Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
hats and jazz

I've noticed several members, either by their comments, user name or avatar, who appear to be jazz or blues lovers. Does anybody play and do you pick the hat you wear to match the music you're going to play ?

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Introduction

Hello All;
I'm new here too, been lurking and learning for a few months. I'm a pastor here in South Central Kentucky. I enjoy woodworking, orgainic gardening, custom knives, my church and hats! My current crop of felt hats are Stetsons; a black Sovreign and a brown Weekender. I made my first post today; ordered my first Campdraft. I'm enjoying this forum and I look forward to getting to know you all and joining in the great discussion. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and opinions!
Preacher Man
Philippians 4:13

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Welcome, Brad!!!

Brad:

It's great to have you here on this site. I checked out your website and all I can say is: WOW!!!! I share your passion for that high/tight collar look. Your pictures area amazing. I don't know if I have seen anyone who looks as good as you in that high collar look! Amazing, just amazing!!!

Mark

tightcollarman said:
Hello everyone ... great idea as a way to introduce new members. My name is Brad, and I live in Greater Vancouver, BC, in western Canada.
I have an insatiable interest in attire from the 1890s through 1910s. In my opinion, the most elegant and handsome look in formal fashion of all the decades, albeit, not the most comfortable. My "sub-interest" is the high, stiff, detachable collars of the era - particularly the "lap front" Imperial style that completely overlaps in front, not leaving the "V" shaped gap that was also common.

My vintage wardrobe is growing, with the recent aquisition of a tailcoat, probably from the 40s. Still looking for a reasonably-priced vintage top hat, ivory silk waistcoat and tie.

I volunteer at a museum, of which an historic 1865 house is a part. The various re-enactments throughout the year gives me an opportunity to actually wear the stuff in public, which is great.

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
Hello, my name's Morgana. (prefer Eva, always liked the name) I've recently heard of this place from a friend.
I've had a fascination of anything 20s/30s/40s related and make an effort to bring more of thier aesthetic into my everyday life. I collect antiques and old clothing from those eras and am slowly replacing most of my modern furniture and accessories with those from the time. (within reason of course, I do like my TV and iPod, lol) Anything art deco related I have a habit of going a little crazy for. My friends still laugh about how when we were watching House on Haunted Hill, all I could really focus on was "oh, my goodness! the vannacutt asylum looks so goregeous from the outside...I love how it has an art deco look, blablabla" One of many examples of how I can be a total dork on that subject.
Sewing is also one of my favorite hobbies and getting into the vintage life is one of the main reasons I picked it up; to repair and remake.
I'm also a WW1/WW2 nerd as well and am fascinated with the Weimar Republic and the cabaret/burlesque from there as well and as basically how I learned about Marlene Dietrich.
Marlene Dietrich, Ginger Rogers, Noah Taylor and John Cusack are my favorite actors and like any movies with them in it, ww2 movies or cheesy horror flicks are in interest of mine too. :p

Class_Act

New in Town
Salutations from a new member!

Hi all, I'm new to the Fedora Lounge. Sounds like a real swell forum! I've been wearing a fedora since highschool. Always have received interesting comments regarding it. Now I'm in my mid 20s and still think it looks great. I'm in Seattle and with all the rain we get I don't always get to wear my hats as much as I'd like. I've already found some great reading in the archives here on how to properly care for hats! I love classic cars and someday I'd like to get a Dual Cowl Phaeton or other large touring car from the 30s or late 20s.

What a time it was back then! Looking back on old photos of my grandfather he ALWAYS wore a suit and fedora. Even when he'd been out of work and times were tough he always looked dapper. I love seeing the way everyone dressed in the old black and white movies and I'm happy to have found this forum. I look forward to learning more and associating with others who appreciate the style of the bygone decades. The days of wine and roses when women wore nice dresses and men wore suits and hats. I also really enjoy the music of the 30s, 40s and 50s with the Rat Pack and other crooners and the orchestras with their beautiful string ensembles. Ah, such times! :eusa_clap

nola89

Familiar Face
Hello everyone,

My name is Brandon, I'm from New Orleans and am a university jazz student. I found this site researching a new hat to purchase and found myself wanting to become apart of this community. The people here are very respectful and knowledgeable.

-Brandon

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome new ladies!

You are all so adorable. I am looking forward to much fun!
Vivian, glad to see another SF Bay-er here, there's actually lots and lots of us!

docneg

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone

After lurking for awhile, I thought I would join the fold. The lure for me was not hats (although I have worn fedoras for many years), but the fact that there were other people out there who regularly correspond on "things retro". I just have to know you all! In my house and office, it is perpetually 1939, so I guess I have found the right place.

I have been at home with things made in the '30s and '40s all my life (I'm 55), but when people ask if I collect antiques, my response is "No." I simply like things that are well-made, durable, stylish, and beautiful. To me, that lets out 90%+ of the stuff made today.

Just to give you an idea: In my medical office, the electrocardiograph sits in a box under a table, rarely used, while the machine used every day is an oscillometric cardiograph (a Cameron "Heartometer"). This is a piece of equipment very few doctors use or even remember, yet it gives more useful information, faster and with less effort than the standard ECG, and it's beautiful! I guess I should also mention that my telephone is still a Western Electric 202.

Anyway, this would mark me for an oddball anywhere else, but I sense that this community will understand...

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Hi all,
I've been lurking around for a while reading all these faboulous and fascinating posts. Finally I got my act together and registered.
I'm currently living in Dresden, Germany. I'm a huge fan of vintage stuff and lifestyle, especially Golden Era.
I have an extreme weakspot for Art Deco design of which there is as good as none here...
I look forward to the time I'll be relaxing in the lounge,

Cheers

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
jazz fan

warmentrout said:
I've noticed several members, either by their comments, user name or avatar, who appear to be jazz or blues lovers. Does anybody play and do you pick the hat you wear to match the music you're going to play ?
Warmentrout, I wish that I played. Took piano lessons a few years ago, but got busy and didn't continue (despite the 1937 Wurlitzer butterfly grand piano I bought for that purpose!). I hope to get back to them sometime in the near future...so, the hat doesn't necessarily match my love of jazz, but it does complement it nicely.

Caz

New in Town
Hats Are Us

Greetings gentlemen,

Like so many others, I have been reading here for some time and finally decided to join the group. Been wearing hats all my life (I'm 56) and wore out a number of very good ones. A few I even have pics of, which I will be posting on appropriate threads.

Hats and hat wearing to me have been more just a part of life in the PNW timber country that I have spent most of my life in. Hunting, fishing and other outdoors activities and work simply require a mode of protection and hats were just a normal part of that.

My tendency leans more towards the the woodsman adaptation of brimmed hats rather than that of the city dweller in a hat and suit. I think my pics and chosen styles will reflect that.

Look for pics of those hats on the western hat thread, the campaign hat threat and the OR threads.

Caz

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
balgal said:
Hello new ladies!!

Vivian,

You are a very pretty lady!! What inspired you to be a hairstylist and a makeup artist?;)

From, Balgal

why thank you!
Well... I was always into experimenting with my hair growing up.. and trying a few things on friends as well. My mom was a hairdress for a short period of time when I was little so the basics were around. I was never into trying to make myself look "better" until AFTER highschool when I just decided I was going to pick up a new hobbie & try and master doing makeup. And after spending loads of money on culinary school w/no success in finding a well paid job in that field, I decided to try my hand at beauty school.

I honestly like hair & makeup so much more. I love the feeling of making a person feel better about themselves with just a simple cut or change of makeup. You could change the girl next door into a vixen with makeup, and see the confidence rise as well.

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
You are all so adorable. I am looking forward to much fun!
Vivian, glad to see another SF Bay-er here, there's actually lots and lots of us!

If only I knew where they were all hiding!!
Are there any cool hideouts/events/dances I dont know of?!
please share =)

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
jazzncocktails said:
Warmentrout, I wish that I played. Took piano lessons a few years ago, but got busy and didn't continue (despite the 1937 Wurlitzer butterfly grand piano I bought for that purpose!). I hope to get back to them sometime in the near future...so, the hat doesn't necessarily match my love of jazz, but it does complement it nicely.

Music is just like a hat, you can at anytime get it out , dust it off and start enjoying it again.

nola89

Familiar Face
warmentrout said:

Yes I am a jazz musician. I can't say that I pick my hat according to my music, but seeing all my peers and my mentors wearing hats definitely made an impression on me and is really the reason that I love hats now. I play few gigs without a hat now. On stage I feel naked without it.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
It all began in Seattle

Guess I'm still new enough to introduce myself. In the early 90s I was working in Seattle one week a month (I'm a native Southern Californian), and one of my coworkers said, "You come up here often enough, you're going to buy a hat." He was right. I visited Byrnie Utz and bought a black Stetson fedora that has been through heck with me (three house-destroying floods, business travel to nearly all fifty states, etc.).

Over the years since then, I lost my hair. Not even looking for it anymore. But baldness has made hats a health and safety requirement. A Tilley lives in my car.

Last June I looked at the poor old battered Stetson and decided it was time for a new fur felt hat. Coincident with driving to Eugene, Oregon, to pick up my son from college, I found the Australian Hat Outlet in Redding, California, and thus found Akubra. Bought a Banjo Paterson as soon as I felt the felt (isn't English a strange language?).

Wishing to learn more about Akubra, I was led by Google to the Fedora Lounge. I used to spend a lot of time on music and photography forums, but I find the congeniality and camaraderie of the Fedora Lounge superior in all ways. Y'all have made a very comfortable clubhouse!

By the way, I'm a ghostwriter by trade and I'm writing a short story I hope to call The Fedora Lounge (barring legal challenges), which would be the name of a Byrnie Utz inspired shop. The story is about a hat salesman who subtly improves young mens' behavior/character through the hats he helps them select. His motto: "Look like a hero; act like a hero."

Thanks, Z

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
nola89 said:
Yes I am a jazz musician. I can't say that I pick my hat according to my music, but seeing all my peers and my mentors wearing hats definitely made an impression on me and is really the reason that I love hats now. I play few gigs without a hat now. On stage I feel naked without it.

With your avatar of Lester Young can I assume you are a sax player ?

nola89

Familiar Face
warmentrout said:
With your avatar of Lester Young can I assume you are a sax player ?

That trademark Lester Young pork pie is an icon. Although it probably would be over-analyzing, I wonder if you can find any similarities between Lester's music and the aesthetics of the pork pie. Interesting....

Actually I'm a guitar player. I'm an avid player of gypsy style (a la Django Reinhardt for those of you that don't know) and since gypsy and trad are almost the same thing (typically varying only with instrumentation and tone of the guitar used) I play lots of trad. The music I write tends to be a combination of those elements and that of the classic post-bebop era (mid-50s to late 60s).

I say all of these things because I find that when people hear that you play jazz guitar they think "the weather channel music". I refuse to be categorized as such!:eusa_doh:

AEH

One of the Regulars
Hi from Trondheim

Gentlemen:
I have been lurking here at the Lounge for a while, and think it is proper to make a short introduction before I start posting.

I live in Norway, have "allways" had a more or less active interest in hats. I remember my father tipping his hat to the ladies on our sunday walkes when i was a boy. I bought my first hat in my early teens in the early 1960's when one of the "mens equipment" stores sold out their hat stock. (Still have it,the Royal Stetson in my avatar: "Made in Norway under license").
A visit to "Meyer the Hatter" in New Orleans in May 2006, and a very pleasant conversation with Sam and his french wife Marcelle started me in my new hat period. At Meyers I bought a Biltmore Milan porkpie, and after that I have bougth a few hats at online stores, with varying results.
The last real hat shop here in Trondheim closed down in the mid 90's, and, as far as I know, there are hardly any stores left in the whole of Scandinavia that offers anything more than a few low range Stetsons and Borsalinos at too high prices.

My hat collection now includes a Montecristi Fino Fino from Panama Hats Direct, a Beaver Brand Homburg, a Scala Milan, a Jaxon Porkpie, an Akubra Federation IV Deluxe, and there is a modified Christy's Adventurer on its way. My next hat I hope, in due time, will be a handmade beaver felt hat.

Other Interests: I used to make knives before a traffic accident made it too painfull. I now write a little about traditional knives from my district (in norwegian!) at my web site http://www.murul.no/. I also have a blog, http://blogg.murul.no/ where I will be writing about other interests, such as music, litterature, stereoviews, traditional crafts, and hats.

My main interest here at the Lounge will be the hat section, but I must admit that visits to other sections have inspired me to aquire a pair of pants from Magnoli and a halfbelt from Aero Jackets.
And I have to say: English is not my language, so if I express myself awkward or faulty, please do not feel offended. After all I probably write a better English than most of you write Norwegian :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko