Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New House Rule. Please Read

Feraud

Bartender
I mentioned to my wife the other day how sad it looks to see dating couples immersed in their separate cell phones. If there is ever a time to not give a damn about what's happening on the other end of your phone it is when out with a lady. Fingers crossed my son finds the presence of a woman more interesting than some silly rectangular piece of plastic.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
in an entirely unsubdued, completely unabashed voice, about what he saw inside a patient during a recent operation.
Now, WHY is that people do those things?
Even if it WAS normal (for a surgeon, on a chat with a colleague OR for a long time patient chatting with another one like him/her), it is NOT normal for the rest of us. I honestly fail to understand why would anyone bring such gore subject to the "outside audience". [huh]

When it comes to answering personal questions over the phone, in public, I say :nono: and I give a short reply "I'll send you a message" - if it's about work, about my health even if it's about what's for dinner - those are not the themes I like to discuss over the phone in public.

Talbot

One Too Many
I mentioned to my wife the other day how sad it looks to see dating couples immersed in their separate cell phones. If there is ever a time to not give a damn about what's happening on the other end of your phone it is when out with a lady. Fingers crossed my son finds the presence of a woman more interesting than some silly rectangular piece of plastic.

Amen. I had exactly that situation at the table next me at the restaraunt the other night.

My wife and I ultimately decided they were texting their respective spouses.

Good thing they were able to eat their meals with a fork....

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps those reading and commenting on this issue may be of help in finding a science fiction short story that I read many years ago - possibly as far back as the 1950's.
The story was about a future (now, as it turned out) in which all common people are issued electronic devices that they have to carry and monitor and follow instructions from about their work.
The "twist" was that only the very rich and important people did NOT have to carry those devices and be "connected" at all times. Privacy and solitude were reserved for the rich and privileged class.
Instead of everyone trying to get more of the electronic chains, the goal, or at least the wish of most people, was to get of them entirely.

I've been trying to remember the title or author or just find the story itself in an old SF anthology, but so far have had no luck. If anyone can help with locating it, I would appreciate it.

I would LOVE to know more about this, as well! Good luck in finding it.

:rolleyes: Ugh.

Good thing they were able to eat their meals with a fork....

:rofl:

I've come to the conclusion that cell phones are like yawns. Whenever I'm with someone & they see someone else with theirs, out it comes. I'm guilty of this myself & I have a meager sliding phone that I talk to maybe three people on.

With ipads being issued in schools now (starting with 2nd graders, no less) & everyone everywhere I go with something annoyingly electronic, I'm happy with what I have. Think I'll carry a book just to irritate the techie's. ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have a new smart phone, it's so damn smart that I can't work out how to transfer all the numbers over from my previous phone.
Guess I'll have to stop being friends with a bunch of people for a while!
How many times do you see that? Last time that I was out with my wife, we saw a couple, barely said a word. Phone fiddle, phone fiddle, phone fiddle. All the time. I leant over to my wife and said in a low tone. If he doesn't put that ****ing phone away, I'm going to shove it up his arse, so damn far, that when it rings, he'll get heartburn.

That did it, I must have hit the giggle button, she went into howls of laughter, told me off for wrecking her make-up.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I believe that a lot of poor phone etiquette is about ego.

'There is something somewhere else that demands my attention. I can't help being important. I'll get to you in a minute'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav