. The thick, stiff FQHH cuff should be less likely to flop around than mid-weight leather. Also, the sleeves should ride up with creasing as you break in the jacket. If push comes to shove, you can easily send the jacket back to Aero for shortening of sleeves at a later time if necessary, whereas I live on the other side of the Pond.

schitzo

Suspended
true, but I like these sleeves! They are exactly the same length as the ones on my levi denim jacket and i like the overhang

The FQHH certainly won't flop but I think I hear where you are coming from. By the sound of it you want the cut of your jacket to be a bit 'smarter' than I do. Is that fair comment? The other consideration (is this the elephant in the room? - i hope it's not) is maturity. Clearly you are a little longer in the tooth than I am and I suspect this changes things a wee bit. I imagine you want something that looks more fitted whereas 'rough and ready' is more acceptable for me in my world. I could be way off the mark here and if so please simply disregard alll of it!

From what you have said I suspect optimum sleeve length for you is between 25.75" and 26 allowing no room for creases. Therfore with FQHH I'd guess you should have 26.5" - 27" long sleeves. Clearly the thing you have to work out now is will the mid weight HH crease like the FQHH does? I'd guess the answer to that is no - maybe others can come in here - but if not then you better ask Amanda.

Assuming mid weight doesn't crease if I were you I'd go for 26" long sleeves and feel very confident about that, as the right arm in your picture looks perfect. I think for Amanda to suggest another inch must be her factoring in room for creasing with time. Granted, this isn't a complete answer but you are getting warmer! You now know 28 is too long and that less than 26 risks coming up a smidge short - which has to be first possibility you have to eliminate

Best wishes
Schitzo

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Well Schitzo, I would have to say that I am way longer in the tooth than you; in fact I am so old that I am almost toothless! However, I do think that the 44 heavy steerhide highwayman with 26" sleeves would "feel" better if the sleeves were 27" and really go more by the way the jacket feels than the way it looks. However, I am OK with the current fit, although I suspect that both you and I seek the "perfect" fit, rarely attainable. BTW I really like your 50's HB. Aero does make a "Half Belt De Luxe" mid-weight horsehide but am not sure that I am keen on the two large cargo pockets that seems not to have as clean a look as yours. However, the bi-swing back with the HB deluxe does offer greater freedom of movement. To me the HB might need to be a bit longer than the Highwaymen, definitely at least 27" back length. What do you think?

Peacoat

Bartender
Who is that good looking devil standing at the back of his car in the next to last picture? He looks as if he were born to wear that Highwayman while riding a motorcycle--forget the Chevy pickup and the Cadillac, he should have posed on a Harley.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Yeah Peacoat.........you and 767fo are the only ones that look somewhat happy. Even HD looks like he's ready to meet the hangman!

The first pic.........anyone know who it is. That jacket has some serious hours on it. Looks terrific.

coffee

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot