Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New jacket issues

Edward

Bartender
Yeah I'm pretty screwed as I love the cordovan half belts I see posted here. But that only comes in Aero CXL FQHH or Heavy Steer. If this jacket breaks in OK by mid-April I'll pull the trigger over the summer on the Aero HB in cordovan.

The tumbled fqhh is your answer, then. Sloan's Boardracer is in that, phoros round here somewhere; looks good and much softer right out the trap.

zebedee

One Too Many
I remember really not liking my Aero (1st one...) when it arrived. I found it too heavy, like wearing a suitcase, wondered what I'd spent the dough on, etc. Then, it broke in after a few weeks, the penny dropped...

...and I became hooked. As it became more malleable, I swear it got a bit lighter (or I just got fitter wearing it).

Seriously, just grow a pair and break the thing in. You'll learn after your 4th or 5th or 6th jacket that the hardest thing about leather is finding a great fit. That jacket you have there is a great fit. It is worth the effort to tame it.

Seriously, what GregO said. This is a really silly thread! It's a leather jacket. At its worst, how freaking bad can it be? Cuchulain, mate, just wear it & forget about it. Look at the way it fits you - do you really want to let a jacket like that go? You mentioned something about not wanting to get creases where they don't belong... That's not how you should be thinking about it. I think you are a little overprotective of it. I mean, you're already thinking about how doing whatever to the jacket may affect the sale. No wonder you find it uncomfortable. Just... Either sell it or if you really love this jacket, damage it. Seriously. Slam it on the floor and kick it around a bit. You'll obsess over what you've done for a few days and then you'll forget all about it. Can't sell it, can't make it new again... All that's left is to wear it. Rain, snow, whatever, it'll become your to go jacket and that's what it's all about.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Seriously, what GregO said. This is a really silly thread! It's a leather jacket. At its worst, how freaking bad can it be?

First world problems no doubt...

I'm wearing the jacket and putting the work in. I guess my real issue is, I feel like even if I do "break it in" it's still going to be super uncomfortable and stiff, and that's after dedicating years to it. May just be easier to get a softer more malleable leather out of the box.

I'll check back in mid-April and see where the jacket is at.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero posted a picture on Facebook with a new mid weight cordovan today, that might be your answer?

Anyone know more about this?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
After its broken-in it shouldn't be uncomfortable or stiff. That's what breaking it in means...how
long that will take is the question. I've heard some say it could take years. Although it might still be heavy, maybe it's the heavyness that bothers you. Some companies make great jackets in the 3-3.5 per oz range and those might be the ones for you. I think this 4 oz leather or its no good thinking makes people buy jackets that aren't rite for them. More isn't always better when it comes to garment leather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
maybe the combination between leather thickness + liner thickness give different experiences from loungers here using the same hide.
Personally I never see or feel FQHH, but if cow is considered heavier than horse, then my 1.8mm cow would be considered heavy since from conversion chart it would be around 4oz too, however I use thin lining, so the total weight and stiffness is bearable, however I imagine if under a thick leather there is a layer of "blanket" as a liner then it must be cumbersome to wear, and limiting movements.

I don't know about horse, but with my cow, at first it was stiff and stayed stiff for awhile, but after 6months or so when it began to soften in places, then the process was rapid and happening everywhere, and then after 1 yr I washed it in washing machine, now it is quite soft but still heavy, or even feel heavier because it sags more than when new, so all the seams inside where multiple leather stitched together rest deeper into my shoulder and collarbone, and that is a new experience to deal with a heavy leather+ thin liner combo.

Peacoat

Bartender
After its broken-in it shouldn't be uncomfortable or stiff. That's what breaking it in means...how
long that will take is the question. I've heard some say it could take years. Although it might still be heavy, maybe it's the heavyness that bothers you. Some companies make great jackets in the 3-3.5 per oz range and those might be the ones for you. I think this 4 oz leather or its no good thinking makes people buy jackets that aren't rite for them. More isn't always better when it comes to garment leather.
Actually he has a 3 oz. leather; it is an Alexander Leathers with Horween CXL. This really isn't an especially tough hide or one that is difficult to break in. All it takes is a bit of time and a willingness to wear the jacket in different conditions. I think I have four of the Horween 3 oz. FQHH, and none caused me any difficulties. It is a relatively light weight hide, compared to some of the the dedicated moto jackets I have. I agree with GregO and Monitor above: just wear it and it will become soft and comfortable in a few months.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I disagree with the notion subtly espoused by some that, even though the OP finds the jacket entirely uncomfortable, he should nevertheless endure the uncomfortable jacket for as long as it takes to make it comfortable; and, anything less is somehow anemic. I have briefly worn a heavy, rigid FQHH jacket. It was onerous and taxing to wear a mere few minutes. There is no way I would endure the considerable effort and associated discomfort to break in the jacket. Why should I burden myself in this manner – possibly for years – when there are several stellar HH options available that are far more comfortable right out of the box?

To be clear, I am not criticizing anyone who pursues the foregoing course, and perhaps even enjoys the break-in process. Rather, my point is simply that, if someone is displeased with an uncomfortable leather, he need not endure the discomfort as a sign of his machismo.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I disagree with the notion subtly espoused by some that, even though the OP finds the jacket entirely uncomfortable, he should nevertheless endure the uncomfortable jacket for as long as it takes to make it comfortable; and, anything less is somehow anemic. I have briefly worn a heavy, rigid FQHH jacket. It was onerous and taxing to wear a mere few minutes. There is no way I would endure the considerable effort and associated discomfort to break in the jacket. Why should I burden myself in this manner – possibly for years – when there are several stellar HH options available that are far more comfortable right out of the box?

To be clear, I am not criticizing anyone who pursues the foregoing course, and perhaps even enjoys the break-in process. Rather, my point is simply that, if someone is displeased with an uncomfortable leather, he need not endure the discomfort as a sign of his machismo.

Well, we agree on something. I have never understood this business of wearing uncomfortable jackets like a badge of honour. It’s just like those drunk people you see in curry houses forcing themselves to eat as hot a curry as they can get down them, and sweating and panting as the claim to be loving it.

But his jacket is not straight Horween CXL. It’s what SB call Warhawk and is a heavy Horween chrome tanned hide treated after tanning with oils as far as I can make out. I had a swatch of the chrome FQHH they had before they started using this and if it’s like that it’s stiffer than CXL. But that did soften fairly easily with kneading so this should too. But if he doesn’t like heavy leather and finds it uncomfortable why should he have to persist? Just sell it and buy a jacket made of lighter hide of which there are now many very nice examples from different companies on the market.

zebedee

One Too Many
'It’s just like those drunk people you see in curry houses forcing themselves to eat as hot a curry as they can get down them, and sweating and panting as the claim to be loving it.'

THAT'S ME! I LOVE THOSE CURRIES!

Sell the jacket and buy a mid-weight one. I notice little difference between my mid-weight and full-weight jackets, though. I just found it a matter of a few weeks of wear, like boots.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
Horween Chromexcel FQ Horsehide and straight chrome tanned FQ are very different items. Firstly during initial sorting Horween select the very best skins to be finished using their unique Chromexcel tannage, the skins that don't make the grade for Chromexcel are then used for other finishes. Part of the Chromexcel tanning is a procedure called hotstuffing where the skins are impregnated with oils, greases and waxes. These waxes in Chromexcel will soften up with the warmth of your body and wear.Leaving your jacket in a warm room or close to a radiator (close but not on) before putting on in the morning will result in not only a toasty warm jacket but it will also feel nice and supple. Chrome tanned horsehide does not soften in the same way. Chromexcel horsehide will break in and soften up sooner than just chrome tanned. SB do not have Chromexcel Horsehide.

As mentioned before our Chromexcel Tumbled horse could be a favorable option. It is our Regular Chromexcel that has gone through an extra process at the end where the skins are put in large oak drums and literally tumbled, this help accelerate the break in process and leave the skins a bit more supple from the word go.

Some more breaking in tips http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
People are right, ofcourse, if you do not want to put yourself through the discomfort of breaking it in, then that's okay. 21th century, first world, why put unnecessary discomfort upon you while there are so many other options.

On the other hand, people usually overexaggerate about the break in process. They say it takes months and months, but that's not true if you actually wear it every day and for more than just a few minutes commuting to work. When I received my first Aero FQHH jacket, a Teamster in extra thick FQHH (it's closer to 4 oz, seriously), it would stand on its own and a family friend joked I looked like wearing a couch over my shoulders. But still, after only a few weeks of wearing it daily working in the garden and walking the dogs, it was all buttery soft. My best advice. Wait for a good rain, put on the jacket and a waterproof fedora and walk in the rain for an hour. When you watch tv, roll it up and sit on it. Then roll it up the other way and sit on it. Beat the hell out of that stupid thing. Question remains.. why? Because, imho, broken in Horween leather looks better than anything I have seen so far and it's well worth a little effort.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Chrome tanned hides do not soften with heat like CXL does but they don’t get so stiff in the cold either. Judging by the CFQHH swatches I’ve had it softens about the same as CXL but once soft it doesn’t stiffen up again in the cold like my twenty years old well broken in CXL jacket still does.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
People are right, ofcourse, if you do not want to put yourself through the discomfort of breaking it in, then that's okay. 21th century, first world, why put unnecessary discomfort upon you while there are so many other options.

On the other hand, people usually overexaggerate about the break in process. They say it takes months and months, but that's not true if you actually wear it every day and for more than just a few minutes commuting to work. When I received my first Aero FQHH jacket, a Teamster in extra thick FQHH (it's closer to 4 oz, seriously), it would stand on its own and a family friend joked I looked like wearing a couch over my shoulders. But still, after only a few weeks of wearing it daily working in the garden and walking the dogs, it was all buttery soft. My best advice. Wait for a good rain, put on the jacket and a waterproof fedora and walk in the rain for an hour. When you watch tv, roll it up and sit on it. Then roll it up the other way and sit on it. Beat the hell out of that stupid thing. Question remains.. why? Because, imho, broken in Horween leather looks better than anything I have seen so far and it's well worth a little effort.

I does look better than anything else and that’s why people like it. But is will never be as comfortable as lighter FQHH. Not even after twenty years of wear. Plus, if like most here you have a few jackets it can be hard to wear just one every day.

I still can't imagine or visualize all these people who advise 'walking in the rain' to get their FQHH jackets soaked...or even jumping in the shower wearing a new jacket ( better than getting soaked in the rain, I suppose ). I guess there are those who would resort to this, but not me, when I can easily purchase a cheap plastic spray mist bottle and wet the leather as much as I want and wear it until dry, with out putting myself through getting soaked myself to accomplish the same thing......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21