Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Small world! I graduated in 93, but I went to a REALLY small school that you've probably never heard of, out west of Ft Worth.

Anyway, there are a few reenactments around this area but mostly I end up having to drive. Around here it is more dances and parades! If you're interested I can keep you posted on stuff coming up. If you want to check out a list of events, try the "events" section on our AAF unit website: www.armyaircorps.us

I'm always looking for new girls to recruit! :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Carolie said:
Hey, everyone! :) I'm Carolynn and I'm from Tampa, FL, soon to Louisiana in August. I'm kinda new to retro/vintage stuff, but not totally thanks to my mom's love for classic movies and fashion designing. I'm slowly learning more and *attempting* to start my own wardrobe, so if I flood you guys with questions, I apologize! lol

Thanks, and I can't wait to learn! :)
Hi Carolie! nice seeing you in the lounge:) It's great you're taking an interest in vintage clothing ....and stuff, no need to apologize for asking questions, it's how you learn...there are some great ladies in here with impeccable taste...hope you have fun!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
cztheday...I have noticed this as well...the lounge being a very nice place....MK (the big boss) runs a great place...I have loved what you posted so far and think you're a great addition to this place.....welcome to the lounge!

Amapola

Familiar Face
mysterygal-

I really like your avatar picture! You remind me of a younger Lena Olin on Alias. Have you ever seen that show? That is a topic far from vintage, but in any case, nice picture!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
no, I haven't seen the show,'alias' ....but thanks! The hubby got rid of all cable, we don't even have basic anymore!:rage: as if you can't tell, it's still a bit of a sore subject!:D The show I'm having the most withdrawls on is 'house MD'.....just love that guy *sighs*

Amapola

Familiar Face
mysterygal said:
no, I haven't seen the show,'alias' ....but thanks! The hubby got rid of all cable, we don't even have basic anymore!:rage: as if you can't tell, it's still a bit of a sore subject!:D The show I'm having the most withdrawls on is 'house MD'.....just love that guy *sighs*

I can't tell you how many times we have discussed getting rid of cable, but then we chicken out because we enjoy TLC's "What not to Wear" and the Food Channel--just about anything they have on. I swear, we're not t.v. junkies, but there are a couple programs we like to watch!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol it's funny how you can get hooked...my mother and father in-laws are absolutely hooked on American Idol, I still don't get what they see in that show... last week, they have literally rushed my daughter through our front door said,'bye,gotta go' and that was it cause she didn't want to be late for her show:rolleyes: I loved shows like Nova and the history channel.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another New Gal

Hello all,

I've been reading this board for weeks and weeks now, learning all kinds of nifty stuff, and finally decided to take the plunge and join in!

I live on the coast of Maine, and have been a vintage-living enthusiast literally all my life -- my grandparents lived in a sort of a time capsule house where nothing had changed since 1945, and I guess it kind of rubbed off on me! I've been dressing vintage since my early teens -- which were longer ago than I care to remember -- and have long since become well known around town as "that forties chick." Most of my wardrobe is home-sewn from original patterns, another skill I picked up from my grandmother, but I do have a closet full of genuine vintage which I reserve for special occasion wear.

By profession, I'm a writer -- I do PR-type work, but also freelance. In particular, I've written and published extensively on the history of radio broadcasting, specializing in the programs and personalities of the 1930s, another interest that goes back to childhood for me. What can I say, I was an unusual kid....

So that's the capsule intro -- I'm looking forward to learning even more, and sharing anything helpful I might be able to share!

All the best

Lizzie from Maine

Amapola

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Hello all,

I've been reading this board for weeks and weeks now, learning all kinds of nifty stuff, and finally decided to take the plunge and join in!

I live on the coast of Maine, and have been a vintage-living enthusiast literally all my life -- my grandparents lived in a sort of a time capsule house where nothing had changed since 1945, and I guess it kind of rubbed off on me! I've been dressing vintage since my early teens -- which were longer ago than I care to remember -- and have long since become well known around town as "that forties chick." Most of my wardrobe is home-sewn from original patterns, another skill I picked up from my grandmother, but I do have a closet full of genuine vintage which I reserve for special occasion wear.

By profession, I'm a writer -- I do PR-type work, but also freelance. In particular, I've written and published extensively on the history of radio broadcasting, specializing in the programs and personalities of the 1930s, another interest that goes back to childhood for me. What can I say, I was an unusual kid....

So that's the capsule intro -- I'm looking forward to learning even more, and sharing anything helpful I might be able to share!

All the best

Lizzie from Maine

Your grandparents sound like that movie, "Blast from the Past"! And you have original patterns? Wow! I am desperately looking for one I can make an evening dress from! They are very hard to come by. I admire your ability to sew all your clothing---my abilities are very basic, and I have a 2 hour time limit with my machine, then we aren't civil with one another after that!

We have a c.d. set with a lot of Frank Sinatra's radio music on it. I love the young clear sound he had back then. But I don't know a lot about radio personalities from back then. Are there any books readily available you would recommend for reading?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Amapola said:
We have a c.d. set with a lot of Frank Sinatra's radio music on it. I love the young clear sound he had back then. But I don't know a lot about radio personalities from back then. Are there any books readily available you would recommend for reading?

Well, I think a good basic introduction to vintage-era radio is a book called "Raised on Radio", by Gerald Nachman -- it's one guy's reminiscence of the programs and personalities of his childhood, and while it's not a scholarly-type history text, it's very enjoyable reading. It came out in the late '90s, but is still in print.

My own book, which came out last year, is a biography of Amos and Andy, who while controversial today were the first big personality stars of radio -- it's a pretty specialized work, but I can never turn down a chance to plug it!

There are also a lot of online resources about "old time radio", as it's called -- google around a bit, and you'll find all kinds of neat stuff.

I love the young Sinatra -- makes me feel all mooshy inside!

Lizzie from Maine

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Hi!

Hello all, my name is Rachel and I'm a 21 year old University Student in Ireland. I found this site when I was looking for info on Besame Cosmetics, and reading the reviews of the ladies here gave me the final push toward ordering some (still waiting for delivery...). I love this forum - it's so nice to find other people with the same interests, not many other vintage fanatics in lil ol' Ireland :( But everyone here seems really nice and friendly, which eases the pain a little! I've been into old movies since I was a child, and my grandmother used to make me watch them and then sing Judy Garland songs for the rest of the family! I love all fashion and make-up from the 20's-50's, and the music, and I love Art Deco objects and decor. There's not much scope for buying vintage clothes where I live, so I mainly buy repro, but reading some of the other posts has inspired me to try making my own (fingers crossed, I haven't sewed anything since I was a kid!). I'm really looking forward to hanging out here, and getting to know everybody.

Thanks!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Sorry to post twice in a row, but wasn't sure if I should start a new thread... Just wondering if anyone has read The Bombshell Manual of Style by Laren Stover, and what they thought of it?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I never formally introduced myself...

Hi ladies!

I'm Heather and I'm from Boston. I currently work downtown at Fidelity Investments planning client meetings and events. Pretty enjoyable. I also dance in Thru the Keyhole Burlesque -Miss Bella Inferno is my stage name (I prefer Bella Hell but none of the other girls liked it :( ).

I recently got a scholarship from Hofstra University Law on Long Island and will soon be moving there! I don't know the island area at all so if anyone can help assist me in any way, please do!

I got into "vintage" through furniture and architecture - I studied the history of design and fell in love with Mies and Corb - then the clothing and makeup and culture. I ravenously devour non-fiction about WWII, Paul Fussell being my favorite author currently (see my sig, below).

Hm, guess that's all!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone!

I hope I haven't been rude by posting without properly introducing myself first!

I'm a stay at home mom to 4 kids, ranging in ages from 4 to 12 ( with 9 year old twins thrown in for good measure:) ).

My parent's were young adults during the '40's. My dad was a WWII vet, in the 643rd Armed Tank Division in Europe. When I was born, in '66, my parent's were considered "Older" (my mom was only 42), nowadays lots of women are having babies at that age and no one bats an eye, back then it was a different story, especially for a first baby... Everything centered around my aunts and uncles, all of that '40's era. My parent's home was "modern" but my relatives homes stayed back in time. My aunt's wore their hair in the same long roles and waves from the time they were young until they passed away. '40's music and movies were what I was raised on.

Fortunately, for me, I married a man whose family values are very similar to mine, and I have fallen into the housewife role quite comfortably. My kids friends think we're cool with our retro look home, I even have pink flamingos around the pool!

I really enjoy reading all the posts here on the Lounge, because none of my friends would have the faintest idea what setting lotion is, or what pincurls are or who Nat King Cole is!

C

cherry_bomb

Hi, my name's Heathyr. I'm 23. I'm originally from Massachusetts but now call Philadelphia home. My dad "officially" got me interested in WW2. We'd sit home and watch old war movies and he'd pull out books of pinup girls. Then one day searching for apron patterns I came across the lounge. I wish I could dress like I want to every day- girdle, heels, seamed stockings and long full skirts, cardigans and little hats... but practicality is much better for my job. *sigh* oh well- one day!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy