Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Ladies and Gents Step Forward

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
Hello, all! Posted a version of this in The Powder Room, too.

I just signed up a few days ago, and my account was activated today. Yay!

How to start? My name is Diana, and I'm a vintage addict... No, wait! Not that kind of club.

All my life, I've felt rather awkwardly out-of-step with contemporary culture. I was born in the early 80s, but grew up listening to jazz and swing, and I'd say that still compromises about 90% of what I listen to today. I tire of contemporary pop music very easily, but I could listen to Artie Shaw all day long.

Only a relatively small portion of the clothes that I wear every day are actually vintage, but every choice I make from clothing to hair and make-up reflects a heavy vintage influence. Fashion-wise, I find The New Look (late 40s and 50s) suits me best, though I often incorporate earlier looks.

Overall, I'd say my favorite decade is the 1940s, though I've found many things to love about the 20s, 30s, and 50s! I'm a sucker for old movies, especially ones with dancing scenes.

I started getting interested in vintage dances (first swing and lindy hop, later charleston and balboa) a little over ten years ago. Though I've taken several breaks from dancing over the years, I keep coming back for more!

Looking forward to getting to know some of you!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Welcome!! Good to see someone from SB in here...I work a bit in Goleta and I'm familiar with the place. Maybe if you saw the 4th of July parade on State street you saw the WWII vehicle? I was in of them. Names Dylan or GG or Almond Joy lol.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
dgenevieve said:
Hello, all!

I just signed up a few days ago, and my account was activated today.

How to start? My name is Diana, and I'm a vintage addict... No, wait! Not that kind of club. ;)

All my life, I've felt rather awkwardly out-of-step with contemporary culture. I was born in the early 80s, but grew up listening to jazz and swing, and I'd say that compromises about 90% of what I listen to today. Only a relatively small portion of the clothes that I wear every day are actually vintage, but every choice I make from clothing to hair and make-up reflects a heavy vintage influence.

My favorite decade is the 1940s, though I've found many things to love about the 20s, 30s, and 50s! I'm a sucker for old movies, especially ones with dancing scenes.

I started getting interested in vintage dances (first swing and lindy hop, then charleston, balboa, and blues dancing) a little over ten years ago after obsessively watching, rewinding, and rewatching Swing Kids and trying to imitate the moves with my friends. Yeah, we were dorks. Though I've taken several breaks from dancing over the years, I keep coming back for more!

Looking forward to getting to know some of you! If you want to know more about me, feel free to ask. Also check out my vintage/vi fashion/beauty blog, Curve-Hugger!

:cheers1:

Cheers, ladies!

I think a lot of us did that with Swing Kids. :)

dgenevieve

Familiar Face
GranadaGuy617 said:
Welcome!! Good to see someone from SB in here...I work a bit in Goleta and I'm familiar with the place. Maybe if you saw the 4th of July parade on State street you saw the WWII vehicle? I was in of them. Names Dylan or GG or Almond Joy lol.

Thanks again for being so helpful about my sweetheart pin. :)

I actually only recently moved to SB, so I wouldn't have seen the parade last year. I assume there'll be another one in a few weeks? ;) I'll see if I can make it!

Welcome!

Just a quick note to our latest members, be sure to check the EVENTS section regularly. If you're not way out in the boondocks, there just might be an event or get-together posted that's close enough and worth your while!

While some areas around the globe are hotbeds of activity, there's interesting stuff going on all the time. Perhaps near you, so consider posting an event too!

Southern Californians, we got the Ticket to the Twenties coming up in July in that fabulous City of Industry (Yes that's is the name of the city) which is a freebie with great bands playing. Plus we are discussing the next Fedora Lounge Queen Mary event that is a great get-together, people will often make that a vacation destination to come to that one.

Let's share some cool stuff to do!

betty valentine

New in Town
hi everyone! my name is stephanie, but my friends call me marie (my middle name). I live in chicago, and I LOVE it! I've loved vintage for as long as I can remember. I was fascinated with the 40's/50's as a little girl and the fascination continued to grow as I got older. I'm a make-up artist, but my dream is to become a jazzy,bluesy lounge singer and possibly a burlesque dancer/pin-up girl. just dreaming right now, but hopefully I'll make something of it one day. ;) Chicago has a big burlesque following. And our very own Michelle L'amour is AMAZING!! If you haven't heard of her, look her up! She's fantastic.
Anywho, I hope to get to know all of you better. I was so happy to find a community of people with similar interests!

love, marie <3

Odalisque

A-List Customer
betty valentine said:
hi everyone! my name is stephanie, but my friends call me marie (my middle name). I live in chicago, and I LOVE it! I've loved vintage for as long as I can remember. I was fascinated with the 40's/50's as a little girl and the fascination continued to grow as I got older. I'm a make-up artist, but my dream is to become a jazzy,bluesy lounge singer and possibly a burlesque dancer/pin-up girl. just dreaming right now, but hopefully I'll make something of it one day. ;) Chicago has a big burlesque following. And our very own Michelle L'amour is AMAZING!! If you haven't heard of her, look her up! She's fantastic.
Anywho, I hope to get to know all of you better. I was so happy to find a community of people with similar interests!

love, marie <3

I am so jealous of Chicago's burlesque scene. San Diego's is okay but I'm in love with Vaudezilla.

Lenore

Practically Family
Introductions!

Hello Ladies!

My name is Lenore and I've been a lurker on the Lounge (primarily the Powder Room) for about 2 years now. I'm not a big poster, so I'll probably always be "New in Town" but I figured it would be polite to let everyone know who was stalking the boards.

As of now, I'm 26 years old, and I have a 17 month old little girl named Aurora. (The pic in my avatar is quite old, but very pinup-y ;) ) She's already taking after her mum as she starts dancing when I put on Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and has found her way into my red lipstick.

I'm married to a WWII nut, which suits me just fine. The only thing we watch more than The History Channel is Sentanta Sports.

I work as a secretary in an executive office that includes law offices, real estate, CPA firms, and for some reason, cattle farming, but this IS Texas so perhaps it's not so unusual after all. Right now our building is under construction, so I've got a lot of extra time on my hands since my clients all are working from their homes. (Can we say booooooored?) I've been passing the time snooping the board and watching movies on YouTube. Sad, I know. In the meantime, I'll say hello, and will probably post more in the next few weeks than any other time, but I look forward to taking part of the boards in a more proactive way than just snooping.

Happy to be here!

~Lenore

Temeti

New in Town
Hi all,
so I'm been poking 'round for a few days reading and posting before I found this bit and decided i should introduce myself.
I stumbled on this place while i was looking up hat making. I'm a theatre designer and when i like a look I try to see if I can make it and that lead me to wondering about hat making. This place was exactly what I was hoping to find. I love the vintage look, spectificaly hats and trechcoats but dont know much more than that. I'm fairly sure I'll pick up a few thing by hanging around here.
hope to see you all arounf sometime. many Aussies round here?
Cheers

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
My first post!

Hello ladies,

My name is Georgina and I am a vintage housewife. My favourite period is the 1940's and 1950's.

It is quite rare to be a housewife around here and I am often dismissed as being lazy because I don't have a 'real' job but being a vintage housewife is damn hard work!

I cook everything from scratch including bread, cookies, cakes, pies, pasta and pizzas. I avoid the supermarket instead shopping weekly at old-fashioned stores like the family butcher, the fishmarket and the greengrocer. (I've developed quite a rapport with the elderly owners and it's a real thrill when they put those little brown paper parcels in my wicker shopping basket and tip their hat at me.)

I either wear vintage clothing or clothing that I have made from vintage patterns. It makes me feel like a real lady when I leave the house in gloves, heels and a hat. I sew and knit clothes for my husband and the children but unfortunately my husband has to wear modern suits to work and my son has to wear modern uniform to school. I also make patchwork quilts, which go from a luxury to a necessity when you don't use modern quilts. Even being a mother didn't dampen my drive to be vintage. I use flat towelling nappies on my daughter and carry her either in a huge 1950's pram or wrapped up in a shawl like my Grandmother used to.

My husband initially had no interest in vintage but now he's a bigger convert than me! He loves being able to go down the pub and show off to his friends that he never has to do his own laundry and always has a hot meal on the table when he gets home from work. For his birthday just gone I got him the Dig For Victory booklets (reprints obviously) and an allotment down the road. He was thrilled but now I hardly see him!

Apart from looking after my own two children I also look after six boys, ranging in age between 9yr and 18mths, so I don't have much time to myself but when I do I like to take the children on long walks through the countryside (we're quite rural here) or go out on my Pashley bicycle. It's my pride and joy. I also collect novelty teapots and vintage cookbooks.

So this is a bit rambling but it's such a novelty to talk about what I love without being met with a derisive snort.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Like Miss Huff I posted a similar thread in the powder room but here goes.

My name is Georgina and I am originally from Rhondda Cynon Taff in Wales but now live in a very pretty, rural suburb of Cheltenham in England. I am married to my childhood sweetheart Andy and mother to our two children, seven-year-old Dylan and one-year-old Sera. And I am proud to say I am a vintage housewife.

My favourite period is the 1940's and 1950's. I just love the look, the attitude.
My mother is a very dynamic burn-your-bra feminist and so alot of my childhood was spent with my very traditional grandmothers. They were, and still are, my heros. It is them that have inspired me to be a strong-willed, independant, feminine woman again who is proud of taking care of her family, not embarrassed.

I was a burlesque dancer, well before it was recognised as that, and a model for several years before I joined the airfoirce. Neither job were quite as glamourous as I'd hoped! I left the airforce when I became pregnant with our son and have never looked back since. It is quite rare to be a housewife around here and I am often dismissed as being lazy because I don't have a 'real' job but being a vintage housewife is damn hard work! Especially since I am also a full-time carer to my father Ray and six boys other than my own two children; Daniel (7) and his brother Charlie (18mths), Deri (6) and his borther Tobi (4), and Ryan (9) and his brother Kian (6).

I either wear vintage clothing or clothing that I have made from vintage patterns. It makes me feel like a real lady when I leave the house in gloves, heels and a hat. I sew and knit clothes for my husband and the children but unfortunately my husband has to wear modern suits to work and my son has to wear modern uniform to school. I also make patchwork quilts, which go from a luxury to a necessity when you don't use modern quilts. Even being a mother didn't dampen my drive to be vintage. I use flat towelling nappies on my daughter and carry her either in a huge 1950's pram or wrapped up in a shawl like my Grandmother used to.

My husband initially had no interest in vintage but now he's a bigger convert than me! He loves being able to go down the pub and show off to his friends that he never has to do his own laundry and always has a hot meal on the table when he gets home from work. For his birthday just gone I got him the Dig For Victory booklets (reprints obviously) and an allotment down the road. He was thrilled but now I hardly see him! He particularly loves sitting down for cocktails and cigarettes in the evening.

Sorry this is another long post but I'm just so excited to find other vintage lovers like me!

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Hello new ladies!

Geiamama, is your bicycle a Pashley Princess? I covet one of those! One day!

Yes it is. Dark green with a wicker basket on the front and a hideous modern child's seat on the back that my husband has been promising to alter some how so that it looks period-appropriate. It's a remenant of the days when we were young, reckless and had money to spare!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Hi I'm a homemaker too. I hate baking and I'm not quite as vintage as you but I don't buy ready meals either. I do slow cooking which is becoming increasingly uncommon, just like being a homemaker is. I can't sew to save my life either. Otherwise my appearance would be more vintage too with elements of other historical periods too. The most vintage thing about me is perhaps the fact that I'm a homemaker and prefer a traditional division of duties. I've stopped defending my choice to be a homemaker and let people assume whatever they want to.

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Lillemor said:
Hi I'm a homemaker too. I hate baking and I'm not quite as vintage as you but I don't buy ready meals either. I do slow cooking which is becoming increasingly uncommon, just like being a homemaker is. I can't sew to save my life either. Otherwise my appearance would be more vintage too with elements of other historical periods too. The most vintage thing about me is perhaps the fact that I'm a homemaker and prefer a traditional division of duties. I've stopped defending my choice to be a homemaker and let people assume whatever they want to.

I would like to say that my life is as wonderfully organised as it sounds when I write it down. A place for everything and everything in it's place. But it's not. It's chaos! The kids always seem to have grubby faces and there are more clothes in my ironing pile than ever fits in the wardrobe!

I have a very traditional marriage too. My husband is the head of the household and expected to deal with all the 'man stuff' like the finances and putting up shelves whilst I deal with the shopping, cooking, cleaning and looking after the children. The kids know they're REALLY in trouble when they have to answer to Daddy. I pamper him with homecooked meals and never asking him to clean up around the house then in return he pampers me by treating me like a lady and spoiling me with flowers, pretty new (old) dresses and romantic treats!

SayCici

Practically Family
Welcome Geimama! It's great to have another baker and cook in here! A lot of my friends make fun of me by calling me a grandma, since I also love to sew, embroider, etc.

smokinsiren

New in Town
My First Post!

Hi gals!
I'm very new to this site, so, please bear with me and thanks for your patience! I'll start by introducing myself. My name is DeAnna and I'm 35 years old. My hobbies include baking, cooking, reading and photography. I have a true love and affinity for all things kitschy, vintage, as well as pinup, 40's and 50's culture, and the music and movies of the era. I came across this site and it immediately caught my interest. Again, I'm still trying to learn my way around here, but it's nice to meet all of you and share things in common!

MissWink

New in Town
Hello,

I just want to introduce myself here at FL.
My name is Ingrid, I'm a 30 year old girlie woman from Sweden. Been obsessed with the 40's, the 50 and the whole WWII-era since I was a child.
I've been reading the forums for a little over 2 years now and...well, it's about time to join the fun!

I work at an office and as a freelance writer, I got a precious scottish terrier named Viggo and collect pinup books (and thousands of other things...). I also have a special interest in plus size retro fashion, being a large girl myself.

Hi to you all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24