Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

evelyns-niece

New in Town
Hi

Hi, wanted to introduce myself -

My nickname is Z, and I recently found the Fedora Lounge through searching for knitting websites. I love to knit and crochet, and I stumbled on Diary of a Vintage Girl's blog where I so want the book she's in, A Stitch in Time. I think she had a link to here. Anyway, I can't stop reading everything here! I am new to vintage obsessions, but I'm fast becoming obsessed. :)

Happy New Year!:)

imported_miss_molly

Familiar Face
Hello!

Hello everyone!

I'm fairly new around here and even though I've been lurking for a while and have already posted in another thread I felt it was time to intorduce myself. I'm 19 years old, live in the UK and am currently studying animal science at university. I have only just started to become interested in vintage fashion and this forum as been a great inspiration. I was just wondering how many of you other ladies live in the UK and how you get on with buying vintage items? It just seems that there is a lot more available on american websites....

I'mSuzyParker

Familiar Face
I just started posting, but have come here for vintage ideas and tips for a while now. I love all vintage eras - from the 1920s Flapper look through 1959. My favorite "classic" things are Sinatra music, Hemingway novels, the Philadelphia Story, Bringing up Baby, vintage clothes, makeup, jewelery, etc, etc. Love this website.

Best, Suzy

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I think it's a great idea. Other sites that I visit have such threads and other members seem to check them regularly.

So, to new members that may post in this thread, Welcome to the Lounge!

bendingoak

Vendor
I like the idea myself.

I will introduce myself to everyone being somewhat new to the fedora Lounge.

My name is John and I'm a native New Yorker who now lives out in the west coast. I was in the fire service for 7 years and the fire service Honor guard for 2 years before having to give it all up because of chronic neck and back pain. I also teach part time a fire safety class to rehab kids who had started fires. I have been doing this for over 3 years and still do. with a help of a couple of hatters I went to my second love fedora's and starting making them full time this year.

[

Spencer

New in Town
Hi all,

New here. I am really enjoying your site. Although I am not a person that exudes a style that is reminiscent of the years gone by, there are many things about this site that I can relate to. I am a fan of the western style hat, Filson outerwear, predominantly their waxed cotton. I also like Pendelton shirts, wool jackets that are of the style of fieldwear, cowboy boots and logger boots. I spend most of my time outside as I work outside and live on a horsefarm. I enjoy outdoor sports such as hiking the high peaks in the Adirondack mountains, camping (using a canoe)and snowmobiling. My tent is the old style canvas tent called that was made popular by the famous canoe camper. It is called the campfire tent. I also enjoy hunting and love the time I get to spend afield with my beagles while rabbit hunting.

I am probably not your average FL member, but I can appreciate and respect the fact that most members take a great deal of pride in their appearance and it shows in their style of dress.

Since I have been spending some time in this forum, I find myself looking around at the people that are out and about. When I see someone that is dressed in a style similar to what you embrace, I find myself wondering if they might happen to be a member of the FL.

Thanks for a great site

Rob

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
I was thinking we need a thread here in the hat section for new members to introduce themselves.
I know that I miss some newbies because they may first post in a thread that I may not look at.
What do ya'll think?

I think you've got a great idea there, RBH. Gives us all a chance to meet the new folks.

bendingoak, welcome. Those are some nice looking examples you've posted.

Thwack

Familiar Face
Well this is my first post, and where better to start? I've always loved hats and since my first in high school, a Kangol pork pie (now in sad shape) I've tried to always wear something classier than a baseball cap. Now I have my first nice hat on the way, should be at home waiting for me, and I can't wait to try my hand at bashing it and post a few pictures. I've been driving everyone nuts talking about it, I'm sure you can all relate with that. It's a dark brown Akubra Fed IV... the Mailman better have left me some love.

Gary D.

New in Town
This is my third or fourth post, so far. I stumbled upon this site when trying to describe the private investigator in my 1930s book--did he wear a fedora?--and so from there.

I was a frequent poster to another, out-of-country, site, but I found there was a lot of chatting about local affairs about which I knew little or nothing--and had little interest in anyway.

I just picked up a Humphrey Bogart movie (Conflict), circa 1945, my favorite period for the actor. Years ago I probably watched it, but am looking forward to putting it into the VCR and sitting back for an hour or two of Bogey.

Garu

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Great Idea!!!

RBH said:
I know that I miss some newbies because they may first post in a thread that I may not look at.
What do ya'll think?

Since you did welcome me I shall also return this favour to newcomers and welcome all new members - by the way RBH should be also merited somehow for his initial gesture towards so many joiners encouraging lurkers to start posting!

Tom

mentha

Familiar Face
Hi there!

Hello ladies!
Another new face (oh dear... no avatar yet... remind me to fix that!).
I'm Mentha and I'm 28. I live in The Netherlands with my boyfriend and our 2 cats. I've come here at the Lounge several times while searching for vintage/retro hairstyling tips and after ending up here and reading many other topics, I finally decided it was time to join.
My interests are mainly 40's-50's. My biggest inspiration is (yes, who else?) Betty Page. She was such a natural beauty, a sort of 'girl next door with a twist'. I had my bangs cut about a year ago, first having them fairly long, going shorter each time. I don't cut it myself though. I'm far too afraid to end up crooked!
I don't dress vintage, though I would love to. In daily life as well. Problem is, I don't really know what to look for and I don't have a large budget. I don't really know where to look either. Online isn't really an option for me. Most often it's too expensive for me and I really like to try something on first. I do make my own clothing (when I have time, which isn't much), so I'm planning on buying some patterns to work with. I'd love to draft my own, but I don't have any knowledge or experience in that area yet ;) Because of my length (1.75 m), which is mainly in my legs (don't be jealous please, I can never find trousers that are long enough...) drafting my own patterns would be my best bet I think.

Wow, long story! I'll stop now, before I bore you all to sleep ;) If you have questions, please ask them and I'll do my best to answer them.

And now I'm off to reading more on this wonderful forum :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
There actually is a forum new members thread, but it's in the Observation Bar where many of us venture rarely, if at all. I like the idea of one here in the Hats section where we can meet the new folks who are likewise "hat-centric"! :eusa_clap

So, welcome all! Don't forget to post eary and often!

Cheers,
Tom

VintageRed

Familiar Face
The New Girl

Hi hi everyone!

I have to admit, I'm a bit of a latecomer to the fun that is 40's vintage, and I'm even more ashamed to admit that I'm hooked since watching an AMC show called Mad Men, about the advertising execs on Madison Ave, NYC. That's what's gotten me into this stuff, but I'm loving every second.

Ok, so aside from that, I live in NYC (Staten Island to be exact), and I have this hairbrained idea for my wedding anniversary in April to take my Coast Guard husband out on the town in full 40's regalia. I've got long red hair, so I've been working on learning the hairstyles and it's actually becoming on my face, so I'm thrilled about that.

My problem that I could use a little skilled help with is that I'm what's nowadays called a "plus size". I wear a 16/18 in most of my clothes and I'm aside from having a dress custom made ($$$$) at Stop Staring or somewhere, I have no idea where I can go looking for that era of clothing in my sizes.

Any advice you all could give, local or not, internet or not, I would be endlessly grateful for.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, & on top of that, I've had the BEST fun cruising your forum today! You all look fab!

~Danielle (AKA: Red)
:D

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I"m not exactly new anymore: but I'll post and extend a hearty welcome to the fish who are newer than I :)

Hope you all have a swell time around the board. Everyones really neat.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'll extend my welcome to all the new folks here as well. "new member" threads are probably developing in every room of the FL, so it is pretty easy to miss new threads from time to time.

Enjoy the Lounge and post often!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran