Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Jacket Fan Just Joined

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

I have just this minute joined the forum having been a keen fan for some time. My name is Bob Dick and I have an extensive vintage wardrobe that’s been built up over many years.

I also have a number of repro jackets which comprise:
Eastman Aero A–2
Eastman Roughwear A-2 (x2)
Eastman Pearl Harbor
Lost World’s Dubow
Aero Leather 1938 pattern A-2
Real McCoys Isola A-2
Real McCoys Japan Real McQueen (v.hilts)
Buzz Rickson Roughwear A-2 1942 Model
Buzz Rickson Roughwear B-10
Buzz Rickson B15b modified (352nd fighter group patch)
Buzz Rickson B-15
Buzz Rickson L2A

I personally love the RMC and Buzz jackets for their quality and authenticity. Of recent, I am concerned at the quality of Eastman hides – some of them look very flimsy??!!

I will be going to Beltring this year and hope to do some buying and trading.

Look forward to sharing in all our enthusiasms.

Bobbyball

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Quite a collection

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge.

That's quite a collection! I hope you have a digital camera and some time, because my own post will surely be followed by several damands for
Pictures!
pictures!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Is that all you've got Bob...

Really, you're going to have to start going out there and stocking up by the looks of things!!;) Actually, nice collection Bob!! I wonder what you'll be sporting next time we bump into each other at Duxford!!
I really fancy seeing the old Virgil Hilts number!! Oh, and Bob, give a wee appraisel of the jackets too if you can. It would be really appreciated and helps the rest of us when we want to part with our wallets for a sterling piece of hide!!
Good to have you on board!! Long overdue (and maybe next year, you'll make the OLD FEDORIANS dinner in London.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome chaps,

I will try to evaluate the jackets I have. This is always a subjective thing but I do have my favourites.

I was planning to make my next purchase one of the Few jackets I’ve seen on their website. Most likely a Bronco with the Crown Chevron zipper. My concerns are the cost of around £800 plus shipping and duties!!

Also, I would want to see the hide choice beforehand as some of the jackets I have seen, the hides vary wildly.

I used to own an original roughwear but it was not really wearable so I traded it in at Aero for some cash and a 1938 contract repro.

I forgot to mention that I do have an original 1938 Gordon & Ferguson Ferry Pilot’s coat in immaculate condition – it even has the original paper factory docket still inside the internal pocket! Only gets worn on very cold days and occassionally on summer holidays in Scotland!

Paddy, I love the Dubow you posted recently – I wish my frame was as slight as yours because I would find a lot more A2s that fitted me. I remember meeting up with you and admiring your original Aero. I did have a RMNZ Dubow in a 44 but it was very tight on me – I ended up trading it for a Lost Worlds size 46.

For anyone who is interested, I am planning to go to Beltring this year – I am meeting up with some fellow Jacketeers and may do some buying/trading if there is anything around this year. My dream repro at the moment is the Werber early contract with the hookless Talon zipper. I have seen these on Japanese sites but they are pretty rare.

My email is bob@duo-studio.com

I will try to get to Flying Legends but there is a family gathering that weekend and my relations do not share in my particular obsession with planes and jackets.

Bobbyball

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The VLJ boys at Duxford (photo: Paddy, BT, Alan, Bob)

Just to resurrect this old chestnut of a photo from a few years ago at Flying Legends, ...Famous Four go on adventures! Boys from the Vintage Leather Jacket/ The 20th C. forums rendezvous, "SOMEWHERE IN ENGLAND!"

(L-R: PADDY; BT; ALAN E, BOB)

DuxfordAirShow2004001.jpg

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Hi Bob !

Wow what a collection you have there and welcome !

Here's my little star of the week and one you are after but not in your size I'm afraid ! Enjoy...........;)

werber002.jpg
[/IMG]

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi All,

Apologies for not posting recently. I’ve been away on business and things have got really busy.

I promise to post some pics of my jackets soon. I had a look on the History Preservation Associates sight last night and see they are offering the Buzz Rickson Werber B-2.

From the pics it looks like a fine jacket and one of the more unusual repros that they do. Does anyone here have one or know anything about these jackets? It looks very impressive and has lovely details such as the Hookless zip. I may order one of these later in the year as they are offering them in sizes up to 46.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Updated jacket collection

Thought it high time I updated the jacket collection: Some have gone to better homes, others kept and many new additions:

Repro USAAF
Buzz Rickson Aero Leather 1938 pattern A-2
Real McCoys Japan Real McQueen (v.hilts)
Real McCoys Dubow russet hh
Real McCoys G-1
Buzz Rickson Roughwear B-10
Buzz Rickson B15b modified (352nd fighter group patch)
Buzz Rickson B-15b
Goodwear Roughwear horsehide (27752)
Goodwear Doniger goat

Original USAAF
A-2 Cable Raincoat (no-name contract) named 306th
A-2 Roughwear 23380 named CBI

USN
M422a H&L Block named pilot
M422a H&L Block
AN-6552 H&L Block
Edmund Church M422a
Cagleco Sportswear J7823
Werber Sportswear J7823
Gordon & Ferguson M69F coat

US Army
M47 Parka
M48 Parka
M1951 Parka

all these parkas are mint examples

I also have an early 1980s Luftwaffe (possibly helicopter pilot) grey goatskin.

I do not have any Eastman jackets, mainly because I have an issue with the sizing although this has changed a lot recently.

Very, very impressed with Goodwear and hope he continues in his efforts. The latest Japanese horsehide I have is unbelievable – full of grain and character.

derleicaman

One of the Regulars
Incredible collection! I am jealous. I only have an Aero Leather, Lost Worlds repro A-2s, and a Gison and Barnes and Flight Suits A-2s. Still hate to admit I also still have a couple of Cockpit A-2s from when I didn't know any better 15-20 years ago.
I have a number of military issue CWU-36P and CWU-45P jackets which are very cool, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany